• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hypertransport Sync Flood Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mpstr

hello all...
im new here...i know somebody has come out with this issue but i think HTSFE come from many factors...
i just wanna ask if somebody here could help me to solve my problem and at the same time take a look around whats the prob with my setting...i new about pc but i wanna learn....
Systembasic.jpg
cpuz.jpg

ok...i got this HTSFE prob sinc a week after i bought my rig 2 month ago...i browse to the internet and i think it might be bad PSU factor..(i used to have CM Extreme Power + 500w) but now i change to CM Real Power 750 W...after i change the PSU...the HTSFE prob gone for a while...about 1 month and a half until last week....sadly at first, my pc couldnt boot at all...when it come to the "starting windows" screen...it reboot...then, i try to browse the internet and try everything i could...

i follow the instruction from here:
http://www.amdzone.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=137699
a user "benn683", managed to solve with this idea:
1. Reduced HTLink to 1800MHZ (from 2000MHZ)
2. Increased NorthBridge (NB) to 2200 MHZ (From 2000 MHZ)
3. Increased NB voltage by 2 ticks
4. Upped voltage to CPU from stock to 1.375 (Phenom X4)
5. Upped voltage to DRAM from stock (1.5) to 1.63
6. Disabled High Precision Event Timers (HPET) in bios
7. Disabled (and re-enabled) AMD Cool N quiet (don't think it has an effect)
8. New PSU (upgraded from 6 year old 500W to brand new 850W)

mine:
1.done
2.done
3.how?
4.done but still thinking and need suggestion whats the stable voltage...
5.done
6.done
7.done
8.done

and i manage to solve HTSFE prob for 2 days only...now...sometime the HTSFE prob comes randomly...when i surf internet, songs...

last time only occur if i play games but never occured when i didnt playing games...hope someone can give me idea...and help somebody out there like me to solve this HTSFE prob...
thanx!

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

3. Increased NB voltage by 2 ticks
3.how?
There should be a setting in your BIOS for NB chipset voltage but with an MSI board I can't tell you exactly how it will be labeled. Can you list the voltage options you have in BIOS?

I wasn't talking about an overclocking program, I was talking about BIOS. In that shot it's labeled "NB Core" but I'd bet a good chunk of money that label isn't in your BIOS ... ;)

Your Hypertransport speed should be 2000mhz, not the 1600mhz you have it set at. Having the Hypertransport speed to low can cause the error you are getting. The Phenom 2 architechure uses Hypertransport differently than the old A64 where you could get away with dropping the HT speed when having a high overclock to increase stability, but that isnt the case with these chips. Put everything back to stock by going into the bios and reset to defaults. Then use the machine and see if you still end up getting the error. If so go back into the bios and adjust the NB voltage a bump and the cpu-nb a bump.

I wasn't talking about an overclocking program, I was talking about BIOS. In that shot it's labeled "NB Core" but I'd bet a good chunk of money that label isn't in your BIOS ... ;)

i dun used the AMD OD to OC actually...i just use it to gather infos...i thought it would be the same as BIOS...sorry im noob...so this is what I got directly from bios...i just jot down the infos...

CPU Voltage:
Auto : 1.315V
Min : 0.963V
Max : 2.008V

CPU-NB
Auto : 1.165V
Min : 1.161V
Max : 1.514V

DRAM
Min : 1.5V
Max : 2.42V

NB
Min : 1.103V
Max : 1.468V

SB
Min : 1.196V
Max : 1.593V

HT
Min : 1.214V
Max : 1.617V

the reading is in grey color so i dun manage to change them...but i found out i can change them in AMD OverDrive.

Your Hypertransport speed should be 2000mhz, not the 1600mhz you have it set at. Having the Hypertransport speed to low can cause the error you are getting. The Phenom 2 architechure uses Hypertransport differently than the old A64 where you could get away with dropping the HT speed when having a high overclock to increase stability, but that isnt the case with these chips. Put everything back to stock by going into the bios and reset to defaults. Then use the machine and see if you still end up getting the error. If so go back into the bios and adjust the NB voltage a bump and the cpu-nb a bump.

actually mine at the first HTSFE prob occur, my HT is at 2000 mhz and like i mention above, i cant even boot the pc...then i decrease the HT value to 1800 mhz and change PSU from CM Extreme Power + 500w to CM Real Power Power 750w and it works fine for about 1 and half month...as i found out i can only manage to get the max NB value to 2000mhz only, thats the reason i had to decrease the HT value which i heard that NB value should be higher or equal to HT value if im not mistaken...

Source

Last edited:
So to answer your question from #3 above: Increase the "NB" voltage from 1.1 to 1.15 (or 1.2 if you don't have 1.15).

owh...but in BIOS the voltage is grey so i cant even change the value...but i can increase the voltage in AMD OverDrive...is it just the same?i ask this because i've experiment a bit...if i increase voltage via AMD OverDrive, the voltage will go back to default voltage if I restart the pc...

anyway thanx QuiteIce!

Then I don't understand what this means??? You're showing "Max: 1.468"????

i dont understand either....im new about this...but i just jot down everything that shows in the Cell Menu in BIOS...
if i have cam i'll post the BIOS screenshot for u...

There may be a setting in the bios that has your voltage control set to auto and this will grey the area out or there may be another section separate from the voltage section for over volting and this may be where you adjust your voltage at. You may or may not be able to adjust the voltage in the bios and have it remain the same with AOD running since it sometimes adjusts the bios settings during boot up. Once you find the section in the bios and adjust this then go back in and see what the settings are if they have run back to the same settings that you have now you may have to remove AOD to get the bios settings to stay at what you set them at.

