• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have Build my Gaming PC but how to test it and monitor temperatures?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joed386

Registered
Hi, I have just built my gaming PC and just wondering how to check everything is working right and what are the best programs for monitoring as well.

I have been using CPUID for monitoring my temperatures is this a good software or would you recommend something else.

YNueizc.png

Do these temperatures look ok?

I also tried some free benchmarking software, I used Heaven.

vXhw4m1.png

How are thses results form the benchmark? Thanks for your help.

You should have no need to monitor temps or do stress testing on a CPU that is not overclocked and the stock OEM CPU cooler should be sufficient unless perhaps you live in a very hot climate without air conditioning.

Same for GPU if it is not overclocked and case ventilation is good. Tell us about your case and it's fans. Make and model of case. How many intake and how many exhaust fans?

If you want to test the stability of the CPU and the temps it reaches under stress, use Prime95 with the "blend" setting for the torture test. Use CPUID HWMonitor which is what your are already using. Run the P95 blend test for 1 hr with HWMonitor open on the desktop during the stress test. Check HWMonitor "max" column for highest CPU temp reached during the stress test.

If you want to put the GPU under stress and check temps then have HWMonitor open on desktop. Then run the Heaven benchmark. After Heaven benchmark is done, check HWMonitor for max GPU temp. Note: Heaven does a good job in stressing he GPU but uses the CPU very little.

Well said trents...

As far as your temps, it looks like you are showing idle temps only, which are not really relevant. Start up hwmonitor, then run p95 blend for an hour. After that THEN show hwmonitor so it has your maximum temps. Still should be fine, but idle temps are not telling much at all.

Last edited:
Your temperature looks fine, the Intel CPU can safety run up to 90c.
That would age the caps next to the CPU very quickly. (Most caps used in quality electronics are rated to 105C, but just try looking up a datasheet of how quickly they'll fail when operated at 90C!) The standard I target is 70C or less at worst case load during a typical summer. That should be easily achieved in a usual desktop. Mobile and other compact hardware are a different matter, but mobile hardware at least tends to be designed for higher temperature.

If the temps are going too high, first try forcing all fans to full speed as a test to rule out bad fan control settings. Then try removing the side panel and directing a desk fan into the case to see if case ventilation is an issue.

90c is fine during stress testing. The processor is rated to above that for the life of its warranty (and more).

That would age the caps next to the CPU very quickly. (Most caps used in quality electronics are rated to 105C, but just try looking up a datasheet of how quickly they'll fail when operated at 90C!) The standard I target is 70C or less at worst case load during a typical summer. That should be easily achieved in a usual desktop. Mobile and other compact hardware are a different matter, but mobile hardware at least tends to be designed for higher temperature.

If the temps are going too high, first try forcing all fans to full speed as a test to rule out bad fan control settings. Then try removing the side panel and directing a desk fan into the case to see if case ventilation is an issue.

Were not talking about caps here, it is about High temp silicon. Intels TJmax is 100c for i5 6400. TCC activation temperature (throttling) is TJmax. link http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...esktop-s-processor-lines-datasheet-vol-1.html

TCC,TJmax.JPG

If you're getting up to the max under load at typical ambient temperature, you won't have any margin for the really hot days. The Dell servers I tested at a previous job would have the CPU cores around 70C at max load with an intake temperature of 30C (86F). That is roughly 20C of margin if 90C is taken to be the absolute max, which aligns quite well with the servers being speced for operation at up to 45C (113F) intake.

Back