• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just got a new setup.. pls advise guys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
About the audio dying, it's because your overclock is affecting your south bridge (which controls your integrated sound). To fix the problem, you can use some thermal adhesive and stick a heatsink on the southbridge and your sound should work better.

About the heat, it's better not to expect the processor to turn itself off if it gets too hot..... by the time it does that, your temps are way to high already. Have you tried downloading Motherboard Monitor 5? It displays the temps in your toolbar so you don't have to open Corecenter to see your temps.

So you have the 3.5 BIOS, you might try doing a search at the MSI forums for that BIOS and see if anyone had an improvement from flashing.

About the audio dying, it's because your overclock is affecting your south bridge (which controls your integrated sound). To fix the problem, you can use some thermal adhesive and stick a heatsink on the southbridge and your sound should work better.

So are you saying it's the heat?? hmm.. i got aircon on all thet time and i leave my side cover open.. *scratchez*

A friend suggested that it might be my PSU.. i only have a cheap azz 300W PSU..

Yeah i have mother board monitor.. dont like it.. it's messy app IMO.. i do use speedfan. although i havent quite figured out its workings yet..

thanks

It was for me.... when I would touch the SB it was hot to the touch. Just having good case airflow isn't enough b/c I was having the problem and I have very good airflow if I say so myself :end immodest comment: :D

You might want to give some though to saving your pennies and doing a search for a good PSU. I'd recommend saving your money and buying a good one though, rather than settling for a medium PSU. OCZ if you can afford it, or Fortron. Look for at least 24A on the +12V rail if you're planning on heavily overclocking your cpu.

I used speedfan for a while, but I didn't like it..... too messy of an app ;) j/k

BTW, have you run sandra benches yet? Could you post a screenshot of the mem bandwidth, cpu and multimedia scores? www.photobucket.com will do free picture hosting if you need it.

It was for me.... when I would touch the SB it was hot to the touch. Just having good case airflow isn't enough b/c I was having the problem and I have very good airflow if I say so myself :end immodest comment:

:D

You might want to give some though to saving your pennies and doing a search for a good PSU. I'd recommend saving your money and buying a good one though, rather than settling for a medium PSU. OCZ if you can afford it, or Fortron. Look for at least 24A on the +12V rail if you're planning on heavily overclocking your cpu.

ok.. we got a 400w ANTEC PSU around here for $55 bucks... we also have a cheap *** looking PUS for only $15 bucks!! i know there's a big difference with the price!!! so, if they're both outputting 400w as speficied, why should i go for the more expensive one?

I used speedfan for a while, but I didn't like it..... too messy of an app
hihihi

BTW, have you run sandra benches yet? Could you post a screenshot of the mem bandwidth, cpu and multimedia scores? www.photobucket.com will do free picture hosting if you need it.

i dont install sandra anymore.. i use everest.. last time i installed latest sisoft sandra , it caused BSODs on me pc.. scared to put it back..

anyway here are ma memory benchmarks with Everest:

http://teaconcepts.net/temp/oc/B_read.jpg[/img]]READ

http://teaconcepts.net/temp/oc/B_write.jpg[/img]]WRITE

CPUZ
cpuz.jpg

It also might have been caused by the DOT

MTB , when DOT kicks in does it also overclock the agp/pci bus ??( I don't have it on my board so I don't know)

ok.. we got a 400w ANTEC PSU around here for $55 bucks... we also have a cheap *** looking PUS for only $15 bucks!! i know there's a big difference with the price!!! so, if they're both outputting 400w as speficied, why should i go for the more expensive one?

Its not about " WATTS" It is about amps . PSU units produce differnt power levels at differnet temps . The lower the tem the more wattage it can produce .

The cheap PSU manufacters may list the specs for their unit at say 50F but at 70F the unit might only produce 1/2 the power
( these temps are just for informational purposes only)

What Antec are you considering? I have the 430W True Blue and while it is only marginal for my use ( the 12 volt rails is a little weak for overclocking) it has served me well

Dave
Dave

Last edited:
yes it does i believe. that's why i switched to manual OC.. i pumped up my FSB and locked mg AGP/PCI to 66/33

however, even like this i "sometimes" loose my audio.. and weird thing is, when i try to test my sound using winamp (when this happens), when i place PLAY, the playhead doesnt play.. it's like winamp doesnt want to play.. i do have latest drivers..sol. i dunno..

anyway i notice the sound dieing when I do HEAVY stuffs on my PC like in some complicated scenes in gaming...

Then I bet it is your powersupply

there are quite a few posts here in these boards where a presscott has smoke a board when used with an undersized PSU

Good Luck and keep us posted
Dave

There was a thread in the cooling section a while back on cooling the south bridge... it was back when I was having sound issues with my mobo, and so I figured why not and adding a HS seemed to fix the problem for me. For most people, the sound doesn't disappear, it crackles.... I think that's what mine had... it's been a while though, I can't remember what the sound was doing exactly.

I don't know about the DOT, Dcasole. I never used it on my board, I would assume that it would lock the agp/pci for warrantly purposes (if they didn't there would be a lot of dead components laying around).... but you never know. I went straight to manual overclocking b/c I didn't trust the DOT overclocking.

