• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got a whammy of a problem!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

logitecs

Ok, here we go!

Im using a q8300 quad core on a Asus P5q-e motherboard with 4 gigs of DDR-2 corsair XMS2 ram running at 5-5-18. My video card is the ATI 4870 1 gig GDDR5 video card. Im using a 550 watt powersuppy from corsair (the VX 550W)
I have tried OC'ing this POS chip for a bit then I gave up. I cant get it to run past its stock 2.33 ghz I want to get this chip to 3.2+ ghz I have a Over powered air fan note the idle temp is between 19c-24c It never gets over 30c when I'm running WoW or Farcry 2.

I have tried multiple times to install Vista 64 bit on this rig and it wont work! It also has a tendancy to give me BSODS out the arse! it also likes to randomly reset itself. I will be playing a game or doing something. out of the blue, my screen will go blank then it will reset its self. This ONLY happens when i have a program running in full screen. even if its my internet browser or a simple game of cards.

I have tried installing windows 7 as well. same thing as vista, It will crash during the install a bunch of times then it will stay up long enough to install. it goes to reboot itself (windows says its going to reboot in X seconds) it does that, then it wont fire up. all I get is some missing or corrupt file. /system32/windows/windowstart.exe or something like that. I cant remember what it says exactly. anyways...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS HUNK OF JUNK!??!?!?! p.s. this is the first system I built

love,

from an AMD fan. ^ this is why I like AMD over intel. never had this many problems with AMD

P.s. here are some pics of CPU-Z and the like incase it helps

tus-Element

SPD.jpg

mainboard.jpg

memorty.jpg

tus-Element

I also have A program called AI suite and within that. I have AI booster and under the Advanced tab I have CPU<memory< PCI-E

under the CPU tab I have CPU frequency which goes from 200-800 and CPU ratio which has 6.0 or 7.0

Under memory I have DRAM voltage which has Auto and 1.800 to 3.06 It goes up by .02 intervals. I also have Dram Frequency auto 667MHz -1333MHz

I have found that more times than not, OS's have problems installing from two main reasons.

1. Memory
2. HD

Have you tested your ram with memtest86?

Is the drive you trying to install on a new clean drive?

Yep Blue screens out your posterior in 64bit land is a RAM V thing I find.
Have yet to accuse a drive of dampening my fun though.
Low level format occationally if youve done something impressive to it.
Check that ram out properly... and all may come good.

Check your RAM voltage and set it in the BIOS. I could not get my 1200 to run at 1200 without BSOD on boot until I checked the Volts. It was set to AUTO (1.8V) when the DDR 1200 specs say 2.2 Volts. I changed (2.2) and it booted just fine. :beer:

Isnt it the case you can only install windows with only 2 gig of ram installed? Thats what happened to me when i tried to install vista 64... take 2 gig out then try to install...

You may only be getting 2 GIG of ram to work more or less if your Ram V isnt right...
If the board Bios has some clue about the ram your using and you make sure the voltage is right things improve on the getting an OS running side of things.
In Bios AUTO quite often equals Wrong.
maybe a few more form factors and they may get a system that works #Chuckles#
until then I recommend setting everythinng yourself.

If his RAM voltage wasnt correct none of the RAM would work correctly... after some googling you cant install windows with more than 2 gig of RAM installed...

#Chuckles#
Best google some more :)
Im getting wafts from the oven... dont want a pie fight #Laughs#

Vista 64bit supports up to 128GIG max.

could be his drives anyhow
#Chuckles#

(gonna catch me one of these magic install pixies that sneak peoples ram in and out the machines between installs)
not more than 24hours back I could of caught one when I installed Vista64 with 4GIG of Corsair XMS2DHX 4-4-4-12
maybe next time.

Yes i am aware of how much RAM vista 64 recognises...

Well i was just saying what happened to me... couldnt install vista 64 with 4 gig installed, kept on getting blue screens... removed 2 gig and everything installed fine...

I did do some more googling and some people do encounter problems when installing windows with 4 gig, they removed 2 gig and it installed fine... lulz #chuckles#

theres a lot of factors with Bios CPU features and 32/64 bit mode operation... but I havnt done enough boards with newer form factors to give the full picture.
just need to get familiar and know whats to be expected.
My last board just curled up and got the blues everytime the Lan got busy... no cure it was a rubbish LAN.

Some OS dont do over 3GIG.

Yeh 32 bit ones can vary between 2.5gig (i was unlucky) and 3.75gig...

the only reason i mentioned the removing of 2gig is because it is something very simple to test, and if it turns out to be the problem... not much time would have been wasted.

But yes it could also be drive issues or even mobo issues... my old mobo gave up when i tried to install vista 64 on my 680i... it gave blue screens during installation... (this was when i was down to 2 gig) thot it was hard drives.... tested them and they were fine.... stupid 680i...

But to install vista 64 using my abit x38 quad gt, i had to only have 2 gig of RAM installed... strange but the problem does exist...

Back