• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hypertransport Sync Flood Error - what is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sounds to me like something somewhere regarding HT has too much data hitting it at once... i'm not sure how HT works for AMD chips, but if it's anything like HT on Intel chips, then it just shows two logical cores for every physical core... could you turn it off?

They are talking about the Hypertransport Link.

I couldn't agree more GOD-MAN! I dont think that it is totaly down to the 5770 but its the combination of the card and my motherboard I think. Also, I have tried different bios versions, the problem is still present from the original bios all the way through to 1.C0 (latest).

However, for the simple fact that I am totaly in love with my 5770, I have aranged a pick up and replacement from ebuyer on tuesday, so I will see if a new 5770 works, to confirm if it is just the card or the mixture of the card and my board. If the problem remains then I will just change to a gtx 480 or maybeeeee a gtx 470. I wouldn't dream of changing my gd70, is an out of this world board for overclocking! its solid as a rock! and I know for sure it work flawlessly with cards other than the 5770 thanks to my old 7600GT.

Anyhoo... if it does not work still then I'll be selling the XFX 5770 brand new for like £100 (its the nice one with the full cover and heatsink like the 5800's) so £100 will be a bargin for a lucky someone lol.

I couldn't agree more GOD-MAN! I dont think that it is totaly down to the 5770 but its the combination of the card and my motherboard I think. Also, I have tried different bios versions, the problem is still present from the original bios all the way through to 1.C0 (latest).

However, for the simple fact that I am totaly in love with my 5770, I have aranged a pick up and replacement from ebuyer on tuesday, so I will see if a new 5770 works, to confirm if it is just the card or the mixture of the card and my board. If the problem remains then I will just change to a gtx 480 or maybeeeee a gtx 470. I wouldn't dream of changing my gd70, is an out of this world board for overclocking! its solid as a rock! and I know for sure it work flawlessly with cards other than the 5770 thanks to my old 7600GT.

Anyhoo... if it does not work still then I'll be selling the XFX 5770 brand new for like £100 (its the nice one with the full cover and heatsink like the 5800's) so £100 will be a bargin for a lucky someone lol.
Timmy,

I don't assume you were trying to sell here. It's against the rules if you were and you would receive an infraction, but again I don't think you were trying to sell.

Make sure that you read our rules should you have enough posts (101) to view our classifieds section. We are very strict with our rules here.

g0dM@n
OCForums Moderator

----------------

Oh I thought your motherboard was the ASUS M4A78T-E... woops!!! So I guess other boards have that issue too. That's quite annoying!!!

You should try contacting MSI tech and see what they say... I'm curious to see their response.

haha! I can see why you would think i was tryin to sell here however i can asure you that is not the case as i would have left my details and i have contacted msi about a week ago and still had no reply.

I contacted Biostar about something last week and still no reply. Those overseas techs are very irresponsible and non-existent. If I don't hear back from Biostar on my question, I will NEVER buy their product again... I despise crappy customer support.

For example, Optimum Online's service to me has been really poor lately, but their customer support is TOP-NOTCH... probably one of the best I've dealt with. Because they CARE, I think highly of them.

You should follow-up with MSI and explain to them how you are disappointed with their customer service!!

Here is there reply to me after i had sent them a huge, VERY detailed message explaining all the problems ive had and everything i have tried in order to resolve the problem. I might add that in my email i had said:

"having been on many forums and reading that it could be so many different things, I have done everything that people have said works, for example; finding the right voltages for my ram.........(many other things)........., updating my bios to the latest version"

Dear Tim Charlesworth,

Thank you for contacting MSI Technical Support. Regarding your issue, please update latest bios from following link:
bios file
bios flash tool
If you have no floppy, you can make usb boot device for DOS using tool then you can flash bios referring to bios flash procedure.
usb boot tool
bios flash procedure
After bios flash, please unplug the power supply for a while then clear CMOS (refer to the manual). Then please go to bios to load optimized defaults.

Best regards,
MSI Technical Support Team

I have then replied to this and am waiting for a reply...

I would like to thank you for your reply and taking the time to help and give your advice however, it is clear that you did not read the entire message I sent you before, as I clearly said that I had updated my bios to the latest version (1.C0).
As a matter of fact I have even tried most of the older bios versoins as well.

I would just like to say that although i am greatfull for the time you have taken to read some of my last message, I am not that satisfied, as you could only sugest one possible solution, which I clearly stated I had already investigated.
I had heard some good things about your customer support... so far I am not convinced.

I look forward to hearing from you again and hope that this time you can offer some better support.

wacha think GOD-MAN? :s

Good job, Timmy.

I agree with you 100%, and to be honest... I AM NOT SURPRISED AT THEIR RESPONSE.

I'd honestly like to go to some of these companies and slap every one of their customer reps and wake them up... of course I'd end up in jail, but you see my frustration.

