• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I found a way to track fake people/internet scammers on Yahoo Messenger!! WOOT!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea, but you aren't the police.

No im not nor do I want someone to screw me over. Nor did I ever say anything close to that.
So should only the police know the truth?

You should not say "yea" and then "But"
That is a justification of a action. Yea I hit her but she was mouthing off to me so it makes it ok.

TommyHolly
You could come up with a I.P. in a different area I think by using something like gotomypc.com being able to use a remote computer.

Im sure it can be done other ways.
How bout having some sort of file hosting like on a website and routing your traffic threw there.

TommyHolly said:
By the way, nobody answered my other question a few posts up... Can a normal user not using a proxy have a IP address assigned to somewhere else in the country? For instance, will my IP address here in Chicago ever show up as California for any reason if I am just a normal user?

I'd say no.
the IP is where you are.

-To the best of my limited networking knowledge.

(I'm not even sure how to use a proxy or what that really is...)

a proxy server is a system to which you can connect through which in turn then masks your IP with IP of the proxy server you are using, there are many free proxy severs out there if one looks, or you can buy services which do this for you, you sign up and pay a fee to use a companies proxy servers so you can surf "anonymously" however in the end, even anonymous proxies, arent as anonymous as some may like to think, there are always logs somewhere.

Your IP you are assigned will be from an ISP in your area.

By the way, nobody answered my other question a few posts up... Can a normal user not using a proxy have a IP address assigned to somewhere else in the country? For instance, will my IP address here in Chicago ever show up as California for any reason if I am just a normal user?

Yes, absolutely.

My work IP shows that I am in a different state far far away because we use own a block of IP addresses, and your report shows where the IP address is registered to. In my case, that is the "home office".

Yes, absolutely.

My work IP shows that I am in a different state far far away because we use own a block of IP addresses, and your report shows where the IP address is registered to. In my case, that is the "home office".

Oh OK... But for the normal user, as in someone that has a PC at thier house using a typical ISP like Comcast or WOW or Cox or Insight... Would they have an IP that shows up far, far away? (the normal user would not own thier own IP addresses.)

A person with a fake yahoo id: [email protected] is disturbing me like nything with silly and humiliating messages. After struggling for a long time i just know the fake location and sex(female), he entered at yahoo.

Please help me in finding that *******, guide me how to track him down.

WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!
I am so happy right now. This was my first successfull track. I feel like I hacked into a scammer's PC even though no hacking was involved but I totally fooled this person and busted them today!! WOW, I am so excited this worked. :bday:

OK here is the story. I am on those online dating sites sometimes. By the way, I'm writing a book about it some of my successes and problems I've run into. One of the most common things your run into on the dating sites are internet scammers that lie. They use all sorts of tricks...stealing photos from model's websites, copy and pasting blogs, using Google street view to name things at the place they say they are from... :mad:

Anyway, I looked up a trace program to find info on people you are chatting with. It works like this. You set up a free account with the trace website chatrack.frihost.net The website gives you a link to copy and paste into chat. The link is a picture of a flower or a car. Once the person on the other end clicks on that link, you have ALL thier info!!! Cool huh?

Here is the internet scammer's info:

Track no : 1 Time of Tracking: 28 Oct 2008, 11.27 pm (server time)
Remote Location Information
Tracked IP: 116.xx.xxx.xxx
Near City: MAKATI
Latitude:14.xxxx
Longitude: 121.xxxx
Link Type used: FLOWER
Remote System Information
Tracked Browser / OS : Firefox 3 on Windows
Remote Computer time: 12 : 35 AM

EDITED for privacy content - WarriorII

lol if i caught a guy like that id see where its from then google racial slurs abd start talking about how i find that race so unattractive. :) it would be probably a few minutes beforere he figures out i know

A person with a fake yahoo id: [email protected] is disturbing me like nything with silly and humiliating messages. After struggling for a long time i just know the fake location and sex(female), he entered at yahoo.

Please help me in finding that *******, guide me how to track him down.

block he email and move on, you wont find jack.

One way to rout out fake profiles. Is to use tineye. The reasoning behind using tineye. If they found it searching, it might also. The technique is called reverse image search. I think google has a similar service also. (I myself like the tineye service.)

Since this is Tommy's thread. I used his avatar. Which produced an exceptional amount of hits. ( I can also see who is using the same av as me for example...) Now if it was a person. It should produce where the image is hosted and lead to it's usage.
http://www.tineye.com/search/d1a8d92418667b5cf7da825c88cc619f3877557d/

Just one way to find a fake profile.

Last edited:
One way to rout out fake profiles. Is to use tineye. The reasoning behind using tineye. If they found it searching, it might also. The technique is called reverse image search. I think google has a similar service also. (I myself like the tineye service.)

Since this is Tommy's thread. I used his avatar. Which produced an exceptional amount of hits. ( I can also see who is using the same av as me for example...) Now if it was a person. It should produce where the image is hosted and lead to it's usage.
http://www.tineye.com/search/d1a8d92418667b5cf7da825c88cc619f3877557d/

Just one way to find a fake profile.

reading this thread makes me wish i had gone to school for security instead of computer networking lol

I know that my ip addy in newkirk shows somewhere different all the time so do cellphones I'm not sure about mine in ark city but newkirk is a.little hick town

reading this thread makes me wish i had gone to school for security instead of computer networking lol

I wouldn't call it security per se. I would call it creative utilization of resources. Knowledge is a resource for any field.