Dcasole's got an Antec 430 in his sig, so I would ask him if the 400W Antec would be enough, he's better with the Prescott power stuff. I have the True Control 550W, and it's worked well for me...... for the price, it's a good PSU. Not the best, but it will do what you need it to and do it well IMO.

hey all.

i removed my OC and played and stuff.. kept it like so for a while didnt experience any sound errors anymore. also, i do notice when i have my oc set, when logging into windows, you know that famouse xp welcome sound?? well, when my OC is set, it has a skip.. very short skip but noticeable.. but if i dont have my OC, the xp welcome sound plays continuously w/ no skips..

Another thing is, i've been getting this weird problem with installing HDs on my PC..like today i got a new 80GB to replace my old 40GB that's full of bad sectors. didnt even know it till today..

anyway, when i plug that new HD in, my PC comes on, but shuts off after about 1 second. it doesnt even get to the memory tests screen where one can enter the bios.. the lights just comes on, and then off.. and when it's off, if i turn the PC on, it wont come on.. i have to remove the power cable from sockets (killing all power) for a second.. put it back in and it turns on... but off again after just under 1 second.

but if i remove my new HD and put the old HD in, it seems to be fine.. pretty weird huh? here's a weirder part, when i put my new HD back in it went off like usual.. but when i turn it on it prompted me that my dram timings were too tight.. huh?! i had them like that since i found my PC's sweet spot.

anyway, im keeping my PC on default (no OC) for now.. until i here word from ya'll..

for info, my old HD was a SAMSUNG 40GB .. my new one is a MAXTOR 80GB.

tea

Is your ram voltage (vdimm) the same that it was before? Usually the "too tight" message is fairly right on about having memory timings that are too tight or if there isn't enough voltage to support those timings.

About your HDD.... I would download Memtest and use it to test your memory at your overclocked speeds. What may have happened is that your memory was overclocked too far (not enough vdimm, timings too tight) and it has been slowly corrupting your HDD. Memtest goes on a floppy (make a bootable floppy and stick it in there)..... and you have to make your floppy drive 1st on boot priority to get it to load. Just overclock normally and run Memtest for maybe 1/2 hour and see if there are any errors.... if there are you need to lower your memory speed or change the timings or voltage.

Are you running both HDD's off of the same power line? With an overclock Prescott, your power supply may not be supplying enough power to handle another HDD. That may or may not be the correct diagnosis, but it's what came to mind first since your computer wasn't booting. Did you check to make sure that the HDD jumpers were in the right spot and that your cables were all in correctly?

Anyway, I'll let you try that stuff and then post back

Ok first up:
Is your ram voltage (vdimm) the same that it was before? Usually the "too tight" message is fairly right on about having memory timings that are too tight or if there isn't enough voltage to support those timings.

well maybe for sure it's my timings. i just added a 512MB to my existing dual channel 2x 256MB RAM modules. and, as expected, they wont overclock well all together..

but i have experienced this HDD - pc wont stay on problem even before the upgrade.

About the MemTest, well, i've not tried that but i have ran memory tests, like rightmark , on my OC (before the upgrade) and they all seem to be ok.

Are you running both HDD's off of the same power line? With an overclock Prescott, your power supply may not be supplying enough power to handle another HDD. That may or may not be the correct diagnosis, but it's what came to mind first since your computer wasn't booting. Did you check to make sure that the HDD jumpers were in the right spot and that your cables were all in correctly?
well, funny thing is, when that issue happens, I dont even need to attach the IDE cables to my HDD.. just attaching the power cable causes the shutdown.

Hmm.. maybe it's my PSU.. gosh.. now i need to upgrade my PSU.. man im gona go soo hungry this christmas season

Hmm.. maybe it's my PSU.. gosh.. now i need to upgrade my PSU.. man im gona go soo hungry this christmas season

I made the same mistake when I first built my computer.... I got a cheap PSU (it was a piece of crap, but the company got me to spend 40 bucks on it :rolleyes: ) and as soon as I got into overclocking it crapped out on me. I bought an Antec 550W and the difference was night and day. For Prescotts, it's normally recommended to have a PSU that outputs about 20-24A on the +12V rail especially if you're planning on overclocking it.

The best names for PSUs are: Fortron, PC Power and Cooling (probably a lot more money that you'd want to spend), Antec (they're all right, not the best but they work well), OCZ Powerstream (these are your best bet for your money).

I love the Powerstream series, but the problem is I don't know how much it would be in the Phillipines or if it would even be available(sorry if I misspelled it, Americans aren't very good with geography or grammar ;) ).

Look at spending about 80 to 100 bucks (American) on a good PSU that will last...... it's painful initially, but it's cheaper than going through 3 piece of crap PSUs.

Is there anyone you know who you could borrow a PSU from just to test the theory?

yeah.. it's tough being ni this country.. these people selling computers around here only sell the "fast moving" products.. for special/performance products/brands they sell via order basis which costs a lot of money.. so yeah when i say "fast moving" i mean them cheap ones.. you wont find a corsair brands or other really good ones around here that easy.. not even in the big stores. maybe it's partly coz of the mentality around here.. "cheaper is better"... i personally am the opposite of this.. when i buy something, i always save a little more money and go for the good ones.. too bad my choices are limited to the best of the "average"..

Americans aren't very good with geography or grammar
ahh.. im actually Filipino-American. so that explains my being bad in spelling.. atleast i am half bad.. :D

Is there anyone you know who you could borrow a PSU from just to test the theory?
hey! didnt think of this.. hehe. yeah, ima try first. got lots i can borrow from.

thanks

Back