• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i have an urge to upgrade my PC, what do you think i should get first?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most important purchases for upgrade.

Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse and speakers.

these will not change no matter how often you flip your CPUs and GPUs. And since this is your primary means on interacting with a PC, is more important than CPU choice IMHO.

(So far my 1920x1200 monitor has lasted 4 years, and thats a LOT of hardware flips maybe a dozen CPUs and a half dozen mobos? :) )

So true, I remember when I kept going on a really old monitor and crappy speakers and keyboard because I never would set aside cash for it. I always used to put everything into what goes into the tower.

I think your best choice depends on what games you play, and what res your monitor is?

If you are currently not getting setting high enough in BF3 or something like that, than another gtx 460 is the best option.

However, if you are happy with your current gaming performance, i'd also say go SSD, and in a year from now buy a second hand gtx 460 for cheap, or sell the one you have and upgrade to a faster single card.

OCZ Synapse SSD

and

can he even think about SLI on a AMD setup?

Only if hes on an old nForce motherboard OR a 990 chipset. I asked him atleast twice what motherboard he has without and answer. That out of the way it is possible without an SLI supported motherboard you just have to use one of the 2 methods of circumventing nVidia's protections(SLI Patch + hacked driver, or Hyper-SLI which is uses secure virtualisation to trick windows).

Im basically on the thinking of what mondena is saying. If hes happy with GPU now and wants to WC later his best bet is SSD now then WC, then a newer GPU next year maybe.

Regardless of which options you pick to do now just make sure you have fun.

Back