You gotta switch your voltage control to manual before you can change voltages in bios. Once you find this set the following voltages:

vcore = 1.35v

cpu-nb = 1.1v

NB = 1.15v

Set HT speed to 2000mhz, NB speed to 2000mhz

Set your memory voltage to what it is speced to on the actual stick for voltage.

Set the timings to 9-9-9-24-36 and keep the RAM on the 667mhz/3:10 divider, with the command rate at 2T with the RAM in unganged mode.

Disable C1E and CoolNQuiet.

This should be the auto voltages or slightly over them that should be applied to your chip. Your machine should boot without the sinkflood error. If these voltages do not work then take out one stick of RAM and see if that makes a difference.

There is a new bios update out for your mobo so you might want to update to it since it addresses some of MSi's APS (active plane switching) power functionality. If MSI's APS isnt adjusting the voltages right that can easily give you HTSF errors.

The msi bios's is a little different you have to push the "+" key to change the value. I had to figure that out recently.

sorry for the late reply guys....i couldnt turn on my pc as it keeps rebooting when it comes to "starting windows" screen for the past few hours and shows the HTSFE...

There may be a setting in the bios that has your voltage control set to auto and this will grey the area out or there may be another section separate from the voltage section for over volting and this may be where you adjust your voltage at. You may or may not be able to adjust the voltage in the bios and have it remain the same with AOD running since it sometimes adjusts the bios settings during boot up. Once you find the section in the bios and adjust this then go back in and see what the settings are if they have run back to the same settings that you have now you may have to remove AOD to get the bios settings to stay at what you set them at.

ok i will try to remove the AOD and go back to BIOS...thanx..

You gotta switch your voltage control to manual before you can change voltages in bios. Once you find this set the following voltages:

vcore = 1.35v

cpu-nb = 1.1v

NB = 1.15v

Set HT speed to 2000mhz, NB speed to 2000mhz

Set your memory voltage to what it is speced to on the actual stick for voltage.

Set the timings to 9-9-9-24-36 and keep the RAM on the 667mhz/3:10 divider, with the command rate at 2T with the RAM in unganged mode.

Disable C1E and CoolNQuiet.

This should be the auto voltages or slightly over them that should be applied to your chip. Your machine should boot without the sinkflood error. If these voltages do not work then take out one stick of RAM and see if that makes a difference.

There is a new bios update out for your mobo so you might want to update to it since it addresses some of MSi's APS (active plane switching) power functionality. If MSI's APS isnt adjusting the voltages right that can easily give you HTSF errors.

i have the latest BIOS update for my board...
anyway, this is the BIOS screenshot of mine:

edit-Copy.jpg

the value is set to [AUTO] and its greyed out...

The msi bios's is a little different you have to push the "+" key to change the value. I had to figure that out recently.

have try to change the voltage with -/+ keys but it looks like nothing happen...

According to the board's manual.

The manual for that board says that to get to submenus you should high-light the item and then press the Enter to key to 'access' the submenu for adjusting.

Auto is high-lighted but to get that voltage menu and get a manual voltage you must press the Enter key. At least that is the jist of what the manual says. Then the manual mentions the up and down arrows to adjust within a sub-menu and does not mention the + or - keys but you never know.

dude you dont have the latest bios for your board if you are running the same bios as when you took your cpu-z screen shots. CPU-Z shows you have bios 10.5 that came out in September, and there is a 10.6 that came out in November. I went to MSI's website to see if perhaps there was a bios fix for your problem since MSI cant make a decent bios to save their arse. MSI has this APS crap that they implement for power savings and guess what the 10.6 addresses APS issues. This is also why i mentioned to turn C1E and CnQ off.

If places in your bios are greyed out and you cannot press enter to get a list of selectable voltages, then there is another bios setting that you need to change to give you access. It is probably on the same bios page you showed just up at the top. Something along the lines of voltage control that is set at auto and when you hit enter you should have the choice of manual and you need to switch to that.

The manual for that board says that to get to submenus you should high-light the item and then press the Enter to key to 'access' the submenu for adjusting.

Auto is high-lighted but to get that voltage menu and get a manual voltage you must press the Enter key. At least that is the jist of what the manual says. Then the manual mentions the up and down arrows to adjust within a sub-menu and does not mention the + or - keys but you never know.

yes...ive tried it out but nothing change...i found out something but not really useful...when i set the "Auto Over-clock Technology"(if im not mistaken) from disabled to "max fsb" (if im not mistaken also) the voltage read is not that [AUTO] anymore...it shows the current voltage but sadly still, i cant even manage to change the value...

dude you dont have the latest bios for your board if you are running the same bios as when you took your cpu-z screen shots. CPU-Z shows you have bios 10.5 that came out in September, and there is a 10.6 that came out in November. I went to MSI's website to see if perhaps there was a bios fix for your problem since MSI cant make a decent bios to save their arse. MSI has this APS crap that they implement for power savings and guess what the 10.6 addresses APS issues. This is also why i mentioned to turn C1E and CnQ off.

If places in your bios are greyed out and you cannot press enter to get a list of selectable voltages, then there is another bios setting that you need to change to give you access. It is probably on the same bios page you showed just up at the top. Something along the lines of voltage control that is set at auto and when you hit enter you should have the choice of manual and you need to switch to that.

just update the BIOS yesterday and disable the C1E and CnQ...after 10 minutes pc boot, it restart again and HTSFE occur and reboot again and again...

Back