• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper 212 + i7 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

super2007

Hi, i recently installed Hyper 212 + twice now with Artic thermal paste and my idle cpu temps are: 39c/41c

No overclock, running default clock :/

case9.jpg

*not my picture*

My setup is exactly like that except with Hyper 212+ That makes 3 fans on the front + extra xigmatek fan on the HD bay and 2 fans on the back and one big fan on the top.

Is this normal? i was expecting a better temperature :/ i have cleaned out all my fans/re mounted the heatsink

Idle temps don't mean much. What are your temps under load?

Last edited:
Well you are well under TJ Max so your temps are safe. What is your Vcore set to in the BIOS?

Looks normal to me. The hyper 212+ is a great budget cooler. But whilst it performs great on sandy bridge. Remember Nehalem pulls a lot more power and outputs a lot more heat. With hyperthreading on your temps look about right. I'd imagine if your chip is a good one, you could hit 3.6ghz at least with 1.2v no sweat. And keep your temps decent. Keep stress temps below 80 and you're good :).

that must be it, because i see everyone using hyper 212+ on sandy bridge and their temps are very low

All right lets overclock and see what happens lol

you are running at 20% load in this pic :p you would be running in the mid 30's that being the case. :p

with my thermaltake ultra 120 was hitting the 80's when loading @ 4ghz. You could easily get to 3.6 on that cooler.

You want to raise you bclk frequency bit by bit ( i went up by 5 each time & keep your memory settings to default/ the lowest settings) Do that until you cant post. Up the vcore till you get a post ( go up by 0.01 each time) . then up the bclk freq again ( just rinse and repeat.) When you get to your desired feq ( say 3.6) try and boot into windows and run a stress test. If it cant get into windows or fails a stress test rapidly, again knock up the voltage a little until you are prime stable. ( you always want the lowest possible voltage to minimise heat)

That is pretty much the short and long for it. Thats how i did mine, but i wouldn't listen to that 100%. There are plenty of guides out there that you can easily follow and give you more in depth detail. ( which you will need if its your first time overclocking) That is just the VERY condensed version.

Maybe I can help a bit, I'm running an I7 870 at 3.6 (should be damn close to your 920 all things considered heat-output wise) with a ZALMAN CNPS9900 NT which is a slightly worse performer than a Hyper 212+ (defiantly not worth the money but it was free so whatever).

I get 38-40 idle and 70-73 max Prime 95 after 30 minutes so if your only hitting 61-63 then your fine. As long as you stay below 75 your golden.

Back