• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I aquired an Alienware Area 51 M15X-R1 laptop, need a bit of help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azuza001

Hey guys. I managed to get my hands on this great little beast of a machine the other day. I must say that this is the first time I've ever had an Alienware machine and it's definatly a flashy little machine, even if it is a bit quirky.

The machine I have has a Nvidia Geforce 9800GT, 4 gigs of ram, a Core 2 Duo running at 2.4, and a 320gig HD. I have done a fresh install of Win 7 and managed to get everything up and running well.

Here is my issue/concern. First, the only graphic drivers I've been able to get to run properly on the machine are the ones from Alienwares website. When I'ved downloaded new ones direct from Nvidia they either have caused a blue screen on startup or for the system to default to an unknown graphics driver and put me at 800X600. Has anyone else had these problems with this machine? I'm in the process of working my way back through the Nvidia driver releases looking for a release that works that came out after the Alienware ones (190 release for alienware).

Another thing. When I use the original graphics drivers and run 3dmark 06 I get a score of ~8600. I understand that 3dmark isn't a true test of the systems abilities but I have 2 other machines with the same graphics card (Clevo w/ 8800GTX and an Asus w/ 260GTX) and I know that the card can reach a much higher score. As the Alienware has the slowest Processor of the 3 I'm guessing that that's what's holding it back. After doing a fresh coat of Artict Silver 5 and a full "burn" test to max out the processors temp it only gets to about 65c with 2 copies of Prime 95 running full on so I know I've got some thermal room to overclock the processor. Unfortunatly I can't seem to find a program to run on this thing to let me overclock it! Ntune didn't work (blue screened the moment I clicked the performance tab to overclock) and I've never had good luck with clockgen. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to overclock this guy some? It's mostly going to be used as a desktop and I plan on getting a cooling pad to help with the heat issue as well.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help you can offer.

Manufacturer drivers are usually optimised for best performance. As for overclocking, use SetFSB. I am not sure what PLL you would use, but I'll try to find out.

I'm starting to wonder if the reason regular Nvidia drivers won't work is linked to the Alienwares ability to switch between the Nvidia card and the Intel Integrated Video. The last 4 versions of the drivers I've tried from Nvidias site has caused the same blue screen, it looks to be a dx driver issue of some sort. Oh well, the drivers I have on it work so I guess I shouldn't mess with it right? lol.

Thanks on the other question, I really would like to get a bit more extra performance from this thing.

I can fix it!

I have two laptops. Nvidia drivers are always like that, you can't just download them from nvidia website.......Please read on.

Please don't overclock, heat sucks badly in a laptop. Might burn it up.

Laptop gpus are based on different mobile architectures and the drivers don't work and are distributed by the computer's maker only. A high-end mobile gpu is only as good as at best a midrange desktop gpu. Overheating is a big concern from OEMs and even mobile gpus of the same model are clocked differently to deal with the heat of the many differnt notebook cases. OEMs rarley update their video drivers, and with old drivers few games run well. That said I don't give a crap and never had a problem with doing what's below.

Please follow this app's directions. If you run 64 bit windows 7 or vista get this awesome little app to allow unsigned drivers, not just for gpus...

Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider :thup:

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Latest

Then download some hacked drivers from laptopvideo2go

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ :cool:

Have fun.:bday:

Last edited:
When I tried the latest drivers from that site I got the same error message as when I used the stock Nvidia ones.

When starting up I get a BSOD with an error about dxgkrnl.dll causing the crash. Like I said, I think I'm just gonna stick with what works. Thanks for your help though guys.

(On a side note, the only way I got the ones from Alienwares site to install on Win 7 was to install it in Vista Compatibility Mode.)

Back