• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Need Help Picking a New Power Supply ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sparkle is another branch of Fortron Source Power, and Aopen has been using their units for a while now. AFAIK, all recent Aopens are Fortron made. Aside from the 530w, I would look for any of the 120mm fan models. Aopen also carries the big 550w EPS units too IIRC.

You say you have a vendor carrying Aopen - would they happen to be online? I like their motherboards, even though mine had some minor design issues.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Sparkle is another branch of Fortron Source Power, and Aopen has been using their units for a while now. AFAIK, all recent Aopens are Fortron made. Aside from the 530w, I would look for any of the 120mm fan models. Aopen also carries the big 550w EPS units too IIRC.

You say you have a vendor carrying Aopen - would they happen to be online? I like their motherboards, even though mine had some minor design issues.
no they're not online. they're a wholesaler. thx for the info tho, interesting. i didnt know that they where all the same more or less ....

Some other Fortron brands are Hi-Q, PowerQ (both budget lines with sleeve bearing fans), Powertech (watch out -- some are actually Powertek but with the name misspelled), and Trend (I saw one Canadian dealer carry that).

I have seen Fortron made units under a lot of other names over the years too (Powerman comes to mind). Usually Fortron produced units will still carry the FSP model number, making their true identity clear enough.

All of the Aopen supplies I've seen for sale seperately in recent years have been Fortrons. You do have to watch out with Acer cases though, they often use cheaper grades of supplies (which makes sense when people want a $30 case with power supply, and it costs at least $30 to get a serviceable supply).

Indeed. Look for the "FSP". :)
The 300w Fortron/Sparkle units are actually underrated, unlike some others.
All the ones I've had are clearly capable of more than the spec label would
lead you to believe.

Burnt_Ram said:
never seen this site yet. thx. too late tho, i already ordered that Antec True Power 480. 110.00 cdn. should be fine .. iwont be doing any *serious* overclocking with the rig in question.

Well, apparently I am a tad too late, but this site shoplci.com has all the Sparkle unit. They also have several retail stores in Qc.

Back