• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I lived and Learned

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edge386

When I first got my 2.8c D1 I thought, "wow, I have a decent processor now that I can actually overclock, this is great" So I get all excited and start bumping it up 1mhz at a time and next thing i know im up to 241 fsb. Sounds good to me, but I wanted 250 fsb. Everything I ran on my computer gave me no errors or lockups, so then I decide to try the Prime 95 Torture test. Come to find out, my rig isnt stable at all. I got so hyped up in going for the gold that I didnt bother to REALLY test it out. I have given up on my excitement and am going to go day by day. 1 mhz at a time because I want a COMPLETELY stable rig at 250 fsb. No longer will I flood the forums with my useless screenshots and excited gabbing. I truly appreciate the help everyone has given me and I hope to be posting one day "Hit 250 FSB!!! Completely Stable!!!"
For all you New OCers out there like me, learn from my mistake, dont get excited and just jump right into it, you wont know what you're doing. Anywho, I'm going to be doing tons more reading about RAM timings and the 2.8 D1's. Thanks again everyone for the help. May you all overclock in good health.

-Edge386

Keep in mind that Prime95 is just one definition of stable, although it is the best IMHO. I wouldn't consider an overclock stable without a P95 torture test.

Interestingly enough, the family computer (with cheap Kreton PC-2100) fails P95's large torture test where the RAM is used intensively. However, the system has never crashed once for everyday work and happily folds away most of the time. (The rounding error is at the 19th or 20th digit, IIRC.)

However, P95 does kick ***.

i hope this isnt a sign of everyone learning everything possible about computers in hear and deciding to go in a different direction???? we must keep these forums alive i tell u...alive!!!

Sophisticated said:
i hope this isnt a sign of everyone learning everything possible about computers in hear and deciding to go in a different direction???? we must keep these forums alive i tell u...alive!!!

I agree, don't stop posting.:D

Prime isn't the end all of stress tests. I've seen it crash stock oem machines that otherwise had no hardware problems. I've also seen it run fine while other benchmarks would crash the system. The key is to run a suite of tests. Hopefully they'll all point to the same conclusion, but usually you have to toss some out.

How can you not OC your computer? For a second there I was thinking "Am I done with OCing right after I just started?" Then I laughed at myself. I was simply stating in my post its much better to learn as much as possible first without jumping right into it. I still want to squeeze the last bit of juice from my computer, but Im going to try so with more knowledge.

edit: I just remember my temps were way too high reaching as much as 68c load. I need to recheck my thermal paste application and make sure there isnt too much on and that the HSF is on correctly (Im using the Zalman 7000cnps pure copper HSF) just another after thought.

Last edited:
my 2.4c is at a constant 25% o/c

my old celeron 566 @ 850 was at a constant 50% oc (and still is)

very practical performance, and i'm not even pushing it.

Well, the main reason Im Ocing my rig is because my girlfriend and I are making movies. We need to run Adobe After Effects Pro, and Adobe Premiere Pro. I dont want the slightest lockup. Oh, I also want a cpu speed that isnt on the market yet :D

Edge,
Like you, I've lived and learned and I'm here to learn more. I first built and successfully oc'd a XP 2500+ Barton. Then decided to build a really fast computer. Goal was 3.0 @ 3.75 on 250 MHz @ 1:1. I came close, 245, but found it wasn't prime stable. It was at 240 but didn't stay there. After two months , it slowly degraded to 210 prime stable. It runs other benchmarks @ 225 but not prime 95. Disappointing. So I decided to try again using Asus P4C800-E Deluxe and 2.8C. Going for the 250 MHz FSB again. This time I can't get the SL6WJ over 233 prime stable. So I came here to learn more. Now I know on the first build I should have worked up slower kept vcore closer to 1.6 instead of trying 1.725 and been happy with what FSB I attained stability. Had I come here earlier I probably would have learned that I could have special ordered an SL6WK or SL6Z5 and oc'd the second build to my goal. Had I really known what I was getting into, I could have saved a lot of money, which is what overclocking is really about, more bang for the buck. But, had I come to Overclockers Forums before I got started I'd only have one computer instead of two and I wouldn't have a spare CPU lying around after I order a new one. :)

ChasR: Sadly, Im not as lucky as you, I DO have two computers but one is a P3 500mhz. So No swapping there, but I have 3 extra mobos, an extra set of RAM (2 sticks kingston valueRAM pc3200 1gb total) and 2 extra psus =) So I have plenty of testing equipment except another processor, although I do want to get a sl6wk. Batboy has an sl6wj I think and his is up to 3.5 (250) Anywho, good to know Im not the only one exploiting my own tomfooleries. Good luck in your OCing

Edge386 said:
When I first got my 2.8c D1 I thought, "wow, I have a decent processor now that I can actually overclock, this is great" So I get all excited and start bumping it up 1mhz at a time and next thing i know im up to 241 fsb. Sounds good to me, but I wanted 250 fsb. Everything I ran on my computer gave me no errors or lockups, so then I decide to try the Prime 95 Torture test. Come to find out, my rig isnt stable at all. I got so hyped up in going for the gold that I didnt bother to REALLY test it out. I have given up on my excitement and am going to go day by day. 1 mhz at a time because I want a COMPLETELY stable rig at 250 fsb. No longer will I flood the forums with my useless screenshots and excited gabbing. I truly appreciate the help everyone has given me and I hope to be posting one day "Hit 250 FSB!!! Completely Stable!!!"
For all you New OCers out there like me, learn from my mistake, dont get excited and just jump right into it, you wont know what you're doing. Anywho, I'm going to be doing tons more reading about RAM timings and the 2.8 D1's. Thanks again everyone for the help. May you all overclock in good health.

-Edge386
another less then inspiring post :(

kidding, ive been prime 95 stable and folding stable but not be able to play the game generals stable.
when i can do all 3 i know im stable.
but its ok to say i hit such and such, now i just got to stablize it.
its good to know a chip can reach so high, i got my 2.4c to 3.6 but the system sure wasnt stable. but the chip was stable, just my other things werent. we share in your excitement even if its not stable, your there posting about it.:D

Back