These reps BARELY EVER read everything to mention to them. What's sad but true is that if they were more efficient at reading, they'd actually be more efficient overall... they'd have less repeat questions and overall less customer support to have to deal with.

To me it sounds like they are beating around the bush. Many companies do this... they will keep feeding you information that won't get to your solution and eventually you will get tired of bothering them and will live with the problem.

I never give up. I have too much pride to let them win that battle. If I'm left dissatisfied, I destroy their reputation with posts/threads and reviews. I will show no remorse in doing such a thing.

Stay on their butts. Don't give up. It's not fair to have to deal with this problem of yours. It shouldn't all be on you!!

thanks! at least someone is supportive lol. I dont usually contact the companies because forums and the people on forums are 1000X more helpfull and like yourself for example you can tell that they care, unlike the reps.

Im guessin you are fairly interested in this? :s so I will keep you updated! thanks for the support! hopefully someone will get something done!

I have also just recieved a reply from ebuyer with regards to my 5770 that i have returned and thay have found no faults with it therefore it MUST be the fact that my motherboard does not work well with the card as the guy on another forum had stated.

they basically said that they could not find any problems and are returning it.

i must say i am VERY impressed with the speed they picked up the card (from my house) and tested it!

however i am still concerned so i sent them this:

This email is in regard to the recent return and replacement i had requested. I recieved an email stating that there were no faults with the product, when this is impossible for the simple fact that ever since i have removed the graphics card from my system, everything has been working like a dream.

I would like to know what system you tested the card on (all the components), as i can bet it will be nothing like mine, which invalidates your tests! Furthermore, i cant stress enough how i am certain that it is this product causing me problems. i have spent days testing my whole system and it is only when this graphics card is introduced that i begin having difficulties.

Up until now i have always been very pleased with ebuyers customer survice however i feel in this case i am clearly not being listened to.

I thuroughly respect the fact that you have found no fault with the card at your work place and have returned it, that is understandable, however i expect that if when i return the graphics card to my system i continue having problems then i will have further support from you in getting a replacement to see if it does resolve the problem or at the very least send me someone who knows what they are doing and can offer me help and advice as well as perform some VALID tests on my system.

I know this seams like a lot of bother to put you through and i apologize, however it does not seam as much when you consider that i have purchased ALL of my products for my computer including my speakers from ebuyer and having spent VERY nearly £900 at your store, i am an extremely loyal customer and i would be deeply hurt if my oppinions of ebuyer were to be damaged. therefore, as i have already said, i can only hope that if the problem persists then you will not abandon me and your responcibilities.

On a happier note, i am thuroughly greatfull that you took the time to pick up and test my product and am also very impressed with the speed at which it was all done.

Once again i look forward to hearing from you and what your thoughts are on my concerns.

I hope they will send me someone over to resolve the problem, in which case i shall be able to reveal a true way to rid people of this problem so that people do not have to scurry around as i have.

i would not mind very much however i dont have much money to spend on my system and therefore treasure it greatly and i think i can speak for thousands of people when i say that!

thanks! at least someone is supportive lol. I dont usually contact the companies because forums and the people on forums are 1000X more helpfull and like yourself for example you can tell that they care, unlike the reps.

Im guessin you are fairly interested in this? :s so I will keep you updated! thanks for the support! hopefully someone will get something done!

No problem. Anything I can help with will only intensify my knowledge. Anything I can't help with I'll know where and what methods I fail with, or I'll learn from someone else's suggestion. Anything we don't solve, I'll make sure I don't come back to... for example, I don't plan on ever buying a low-end Biostar motherboard again, or maybe any of their boards.

I sent a message like a week ago, and nothing... I can't tell you how offended I am when this happens. I never don't respond to someone in timely manner. A simple "we are still looking into this issue" would have helped.

Timmy, still have to read your last post... it seems like good news, but I'm in the middle of somethin... i'll be back...

my 5770 has been returned to me today and i am just about to install it, not only this, msi have sent me a beta bios that is not yet out. they claim that this bios beta will iliminate the problem, so if it does and anyone else has the hypertransport sync flood error with the 790fx-gd70 then just post here and i will send you a copy of the beta. and for anyone else, i would simply recomend getting in touch with your motherboard manufacturer as i have.

I say all that and i have not yet tested to see if this new bios has solved the problem.

I will post again in a few hours, prob late tonight to tell you if it has worked. :)

i have recieved a beta bios from msi (1.D4) and my graphics card has now been returned. msi claimed that the beta would fix the problem, however, after updating ym bios, re installing my 5770 and loading up a fresh coppy of windows 7 i am still having the same problem and i am getting really pissed off now because everything was running perfectly when i had the 7600gt in there and now i have the 5770 back we are back to square 1 again and ebuyer dont seem to care anymore :s

i have recieved a beta bios from msi (1.D4) and my graphics card has now been returned. msi claimed that the beta would fix the problem, however, after updating ym bios, re installing my 5770 and loading up a fresh coppy of windows 7 i am still having the same problem and i am getting really pissed off now because everything was running perfectly when i had the 7600gt in there and now i have the 5770 back we are back to square 1 again and ebuyer dont seem to care anymore :s

Hey man, I have the same problem you do but I think I found the answer. I actually have a very similar setup to you too:

AMD Phenom X4 3.2 GHZ
Saphire Radeon 5770
MSI mobo 790 (same as yours)

After trying lots of stuff it boils down to one of two things:

Your CPU NB Speed MUST BE HIGHER than your Hyper Transport Link Speed.

