• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I hate Windows 10, BUT, DX12 and I have room for a dual boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

I have a 4 TB storage drive that gets documents, pictures, video, DVR storage, etc., regardless of OS. I have a Samsung 850 EVO 500 (465 GB actual) GB SSD with Windows 7 and an Adata 120 GB SSD with Windows 10. Would it make sense to partition my Samsung and store my games there (I like fast load times) for Windows 10 to use from the Adata 120 GB SSD, and keep my 24/7 OS on the other partition? Other than DX 12, are there any other gaming advantages to Windows 10? This is assuming a clean reinstall of both OS and the Windows 9.5 version of Windows 10 (Because I hate Windows 10) I could probably store all my current games on the Adata but I expect my game storage to go up (at 100 GB now) so rather than deal with that down the road I'd prefer to set up for future needs now. I have 175 GB free on the Samsung now, and all my current games are on it. 100 GB should be more than enough for the 24/7 OS and programs, leaving me 365 GB for games for W 10.

It's past time for me to fix the boot bork Windows 10 laid on my Windows 7 install and I'd like to get things set up for my optimum and not have to screw with software for a while after that. This s*** was fun when I got my first Dell with XP, but I'm old now and I just want it to flippin' work.

Confused...

You still want a dual boot or are you just diving in? If you are just diving in, I'd use the fastest drive, I'm guessing the 850 evo, partition it and use that alone.

I have W10 Pro and W7 Pro. I need W7 for some things and prefer it. I also have the two SSDs mentioned. The Samsung is the better drive, and has the most space of my two SSDs. My thoughts were use the lesser drive (Adata) for Windows 10 and the storage for games on the Samsung because it has more room. I'm wondering if there are any gaming advantages to Windows 10 besides DX 12? I have a broken wire in my head that causes me to not even consider W10 for 24/7 and relegate my W7 to purely HTPC duty. I'll probably go in and update my W10 on the Adata just to have it there, but it really tries to screw up my W7 install at every turn.

I'd say give in, and sell your soul to M$... In fairness when I am on 7 I desperately miss the win+x key combo :/

Or go Linux + wine. Can't go wrong with Linux... I use it everyday, just not for games that the developers think it's ok not to release a Linux version :(

Linux? Yeah, no. I just don't want to put that much work in to making my rig function. I love 7 and like nothing about 10, unless there is some gaming advantage (besides DX 12). The Adata isn't big enough to store games, so I have a 120 GB SSD with an OS I don't like taking up space in my tower. I hate wasting things so I'm trying to find a good use for it. They're $85 on newegg right now (!) so maybe I'll just sell it for $50. I put W10 on it and ignored it. It's barely used. LOL

Crystal Disk can't even see it to verify health. That's odd. And it's giving me a Caution on my storage drive. Geez. It never gets easy, does it?

Last edited:
Work to make function! Ha! Most systems work out the box on Ubuntu. Want to install something that exists in the repository, such as steam? Easy peasy:

Terminal>"sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install steam -y"> press enter>type admin password>wait for it to finish, launch steam.

Windows can't touch how easy and fast terminal commands are :)

That being said, ubuntu (and any other distro I have tried) on my laptop does require a minor tweak. Took about 40 seconds to fix the issue after I figured out the Linux driver was doing some funny things to my wifi, and poof, it worked.

Lets revisit being able to see this drive in Windows. I know youve done all the diskpart stuff so its time to move on to Linux (just to wipe the drive). The smallest distro that for certain has the tools you need is Lubuntu (the "L" is not a typo). Linux sees ever so many things that Windows does not. I am very confident that you will be able to see your drive there.

Once you get your Live disk/USB made, come back in and Ill walk you through the rest.

As for your question in the OP.... I take the 120gb (assuming that the read/write speeds are "close enough") and use that as the boot drive. Move User files (documents, pictures, all that jazz that is under C:\User\Username) to the other SSD, and install the games to that drive also. If you move the user files to the same location in both OS, you (in theory) should be able to access all those file no matter what OS you boot into. That leaves the 4Tb for mass storage and backup. My .02 :shrug: Good luck

Yeah, I can see the storage drive from either OS. That issue is fixed, although Crystal Disk telling me that drive is failing means I'll be buying another big HDD. First time WD let me down, but it's a biggie.I'm keeping W7, and keeping it on the Samsung EVO. I'm just wondering if there is any good reason (besides DX 12) to keep W10 on the 120 GB SSD. If there are any gaming advantages to W10 besides the DX thing I'll consider keeping it around for that. Otherwise I'll sell the Adata or toss it in a box.

