• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have no idea what is going on here. Thermals and voltage and stuff.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grendel0501

Even if I don't overclock, I still spend the first couple of weeks after putting a new pc together monitoring thermals and running afew stress tests.

My new setup is
9700k w/ Noctua nh14
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus pro
16g ddr4 3200mhz
a small hamster on a wheel that doubles for a PSU

Like I said I run temp programs for the first couple of weeks and do a random 10-30minute stress test with prime95 to check how well I seated the heatsink and if it needs to be redone.

After my first couple of benches I was pretty impressed, not going above 55-60c after 20 minutes or so, but today I let it run for 30mins and when I came back I found max temps had hit 82-83 on two of the cores, most stayed around 77-79. The weird thing is these high temps were only hit in spurts and then would go away. For the most part of the test staying around 58-60c.
It seemed to be in conjunction with the wattage on the chip going form 100 wattsduring most of the 20 minutes, then bouncing up to 160 watts.

I watched alittle bit on Gamers Nexus about the chips going far above their spec'ed wattage, but didn't fully understand the explaination of it.

So, what's with these bursts of heat that coincide with the raised wattage? Why does the cpu occasionally pull alot more wattage adding a extra 15-20c to the already 100% cpu temps?

*puts on smart glasses to try and understand explaination*

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Opps, I didn't mean to put this in the motherboard section. :chair:

Normal for p95 bud. After about 20 mins or so the tests it runs really stress the cpu. :)

Though the cpu spikes power isnt really the issue here. Just the application doing its job.

Consider creating a signature with your hardware listed. ;)

If it gets that hot at 20 minutes, I wonder how it does with a 2 or 4 hour stress test.

The increased temps may be from the cooler getting heat soaked. Perhaps check case air flow and maybe put an additional fan on the Cpu cooler.

If it gets that hot at 20 minutes, I wonder how it does with a 2 or 4 hour stress test.

The increased temps may be from the cooler getting heat soaked. Perhaps check case air flow and maybe put an additional fan on the Cpu cooler.
An air cooler gets saturated pretty quickly (and wouldn't suddenly spike when saturated). That isn't the deal here. This is normal P95 activity. :)

Oh I hadn't thought of it that way. He mentioned re-seating the cooler, so I had thought to help with cooling instead :D

p95 has avx instructions that make a huge amount of heat, this might be what you are seeing.
look in your bios and see if you have an avx offset, try setting that to 2 which will reduce the clock and heat when avx is encountered.

Normal for p95 bud. After about 20 mins or so the tests it runs really stress the cpu. :)

Though the cpu spikes power isnt really the issue here. Just the application doing its job.

Consider creating a signature with your hardware listed. ;)
I fixed my signature! :tinfoil:

Back