• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help improving my download speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ktrop20

I have Comcast and the plan i have allows me to get up to 75mbps and over. When i connect my laptop to the router directly it gets 80mbps which is what I'm aiming for on my desktop but i cant seem to get past 30 mbps. Right now I'm currently using a TP link power line adapter with my desktop but I'm getting like 1 megabyte per second so it takes a long time to download things. Ive tried d-link and Belkin adapters also but I was only able to get up to 3 megabytes per second or 30mbps. I would get a good network card but my mobo doesn't have a pci-e slot available. I'm thinking about getting a pci-e slot adapter from alie express http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...32252086625.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.2.sRjpzP. I'm not sure if that's the right thing. A usb pci-e slot adapter would be perfect. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

I have tried a couple usb adapters but they didn't increase it by much. I will check out the one you linked.

A lot depends on location of the Comcast gateway device and it's distance from the computers you are using as well as structures such as walls inbetween. Also, the Comcast equipment is only so so as far as transmission power goes. This summer I disabled the Comcast gateway device and bought a high powered dual band router (http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Wirel...690&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=C+19+tp-link+router) and moved it to the center of my house. Made a huge difference in connection speeds. Used to be the signal was too weak when I was using the Comcast gateway device when I was at the far end of the house. Now it's strong all over. I just use the Comcast gateway device now as a modem and pass the routing function onto my TP-Link Archer C1900.

I have tried several different power line adapter products and been disappointed. I think they would work well if you amount of wiring in your electrical system is limited but in a larger dwelling not so good.

Last edited:
I figured out that it was the attic i had my pc in because when i move my laptop out of it it skyrockets to 70+ mbps silly me.

It's always best to have the router up high. You had the opposite.

Back