• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I absolutely have no idea how to overclock, but I would like to, how do I start?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thebuigarian

I pretty much got a computer from my friend and would like to overclock the CPU so it can maybe run some games faster. I have never done this and of course I am a little afraid of breaking this computer so I would love some help on how to do it. Here is a picture of my specs and AMD overdrive. I assume it's not really going to be easy, but I don't want to just mess around in AMD overdrive without any experience. I honestly am just doing this so I can run the new Star Wars Battlefront game better. I wish I could upgrade but I do not have the funds so I think overclocking might be a slight fix for this. Untitled.png

Welcome to OCF buigarian

The one thing I see is that your board isn't going to be the best but the 4core chip should be OK in it. One important missing piece is your cooling? What do you have, the stock HS/fan or an aftermarket cooler? The FX aren't all that hard to overclock but I would do it through the BIOS not AMD OD. Just raise the core multiplier and test until it crashes or gets too hot. There's a good link in my signature about overclocking an FX. Have a read through it and show us some pics of HWMonitor with P95 running so we can see the temps you're getting at stock. Then we'll go from there.

Welcome to OCF buigarian

The one thing I see is that your board isn't going to be the best but the 4core chip should be OK in it. One important missing piece is your cooling? What do you have, the stock HS/fan or an aftermarket cooler? The FX aren't all that hard to overclock but I would do it through the BIOS not AMD OD. Just raise the core multiplier and test until it crashes or gets too hot. There's a good link in my signature about overclocking an FX. Have a read through it and show us some pics of HWMonitor with P95 running so we can see the temps you're getting at stock. Then we'll go from there.

Im not 100% sure but here is a picture of it. Why is it better to do it through the BIOS instead of AMD OD? I read through your guide and even watched the video but I'm just lost haha, I honestly have never messed with that and it all seems very new to me. FullSizeRender.jpg

That looks like a cooler master hyper tx3. I've got one in my media pc.

Im not 100% sure but here is a picture of it. Why is it better to do it through the BIOS instead of AMD OD? I read through your guide and even watched the video but I'm just lost haha, I honestly have never messed with that and it all seems very new to me.View attachment 171006

Everyone here that's oc'ed had to start somewhere sometime. I was a n00bie too. It's better to overclock via bios as it's more detailed and you have more control over what setting is used. Using a windows software based ocing tool is frowned upon and is not accurate. It will add wayy more voltage needed for the same clockspeed which will result in higher temps.

I use primarily bios, but as I am stress testing for initial stability I bump my multiplier in AOD. When I bsod its lock in the multiplier I got up to, and bump the voltage heat permitting of course. Ultimately, bios OCing gives you the best stability.

Welcome to OCF buigarian

Here is the P96 + HW Monitor
Also thank you everyone for replying and clarifying! It helps a lot but I still know I got a ton to learn.
Untitled1.png

Let prime run 20 minutes and post a screen shot of Hwmonitor then. It will give us a better idea of your temps.

You're going to need to run p95 a little longer, dude. There's an iteration around the 20min mark that'll really heat your system up. You're also gonna want to turn off all the green features, at least for stability testing a finding a suitable oc. Disable cool 'n quiet, apm, c1e, c6, and svm. Then manually set your CPU voltage to 1.392, your CPU multiplier to 19, and take a screenshot of hwmoniter after 20 minutes. That should give you a good baseline, and the oc god's can further assist you from there.

Back