• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need a list of websites that dont charge california sales tax

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
By law, isn't any business in California have to charge a tax (it's not a optional thing)? So, conversely, any business not physically located in California don't have to charge a California tax.

By law, isn't any business in California have to charge a tax (it's not a optional thing)? So, conversely, any business not physically located in California don't have to charge a California tax.

I know thats the law. Im wondering if anyone knows specific sites that dont have physical locations in california and therefore dont have to pay sales tax. if anyone knows of stores that dont let me know.

Legally speaking if you as a citizen of california, buy something from a company that does not charge sales tax you are obligated to keep track of that and pay the tax when you file your taxes at the end of the year.
Most people, of course, don't. Technically that is illegal.

Legally speaking if you as a citizen of california, buy something from a company that does not charge sales tax you are obligated to keep track of that and pay the tax when you file your taxes at the end of the year.
Most people, of course, don't. Technically that is illegal.

when you order from amazon you donthave to pay sales tax. if the company doesnt have a warehouse or store in california you are all good.

Not if you're in the california.
If the business is not in california it does not have to collect sales tax and give it to the state.
You however are still obligated to pay it, california just hasn't figured out how to track that yet.

It's the "Use tax". Started in 1935 in response to some states (oregon for instance) not charging tax I guess.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/ads/news06.htm

Last edited:
Not if you're in the california.
If the business is not in california it does not have to collect sales tax and give it to the state.
You however are still obligated to pay it, california just hasn't figured out how to track that yet.

It's the "Use tax". Started in 1935 in response to some states (oregon for instance) not charging tax I guess.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/ads/news06.htm

however, inquiring about this isnt necessarily illegal.

It could aaaaallllmost be conspiracy to avoid taxes if someone does cough up a list. If both people used the list to avoid paying taxes that would, I think, count. Good luck prosecuting that though.
I am not a lawyer. It's an interesting concept though, ya know?

I do not have a list in any case.

I know amazon does not charge sales tax. what are some others? im having a hard time finding them.

Hate to say it you probably wont. I live in Ca and it is getting redicules as to how much in taxes you are paying. My advice is if you have friends or family outside the state send the item to them and have them ship it to you. Trust me when caculating how much you would get gouged locally and then how much you will get gouged from an etailer it is well worth it.

What market are you interested in? What type of products?

Easier to list specific sites if we can look by product type... A good place to ask this question might be www.abestweb.com. They are affiliate marketers (they promote/advertise other people's products), and they are pretty well aware of who charges sales tax and who doesn't because it affects their businesses. They might be better positioned to lend you input.

Hate to say it you probably wont. I live in Ca and it is getting redicules as to how much in taxes you are paying. My advice is if you have friends or family outside the state send the item to them and have them ship it to you. Trust me when caculating how much you would get gouged locally and then how much you will get gouged from an etailer it is well worth it.

abt.com doesnt charge tax. :) i was able to get a 16gb nexus for 249 shipped.

What market are you interested in? What type of products?

Easier to list specific sites if we can look by product type... A good place to ask this question might be www.abestweb.com. They are affiliate marketers (they promote/advertise other people's products), and they are pretty well aware of who charges sales tax and who doesn't because it affects their businesses. They might be better positioned to lend you input.

definitely electronics

Back