• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help building a subwoofer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it looks like an antec 350, i have something similar
its like 18a on 12v i think, its enough for a legacy.
trust me on this one, i had that amp and trashed it because it was so bad compared so other amps. Even the new PYLE amps are better.

Lol, I know the video doesn't work, we were made throw it in as a mere formality. I got rid of it.

The power supply is an Antec 400w Smartpower, it's a very good PS and you're spot on Korndog, 18A exactly.

Well, I hope the amp doesn't go arse-up for me.... :-/

P.S. Korngod, what do want a Z3 for!? :D

;)

voodoomelon said:
Hey all!
Been a while, but i've finally got my 1000w subwoofer built and up and working!

;)

18a*12volts = 216watts. amps are usually about 50% efficient. so that gives you 108watts to the subwoofer.

zabomb4163 said:
18a*12volts = 216watts. amps are usually about 50% efficient. so that gives you 108watts to the subwoofer.
thats true.
but besides that 1000w is the MAX. people don't get this, max means it can burp 1000w for a few seconds before blowing (this is at very low impedances)
the true rating is..
# 75 watts RMS x 2 (4 ohm load)
# 125 watts RMS x 2 (2 ohm load)
This is rated at 14.4v so its probably 50x2 rms at >12v, so you're getting 100w to it if you're running a dual 4ohm coil or about 150w if you're running it bridged on a single 4ohm. You're psu probably won't be stressing over that..
you could have gotten a profile or lanzar 400w-600w for the same price, but it will actually out put 400w-600w, but besides all that, the quality will be better, it will be cleaner.

voodoomelon said:
P.S. Korngod, what do want a Z3 for!? :D
;)

Z3s are sweet, but i'm starting to change my mind again.. if i have the time i might get an old 300zx and fix it up (that doesn't mean sup it up)

but besides that 1000w is the MAX. people don't get this, max means it can burp 1000w for a few seconds before blowing (this is at very low impedances)

When they do peak power rating its usually far less than a few seconds I believe. Most the time they apply the power for a fraction of a second but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway good work on the sub voodoomelon! MDF is pretty picky when It comes to painting. I've found the only way to get a really even coat is to use primer first (a few layers and sand between coats). Since The MDF soaks up paint like a spong. But Since you made all your cuts at 45 degree angle you dont have to worry about the edge of the MDF soaking up more than the side (which is a big problem usually).

Ryan

Ryan T said:
When they do peak power rating its usually far less than a few seconds I believe. Most the time they apply the power for a fraction of a second but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway good work on the sub voodoomelon! MDF is pretty picky when It comes to painting. I've found the only way to get a really even coat is to use primer first (a few layers and sand between coats). Since The MDF soaks up paint like a spong. But Since you made all your cuts at 45 degree angle you dont have to worry about the edge of the MDF soaking up more than the side (which is a big problem usually).

Ryan
i'm just saying that because i tried it on a pyramid amp that was 500w max at 1ohm, but only 2ohm stable, wired it up at 1/2 ohm and a 14v alternator (good old german cars got big alternators ;)) at first it blew right away without playing anything, the fuse blew, so i put bigger fuse and tried it again and it lasted for a few seconds, didn't really count, it got a lot louder, but something eles blew in it after like 3 thumps at max volume. pyramid is not better then legacy, so a few seconds sounds about right.

man, i just just painted my box 2 hours ago, i totaly forgot about mdf soaking paint :-/ the metal and plastic parts came out like a car paint finish, but the wood came out spongy, lol.
fiberglass sound good right now :)

i'm just saying that because i tried it on a pyramid amp that was 500w max at 1ohm, but only 2ohm stable, wired it up at 1/2 ohm and a 14v alternator (good old german cars got big alternators ) at first it blew right away without playing anything, the fuse blew, so i put bigger fuse and tried it again and it lasted for a few seconds, didn't really count, it got a lot louder, but something eles blew in it after like 3 thumps at max volume. pyramid is not better then legacy, so a few seconds sounds about right.

Ahh, I thought you were refering to the subwoofer drivers peak power. My bad.

man, i just just painted my box 2 hours ago, i totaly forgot about mdf soaking paint the metal and plastic parts came out like a car paint finish, but the wood came out spongy, lol.
fiberglass sound good right now
Cool, What subwoofer are you building right now if you dont mind me asking. Id love to see some pictures!

Ryan

Yeah, I know the Legacy isn't actually 1000w. i'm thinking of selling it anyway to some unsuspecting buyer. I'll make a decent profit as car amps go for a lot more over here than the US.

I'm in the market for a new 5.1 amp, eBay, here I come...

;)

do u mean 6channel?
usually 5.1 is the 4 lefts and rights and a center channel and the .1 is for the subwoofer.
you better make sure you want 5.1 or 4.1.
i would seriously recommend a seperate amp for the kenwood. the kenwood subs have a heavy cone. although they are decent, they will not give you the best quality but they will give you decent spl (.. loudness :D) for a 1000w that is. I'd suggest getting a class D amp so its more effiecent, something thats 500w or more. Look into MTX amps. Get a car battery (cheapo one) and use it for its capacity, add a second power supply to the assembly and let it blast, you'll have the cops at your front door in no time. :)

r u refering to the magnet doing damage to a computer? magnets do NOTHING to computers, even hard drives, you can search "pump magnet damage computer" in the watercooling section for more into on that.

If a sub was strong enough, the vibrations might damage something or screw up your burns, lol, but if it was that strong/loud, i would be more concerned about your ear drums then a computer

nothing eh? I'll post some pictures of what my subwoofer does to my monitor if its less than 3 feet away.

yep, zabomb's right - magnets do a ALOT to computers, especially if they aren't sheilded and especially ones of that size.

a monitor is not a computer.. we were talking about 'towers' right?
here..
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=1463288&postcount=9
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=148135&highlight=magnet+damage

if you think about it a little, the ONLY thing a magnet will do is move Fe or mess with another magnets electrical field. With that said, the only things that are affect is the monitor and hard drive, but the hard drive requires such a powerful that even the adire's Parthenon wouldn't damage it. for a monitor on the other hand, my old power acoustic sub with a 270oz magnet used to make it green about 6 or 7 ft away, although i had it stored in a shelf about 2ft away from my computer. I have two JL 10" with huge magnets in the same shelf for the past 4 months and my computer has no problems. to top it off, i've had a 2lb magnet/pump running in my computer for 4 years now and nothing has happend, although i have to keep it atleast 4 ft away from my monitor so it doesn't screw up the color.

Last edited:
i sugest that you put a capasitor inline of your amp to save your power supply
with a 1000w sub and under powering it,
will put a lot of strain on the amp
i recommend using at least a 1/2 farad
prob 1 farad capasitor will be best though

good work on the sub box
(sugestion use 3/4 or 1in MDF when building a sub box no matter what
wattage the sub is )

Hey, if you want to risk long-term exposure to a magnetic field on your hard drive full of data, feel free. Personally I'd just move the computer a few feet away for safety's sake. ;)

I know with my subwoofer, I moved my computer because I was more worried about the huge vibration it caused (the PC was also sitting on the floor with the sub).

when you guys find "boxes"/encloseurs for your subs, do you use specific ones, or do you just find a box that looks nice and put it in? cause are you considering the resonant lengths and all the other physics crap?

Back