• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have decided to go Dothan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very good point Gautam. booting at 200fsb or 201fsb (necessary for ati gfx cards) is essential for a good overclock. I believe these are the chips we all want to look at. The 533fsb dothans. Here are the multipliers.

730= 12 multi = 1.6
740= 13 multi = 1.73
750= 14 multi = 1.86
760= 15 multi = 2.0

I would suggest starting with a 730 or a 740 if you are booting on air or water. I'm gonna try the 750, since there are very few people using this chip and the information would be useful to everyone. It would be nice to know if these could boot 200fsb at 1.6v. If that doesn't work, I will of course try the 730, since it seems very easy to boot at 200fsb.

What you don't want are the chips with 400fsb. Here's why.

725= 16 multi =1.6
735= 17 multi =1.7
745= 18 multi =1.8
755= 20 multi =2.0
765= 21 multi =2.1

As you can see the 400fsb counterparts have really high multipliers, which will make it extremely difficult to boot at 200fsb.

datura3 said:
As you can see the 400fsb counterparts have really high multipliers, which will make it extremely difficult to boot at 200fsb.

We figured that :) Also, the 400FSB models are older steppings (B1 vs C0) and probably won't clock as well.

Nope.

Well my mobo came today, all thats left now is the adapter. Thinking about all the stuff I gotta do to get this rig running is making me not want to lol.

CPU- need to add a shim
Adapter- need to pin mod for vcore, need to tear off power connector, solder a molex on, tear off the jumper pins and hard wire them
Mobo-vdimm mod, BIOS flash (hotflash??? bother a friend for a P4???)

uggghhh

JCLW said:
The BIOSes do not currently allow multipler adjustment at startup then?
the only board that has working multi change in bios is the p4p800-vm. It has no fsb changes in bios but there is clockgen.

Gautam said:
CPU- need to add a shim
Adapter- need to pin mod for vcore, need to tear off power connector, solder a molex on, tear off the jumper pins and hard wire them
Mobo-vdimm mod, BIOS flash (hotflash??? bother a friend for a P4???)

You're gonna be cool...just relax and enjoy :cool:

jw but why not the "how to's and fixes" thread?

*edit*
this thread should be stickied for the info... if not we need to set it up differently to be stickied.. why should the P-M be left out of the game.

Evilsizer said:
this thread should be stickied for the info... if not we need to set it up differently to be stickied.. why should the P-M be left out of the game.

Hehe thanks :beer:

Maybe a mod can change the thread title in something like 'Guide to Dothan', to make it more universal and fitted for a sticky.

its all good... i will be getting the rest of my stuff by the end of the week... looks like rig #2 will be down for a while... heheh

CT-479 @ atacom $56
P4P800-se @newegg refurb $56
P-M 730 1.6ghz 533fsb @ebaY $155

just need to save up to be able to get DDR400 mem @ cas2 :rolleyes:

Evilsizer, how much stuff you got so far? When i think i'll have some new hardware its normaly later than what i might say in the first place. Good luck when it all arives. :)

Jimbob7 said:
Evilsizer, how much stuff you got so far? When i think i'll have some new hardware its normaly later than what i might say in the first place. Good luck when it all arives. :)
well im prolly going to use the adata stuff i have in rig one for a short time... but there is a snag with the cpu off of ebay. I got a BIN for 155 the guy dropped it off past friday and UPS still says
"UPS has received shipper's billing information electronically. Billing information received does not indicate shipment pickup or drop-off. Please contact the shipper for more details." :rolleyes: so i dont know if UPS lost the pakage or if he ever dropped it off. I cant complain to much he upgrade the shipping to 2nd air for free.

i have:
ct-479
p4p800-se (here friday)
P-M 730 (who knows)

*edit*
the cas2 mem im looking at is $215 for 512x2 for the dothan... they like tight timings

Last edited:
I just received all of my stuff yesterday. I need to do some mods to my p4c800-e and build the retension mechanism. Also has anyone tried to take off the shim on the stock CT-479 adapter and simply use that? It was made to work with the dothan- it seems so simple and logical I can't understand why someone hasn't done it yet. Is there a good reason not to? I already have 0.8mm aluminum stock ready to be cut to make the shim. It should only take about 10 minutes to make.

what shim on the ct-479.... they used foam on the bottom... if you mean where the clips go check the link (first post)with macci using a different (maybe custom HS)with the fan from the asus adapter..

Back