• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am getting the upgrade bug and need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimmyB

Current system:

GigaByte Z68X-UD3H-B3
i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz Running stable @ 4.0GHz
16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D34GX
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti x 2 SLI
OCZ-AGILITY3 (120GB, SATA600, SSD)
WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (1TB, SATA300, 3.5")
Seagate ST31000528AS (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm)
OCZ 750W Fatality

I put this system together on a budget and love tinkering/over clocking/testing and play older games like UT3, Half Life series, but want to try the latest Call of Duty.

Would I get higher performance from my SSD, Memory and Video Cards and CPU
if I were to upgrade to a new Z77 board?
What about along with that a new i7 CPU?
Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks in advance guys!

I'd sell off the 550Tis and grab a single higher end card. Lower end cards like the 550Ti tend not to scale as well in SLI configurations.

For the purposes you stated, you really don't need to upgrade, but if I had to pick something in your system to spend $100 on, I too would go with a GPU update. You can still probably get ~$150 for the 550TIs, so that plus $100 would put you in the 7950/660 TI range.

One last question....
Is there a place in particular I should try and sell computer equipment because I have lots of older used parts other than the GPU's

Stick around here. We have a classifieds section that is second to none. 100 meaningful posts required, along with a valid ISP email address. It's worth it. One of the very few places I really trust the sellers.

Back