The major thing I learned in school (for ComSci.) Was to be able to research and teach myself. Furthering expanding my knowledge.

Reading trade magazines (part of their purpose) and (more timely information) web sites. Would be a good thing to check out on the subject if your interested. If you run across a subject you do not understand. Put on the learning cap and research.
Security and networking go hand in hand. :attn:

lol if i caught a guy like that id see where its from then google racial slurs abd start talking about how i find that race so unattractive. :) it would be probably a few minutes beforere he figures out i know

Market,
I would think the same thing but usually they are unaffected since they rarely speak English in the first place. They are typically some Nigerian sitting in an internet cafe having 10 simultaneous conversations...

Girls don't have to worry as much about Nigerian scammers or Philipino mail-order brides... (I assume you are a girl from your pic or that could be your GF?) You do have to worry that the guy's picture is older, or that they lying about thier stats. Usually a few smart questions will bust thier disguise if you interigate them properly.

I don't understand why you would be speaking with someone who isn't local to begin with. I would think you'd want to find someone local, not say anywhere in the US. But maybe that's just me. I've been out of the game a while.

Also what would they have to gain by speaking with you from Nigeria? I would hope one would not give out personal information. But again, I know some people who would give their bank account info in 20 seconds to a total stranger.

Thirdly, having their IP address gives you a general idea of where that account is. So unless you can subpoena the ISP to get me personal info, it tells you nothing about me other than the general location I am at.

I don't understand why you would be speaking with someone who isn't local to begin with. I would think you'd want to find someone local, not say anywhere in the US. But maybe that's just me. I've been out of the game a while.

Also what would they have to gain by speaking with you from Nigeria? I would hope one would not give out personal information. But again, I know some people who would give their bank account info in 20 seconds to a total stranger.

Thirdly, having their IP address gives you a general idea of where that account is. So unless you can subpoena the ISP to get me personal info, it tells you nothing about me other than the general location I am at.

I regularly travel around the world and I've got to meet quite a few hotties on dating sites ahead of arriving there. (As I write this I'm in Afghanistan and will be in Qatar next week, then North Carolina, then Chicago...)

The Nigerians/Russians/Philipino scammers are mainly after your bank account or at least for you to pay for some pay site they set up to nickle and dime you. If they can't get that, they want your pictures so they can use them to scam others with.

The IP Address isn't used to track them and bring them to justice, (I wish I could). It's mainly used to verify that the info they copied and plaugerized makes sense. For instance, you'll meet a girl who passes the usual tests by speaking English and knowing pop culture (Philipinos are good at that) but when you see her profile says Nebraska and her IP is pinging Nairobi, you can rest assured it's definitely a scammer.

help!!

hi
i really need help!!
a guy made a fake yahoo account and is blackmailing me and tryin to extort me!
i need to find out how to track his account or find out who he is!
can you help me???? plzzzzzz

Couple things

1) Holy wall of text. Doesn't seem like bot spam though.
2) thread necro first post. Great.
4) people in the military aren't any better than people not in the military. People don't suddenly gain a moral compass from putting a uniform on. They get more responsibility and accountability, which hopefully pressures them to grow up... which isn't always the case. A liar and a cheater In a uniform is simply a liar and cheater in a uniform.

3) rather lame story from a fellow sailor who's priority seems to be "banging hotties" and representing the navy in rather tasteless fashion. Good work shipmate. :rain:

Thank goodness somebody figured out something, I'm seriously sick of these dating sites and these scammers, and seriously shocked of all of you out here that don't know anything about that, I just went through one of the most horrifying experiences I've ever been through on a dating site, sadly its caused me to question everybody out there, A few months ago I met a gentleman he claimed to be in the military, both men and women do this, And honestly you can't tell who's on the other end of that computer, We have talked every night for months, Because he seem special, And I never thought a military person would lie to me, He said all the things I wanted to hear, And I fell for him quickly, I had to learn the hard way and get my heart broken at the same time, But I've learned a lot since then, When I confronted him with everything that I knew he threaten my life and told me I was going to die for this, I was in shock and I still am, There's a place on the internet That you can go to and it's called pigbustersscammers.com It will show you photos of people all across the country that are different scammers, Shows you photos in alias names they use and all you have to do is type in an email address if you can get it from them which I had, This guy sent me numerous photos of what he looks like of him with his children told me his wife had died during birth, Then proceeded to go on about how he had lost his wallet needed help getting cash and did I have a bank account, After talking to a few friends they all warned me in the beginning if they mention money a bank account cell phones, The military takes care of their people they shouldn't have to ask or want you for nothing except yourself, My dad was military I know better, I was so heartbroken as he kept pressuring me about the bank account finally wanted me to pick up some cell phones for him at Walmart, Red flags if they have you do that they usually will have you pick them up seperately if so they're usually bought with stolen credit cards from other people, They will also tell you they don't want your money they want you to open an account its for transferring hacked funds, because your name is con the account you look like the hacker, and that just made you an accessory to a crime, I now work as bait purposely to catch these people, And the main reason is is the gentleman the pictures that he sent me was a soldier that died in 2007 and my heart went out to him and if its the last thing I do all make his name right, Those men fought and died for our country and i can't sit back and watch their names or their families suffer, , If anyone has any questions I'll be more than happy to answer I know quite a few places you can go to and put in a name and email a screen name of phone number and they can tell whether they are real, i always screen my dates now, i have become my own private eye and i hate it ...again thank you for the tracking info :)

Why would you necro a post from 2 years ago?

Back