• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a router. got recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
I've been using my roommate's 4 port linksys the last year. Its alright, but I've never been able to share files (like the stuff I write, and pics I've scanned, or game mods) thru IM programs, even with the ports forwarded to my IP. I've also had some trouble hosting games or joing games hosted by buddies, although I could always connect to public servers. I can be sure if these problems were on my end or not, still the linksys has a kinda negative shade cast on it in my mind.

I'm starting to think 4 ports won't be enough, so I may look for an 8. I saw a Netgear 4 port for $45 at Fry's the other day. I wonder if 2 of those would work ok (mostly only one rig needs real access, the rest are just folders and internet browsing/email boxes)?

Recommend a good sub $150 8 port router (the cheaper the better) or let me know if I'd have a lot of trouble using 2 4 port netgear routers.

I was gonna post the same thread but I figure you already started one

I need a USB router

I have DSl with a Alcatel USB modem I was told there are no USB routers available what do I do now??

I am thinking of getting the Netgear router with VPN and a 7 port switch. Good or bad? Costs about $120.

I personally run a Linksys 4 port (for now).

If you need 8 ports, either get an 8 port router, or just get a 4port router, and a hub to go with it.

You could always build your own too. With some of the new linux distros that fit on floppy, it's pretty easy. (www.freesco.com is really easy to use). I got a pimped out case running a blazing 486 33mhz with 20mb of ram and a 40mb hard drive that's waiting to be put into action.

dont get the d-link DI604, it doesnt even have port forwarding, and it wont let me dowload things on filesharing programs, sucks for playing online games on hosts like gamespy arcade. Im gonna get a new one soon and just use the leds out of this one or something. hehe

If i were you i would go to e-bay and get a cisco router. Get your self a book and learn the IOS or post questions here...

drdingo21 said:
If i were you i would go to e-bay and get a cisco router. Get your self a book and learn the IOS or post questions here...

a cisco router for a small network.. I like the cisco routers but why would 1 be needed for a home network?

need faster convergance!! :D

Netgear FVS318

I just purchased the Netgear FVS318 8 port VPN firewall. In general, it works well, but I am having problems configuring the VPN connections to anything other than the recommended other FVS318 or 3rd party software (SafeNet). I understand they are planning on supporting Microsoft's client, but no word yet. (Note: I do not have another FVS318 or SafeNet, so I can't comment on those connections).

Functionality, other than VPN:
Works great for all LAN connections and gaming inside the firewall. I have been able to expose the NAT ports for D2, UT, MotoMad2, and JK2, but not for DungeonSiege (however, DS has a lot of problems in general, especially with patch1.1, which I recommend avoiding until GPG or MS fixes).

o0OBruceLeeO0o said:
dont get the d-link DI604, it doesnt even have port forwarding, and it wont let me dowload things on filesharing programs, sucks for playing online games on hosts like gamespy arcade. Im gonna get a new one soon and just use the leds out of this one or something. hehe

HUH i have this d-link Di604 i think this router works great i have no problems downloading files on filesharing programs and i use gamespy arcade for playing counter strike with no problems. Did you flash the router with the latest firmware .bin file? with this router i see no speed decrease between running my cable modem directly through my pc verses through my router. this is not the greatest router out there but for the price you can't beat it and it works great.

My brother picked up one of those DI-604's a few months ago when they were like $30 at Best Buy after rebate. It's worked great for him so far, but I've read a lot of bad review about this router too though. Check out:

Practically Networked

for site reviews and user reviews of various SOHO network equipment. You can get a pretty good idea of which products are problematic and which aren't.

Well seeing as how I have a USB modem with my DSL I just went with a "2wire Homelink" modem\router, It's in the mail now I 'll post how it works I got it off of E-bay.

I got my 2 comps connected with a crossover cable, my client with win2000 can see my host with xp on it(any files I've shared) but I cannot access the client from the host, well at this point neither is actually a host right??
Thats a good question ,just came to me if you got 2 comps hooked to a router is either one actually a host??

TRANCER24 said:

HUH i have this d-link Di604 i think this router works great i have no problems downloading files on filesharing programs and i use gamespy arcade for playing counter strike with no problems. Did you flash the router with the latest firmware .bin file? with this router i see no speed decrease between running my cable modem directly through my pc verses through my router. this is not the greatest router out there but for the price you can't beat it and it works great.

i donwloaded the latest firmware and it said I already had it installed. Hmmm Can u host games on gamespy? I play em alright but i cant host

I got my 2 comps connected with a crossover cable, my client with win2000 can see my host with xp on it(any files I've shared) but I cannot access the client from the host, well at this point neither is actually a host right??

Your setup is a peer to peer (workgroup) network so both computers are actually clients and hosts to each other. Make sure you are logged in to both computers with the same user account and password, and that both computers are part of the same workgroup. Since it's peer to peer, when you access resources on another computer across your network, the computer being accessed checks it's local security database for the credentials of the user trying to get access. If the info doesn't match then it doesn't give you access.

You have a USB modem hooked up to one computer which is networked to another computer through a CAT 5 crossover cable? Why don't you just share you're internet connection to the other computer using NAT or Proxy software, and then install some firewall software? If you do it right you should get the same functionality and protection that a hardware router/firewall gives you for lower cost, free even.

Back