• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Know Its Old But...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigDan3131

I was planning on buying a refurb IBM Thinkpad T40, other than getting more RAM and maybe a larger HDD can I replace the 1.5Mhz Pentium M with something faster or is it fast enough? I plan to game with it on a game that isn't a resource hog nor graphics intense.

Why not go the cheap to free route. IMB's do well with Linux. See if that game is easy to fire off under Wine.

If the game is supported under Linux. You would be surprised how snappy the machine would be for a simple install.
With the CPU, age of the device and having 512 of RAM. You should have a nice experience for free.

I know... Linux push. Though if it works for you on a few tasks. Why not?

If you only have a bit of RAM installed.. Then consider That.
An external drive is much cheaper and simpler for storage.

Hi BigDan,

You can upgrade the T40, the best way to find out would be to go to IBM's web site (Levno may have the info now) and enter your T40 and the model number in the support section questionair. You will have to do search for the current processor, on the table it will show all the models and the processor in each one.

I upgraded my T30 from a 1.8 GHz to a 2.1 GHz a couple of years ago, works great.

While you are there grab the pdf for disassmebly/reassembly. Becareful cracking the case (opening it) or you will breake the thinner places. I used two platic putty knives (cheaper than the tool IBM sales) to open the case, the plastic won't gouge the plastic.

Good luck with the upgrade if you go through with it. If you want the full details and pitfalls contact me through the forums.

Last edited:
Back