I clocked my CPU NB to 2200 MHZ and left my HTLink at 2000 MHZ.

Once that is done, MSI mobos also seem to have a problem properly regulating voltage to the CPU and CPU NB. I recommend:

1.) Change your CPU-NB clock speed multiplier up one step and ensure that it is higher than your HTLink clock speed
2. ) Raise the voltage by ONE step to your CPU-NB.
3.) if the error still occurs raise the voltage by one step to everything (ram/cpu/cpu-NB).

Like I said I had the same problem as you, and ever since I changed my CPU NB to exceed my HTLink as well as upped the voltage one notch to my CPU NB the problem seems to have gone away, so try that first before you raise the voltage anywhere else.

Will report back if I find anything else. However, I strongly believe that ultimately this boils down to a voltage issue, and MSI/AMD not properly regulating voltage to the CPU/CPU NB/or potentially to the RAM.

Benny

Great stuff, Benn!

I also had this issue- signed up here to help put more answers on the internet, as I spent days and days of nonstop tweaking and digging to get my pro audio Daw working right.

I kept getting the HTSE on my newly built computer.

mobo: msi 785GM-es1
cpu: phenom ii x4 955 BE
Ram: dual channel kit 4 G Crucial (667mhz)
video card: was a 128 meg ati card (I don't game, just record music)
power: 500 watts

Here's what worked for me:

1. I changed the NB clock speed to 2200 instead of 2000. I brought DOWN the HT clock to 1800. This alone didn't actually fix the problem, I would still get the error, but it was step 1

2. I upped the voltage to my RAM. I pushed the voltage up about 3 steps. This was probably the best thing to do (I was running it at 1.5 v). I think this is the main game changer for me.

3. change of graphics card. I switched out my ati for a geforce 8400 GS. of course, not a major gaming card, but fine for me as a producer/engineer.

These 3 were major trial and error to figure out (plus lots of google reading). For my system, this is what produced a very very stable platform.

Welcome to the forums, tonyshep7 and benn683!!

CPU-NB settings are very funny, I must agree. I've had much success with tweaking the CPU-NB frequency and voltage over any other setting. In my opinion, it's the most important, if you could say that.

All of the others you guys mentioned are also important, though. You need to find the best mix when overclocking. Even when not overclocking, and unlocking cores, CPU-NB still makes a major difference.

I'd like to update everyone. I received a few more hyper transport sync flood errors (HTSFE) and took some additional steps, seems to be stable now.

I think the combination of changes below have all attributed to system stability. On "failsafe" settings I received HTSFE 2-3 times daily. After upping the NB and reducing HTLink and upping the voltage across the board I went down to 1 error every week or so. Since I have disabled HPET, in combination with the other steps, I haven't received an error since.

Finally, I installed a new PSU bc I needed one anyway, not sure if that has anything to do with it. All steps taken as follows:

1. Reduced HTLink to 1800MHZ (from 2000MHZ)
2. Increased NorthBridge (NB) to 2200 MHZ (From 2000 MHZ)
3. Increased NB voltage by 2 ticks
4. Upped voltage to CPU from stock to 1.375 (Phenom X4)
5. Upped voltage to DRAM from stock (1.5) to 1.63
6. Disabled High Precision Event Timers (HPET) in bios
7. Disabled (and re-enabled) AMD Cool N quiet (don't think it has an effect)
8. New PSU (upgraded from 6 year old 500W to brand new 850W)

Note that I still received very infrequent HTSFEs with steps 1-5 (even though the reoccurence of them dropped considerably). Since I have combined 1-5, and disabled HPET, they seem to have stopped all together.

It was either that or upgrading my PSU, as I did both simultaneously. Not sure if the new PSU could have anything to do with it though.

Benny

If you're running XP the machine can't use HPET anyway. I've never had video issues and my main system is too old to use it. :shrug:

I would have probably disabled it to start with - I have a tendency to disable anything in BIOS I'm not likely to need ... ;)

If you're running XP the machine can't use HPET anyway. I've never had video issues and my main system is too old to use it. :shrug:

I would have probably disabled it to start with - I have a tendency to disable anything in BIOS I'm not likely to need ... ;)

I'm running Win7, but I kinda have no idea what HPET is even for. Haven't noticed anything different since I disabled it.

Back