• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Feel Like an Idiot :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PWatterson

Okay. I have the two 7800GTs in SLI and I thought I was going to be getting a big widescreen monitor within a few months from when I bought them (Christmas time). Anyway, that did not work out, so here I am with these two very powerful cards on a 17'' CRT. Should I try and sell them both and get a (1) 7900GT for almost the same price? I figure that when I get a new monitor in the summer, prices will have dropped and I could possibly pick up another one. Also, I could take advantage of the eVGA step-up program, but would I have to have orignally bought it from eVGA (I got them from the egg)?

Definitely step those up if you are within the 90 day window. You can do this if you order an EVGA card from retailer's such as Newegg. If you paid $294 per card then go to EVGA's website and step up each one to a standard 7900 GT. You will be placed far down the queue, but eventually you will receive 2 new 7900 gt for your trade in plus the $12 total cost difference plus shipping. You don't send your cards in until they have a replacement card for you, but there will be a 1 to 2 week period when you are without a card. This way, even if you decide to sell it will be better for you as the 7900 gts will obviously sell for more than a 7800 gt.

Another consideration for you might be the following: get in the queue immediately for 1 of your 2 cards, then wait until the last few days of your 90 day step up window before submitting the other. This way, it might work out that your 2 cards are processed far enough apart that you will never be without a card.

In summation, definitely step up, or at the very least get in the queue.

CRAP! I just figured out the 90 day step-up window ended a few days ago. (I ordered Dec. 3 :bang head ). What should I do now? Sell the things on Ebay or in the classifieds? Or am I being too hasty and should I stick stick with what I have? But man, four more pipes and a few hundred mhz is a great deal for 12 bucks!

I would hold on to them. That set-up will last you for a long time and will play new games at max setting without any problem. But if you are set on having the newest greatest stuff. I would sell them, then purchase the two new cards.

Why would you replace 2 7800GT's in SLI for 1 7900GTX. He can't step up anymore which means he's not gonna get all his money back for his 7900's so if he were to sell his 2 7900's and get a 7900GTX, he wouldn't really be saving any money and he'd be losing performance.

roYal said:
Why would you replace 2 7800GT's in SLI for 1 7900GTX. He can't step up anymore which means he's not gonna get all his money back for his 7900's so if he were to sell his 2 7900's and get a 7900GTX, he wouldn't really be saving any money and he'd be losing performance.

why not ? 1 card same performance ... less power consumption, plus he gets to have the best nvidia offering for nothing out of pocket. or he can step up to 7900's if he sells his 7800's privately and cost him about $100 and 2x7900gt will be faster than one 7900gtx in some things

since you have a 17inch monitor i say you either:

1. keep them and wait to sell them later this yr when u upgrade to dx10
2. sell one and put the money ASIDE for either a widescreen LCD or a dx10 card

there is absolutly NO need to have a 7900gtx on a 17 inch monitor unless u feel that a benchmark makes you a bigger man....

and seeing how money is obviosly tight it makes no sense to sell what you have just to invest in something you DONT need....

thats just my 2 cents though...

Are you sure you can use the step up program if you bought off newegg? i didnt see them under evgas vendor list so i gave up :(

Thanks for the input so far guys and please keep it coming.

The only reason I got the idea for the 7900GTs was the fact that they cost like 15 bucks more and I thought I could still step-up.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you think I could get for them? With a 17" monitor, it almost seems pointless to have the SLI. I figure when I do pick up that nice widescreen LCD, I could buy another card, but by then won't the DX10 generation of cards be out?

I hate the rapid advancement of video cards. :mad:

dx10 card will come out at the end of the yr sometime when vista comes out...

so if ur eligable to step up and its only gonna cost $15 i would say sell one card outright and put the money in your LCD or DX10 fund and then step up w/ the second card....

w/ that you'll have more than enough power for ur current monitor and your well on your way to getting widescreen or DX10.....

Back