• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got TWO SL6Z3's! Which to try? HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arklab

I ordered a 2.4G P4 from two vendors (ZZF & FuturePowerPC) in hopes of getting a SL6Z3 M0.
(I got two mobo's also, but thats another thread.)

Wouldn't you know it ... BOTH are SL6Z3's!
They are , however, different FPO/BATCH numbers

The first is a Week 35 (pack date 11/21/03) while the second is a Week 38 (pack date 11/20/03).
(Yea, I know ... the earlier chip has a later pack date - go figure)

So if you have ETHER a week 35 or week 38, WHAT LUCK HAVE YOU HAD?

Right now both are still sealed, and I hope to only open one of 'em.

Please help me out here.
Thanks

From what I've heard the FP/Batch numbers won't matter too much. As long as they are both SL6Z3 they should overclock about the same.
I'll let someone with actual experience speak though.

I don't know which one would overclock better.... I haven't been following the week/pack date trends. You could always try overclocking both of them, keep the better overclocker for yourself, and sell the slower one in the Classifieds or on eBay. You would probably lose some money when you sold the slower one, but you would know you got the best overclocker.

There isn't enough data on those dates to know...Flip a coin, do a voodoo ceremony, contact a fortune teller...and good luck:)

Wich to try wich to try. Ok I have a better question. If the one you open turns out to be a bad oc, what are the chances you will open the other one anyway to try instead :p

Having said that, does it really matter ;)

The search continues! ;)

Thanks to all so far ... esp. Intel75.

His post has me leaning to the Week 38 (pack date 11/20/03), and away from the ZZF's Week 35 (pack date 11/21/03).

I am WELL aware that all this is PURE cristal ball stuff.

It's a lot of FUN , too.

There used to be a theory that a chip cut from the center of the disk OC'ed better - less optical distortion than those coming from the edges.
Others subscribe to batch numbers blessed bt Druids (but only during the dark of the moon)! :eek:

Still, while there is NEVER any guarantees in OCing, sometimes trends do emerge.
Like Northwoods clearly (as a general rule) DON'T like a lot of extra volts. (I had a 1.8 myself that did 3G on stock air and volts. More Vcore never helped one bit.)

Of course, if the one I open first DOES OC OK, I'm sure someone would MUCH rather buy a known SL6Z3 thats STILL SEALED!

So please keep the comments coming!

PS: If anyone would RATHER buy a open-box CPU from a known OC'er, PLEASE PM me!
Boy, am I going to have a deal for YOU!

Just send the money first. :p

arklab,

Don't forget though, even if the week 35 is a mediocre overclocker, the week 38 could even be worse. I don't think I've seen anyone with week 38 yet.

If it does turn out that the later weeks are worse, could it be that Intel is binning the M0s to get a higher yield of 2.8s at the expense of the 2.4s? I don't know why they would have to, as all M0s seem to be making 2.8 no problem. But what other reason could there be?

If you do try the week 35, make sure you let me know what your results are. If you get a poor overclock with it, then I think it is fairly safe to say that this batch isn't too good. Maybe I'll just RMA it and get a 2.8 then.

Finally, I just want to reiterate that my observations aren't scientific. One of the people with week 35s had inadequate cooling, and the other could have been held back by their memory. Week 35 could be fine. You won't know unless you try.

I have this feeling that the first reports of OC on M0 were better than the recent ones. Obviously it is not a direct proven relation to manufacturing weeks.. From that I would open first the lower week number...

I bet you are now totally confused :confused:

Confused?

Nah ... just "multi-directionally technically reorientated" :rolleyes:

Bye the way, the best guess I've seen on what these are (and why they are) is they are actually "binned" EE's.

HardOC forum seems to have had a guy that attempted to remove his IHS (the tin cap), and to his suprise discovered two things.

1) The dimensions on the covered die are LARGER than an ordinary Northwoods, but exactly match the published pictures of EE cores!

2) Intel has modified the heat transansfer compound between the top of the die and the bottom of the IHS.

It's now epoxy, and he RIPPED the top of his die off. (He had pictures)
OUCH!

:bang head

Last edited:
week 35...

I have a costa rica week 35 sl6z3, 11/21/03 pack date.

It's running 280 FSb, 3.36 on air and 1.575 Vcore. Prime95 stable, but of course.

Screen04.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, 138.

Nice OC.

It may be time for all to take a step back and remember we are getting a real gift here.
While we may all hope for 3.6 and more, that is just icing on the cake, after all.

But I want the icing!

I want it!

I want it! I WANT IT! IWANT IT!!!

Oh, sorry about that. I just lost it for a minute. :-/

It looks like you really want the best overclock you can get. If I was you i would test them both and then sell the one you dont want on ebay.

If not and you only try one and you get a "not so great" overclock then you will have wished you tryed the other one aswell!!! :)

Back