If you move the user files to the same location in both OS, you (in theory) should be able to access all those file no matter what OS you boot into.

I don't want W10 having access to my W7 install at all. That's why I was thinking a separate partition for the games. Just not looking to deal with Linux until at least EOL for W7.

Work to make function! Ha! Most systems work out the box on Ubuntu. Want to install something that exists in the repository, such as steam? Easy peasy:

Terminal>"sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install steam -y"> press enter>type admin password>wait for it to finish, launch steam.

Windows can't touch how easy and fast terminal commands are :).
lol, than clicking.. good one. :p

Command line is for advanced users. This isn't 1990 and DOS where everyone was used to command line. 99.999% of people can't install linux with command line requirements. The other .001 wouldn't have a clue how to maneuver once inside.

Yeah, I can see the storage drive from either OS. That issue is fixed, although Crystal Disk telling me that drive is failing means I'll be buying another big HDD. First time WD let me down, but it's a biggie.I'm keeping W7, and keeping it on the Samsung EVO. I'm just wondering if there is any good reason (besides DX 12) to keep W10 on the 120 GB SSD. If there are any gaming advantages to W10 besides the DX thing I'll consider keeping it around for that. Otherwise I'll sell the Adata or toss it in a box.

I don't want W10 having access to my W7 install at all. That's why I was thinking a separate partition for the games. Just not looking to deal with Linux until at least EOL for W7.

I guess I heard someone say the "L" word and forgot all about the OP. So in answer to your question... I dont know because Win10 is .... not for me :) I will say this though: DX12 certainly seems to be taking a while for widespread adoption. For instance DX10 in roughly 2006 to DX11 was 5 years (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX). I dont know when DX11 was finally widespread enough for DX10 to dissapear, but we can guess 6-7 years. Now we have DX12 begin in July 2015, and have come nearly 2 years later with little to no fanfare. Gaming isnt my thing, but it seems like DX12 is moving significantly slower than previous versions. I guess all Im really trying to say here is that unless there is a game you want to play tomorrow that uses DX12, it would appear you have time to weigh your options.

This isn't 1990 and DOS where everyone was used to command line.
QFT If only Linux had a point and click solution for those who arent CLI savvy :D

Why not VM Win7 inside Win10 ?
I think this is likely one of the best real world solutions. Its a shame that M$ doesnt offer a Win7 Mode akin to the XP mode feature in Win7.

Why not VM Win7 inside Win10 ?

I was considering tolerating W10's existence on my property if there were some gaming advantage to be had. If I could get DX 12 in W7 I'd throw my W10 DVD in the microwave and watch the light show. :D

Command line is for advanced users. This isn't 1990 and DOS where everyone was used to command line. 99.999% of people can't install linux with command line requirements. The other .001 wouldn't have a clue how to maneuver once inside.

It's not that I think I'm incapable of command line antics, and it seems the direction I'm headed eventually, but right now I just want my OS to work with minimal fuss. I'm looking at a clean install of W7 in the near future and figured I'd see if there were any reason to leave the W10 install in my rig. That answer looks like "no". I can update W10 every couple months on the small SSD and just keep it in a drawer the rest of the time. Since it's locked to my motherboard it's useless to anyone else. Or I can sell the 120 GB drive since they're priced at twice what I paid for it on newegg.

Since Linux has already come up in this thread, I feel comfortable adding a couple comments: using the terminal is not just the 'legacy' way of getting things done in Linux, it's pleasing to interact with your system directly, and it's fast.

That said, the majority of Linux distributions have a graphical installer, where a user can just click-thru the process, much like Windows.

Of course, with Microsoft dominating the desktop world, game developers cater to the Windows software sphere.

So, if a significant portion of a computer user's activities are absorbed in gaming, the Linux OS presents as a steeper-than -necessary hurtle, to accomplish said gaming usage.

Last edited:
With my two finger typing, command line is definitely not "fast", or any iteration of fast, zippy, quick, or efficient. LOL. There's also the the fact that the Windows environment, now matter how badly M$ tries to screw it up, is what I'm used to and making it work is relatively easy for me. Most issues aren't thought about, I simply deal with them because I already know what I'm doing. After over 10 years of Windows, Windows is easy. Going through the learning process all over again when I have an OS that does what I want the way I want it doesn't appeal to me. Maybe I'll use my soon-to-be spare SSD to play with a distro and this all may change, but for now I'm just trying to decide if I can happily banish the computer cancer that is Windows 10 from my rig entirely, or can that binary tumor still be of some use to me. If it offers any tangible benefit for one of my activities (gaming) I'll keep it in the tower for those moments. I'm perfectly content to use W7 for everything else.

Back