• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help selecting RAM...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yellahfellah

I'm building a low-cost unit from mostly pre-owned parts but have decided to buy new RAM chips which are relatively cheap nowadays. The board I'm using is an Asrock P45TS which only accepts DDR3 1333 RAM. Now, I'm choosing between G Skill Ripjaws X 4GB DDR3 1333 CL9 and Team Elite 4 GB DDR3 1333 CL9 with Heat Spreader because they are almost the same price here. I'll be getting a pair for Dual Channel, total of 8GB.

I am thinking of getting the Team Elite because they have lifetime warranty and also are "Direct Replace" at the store where I canvassed. According to them, their warranty for the G Skill RAM is only 1 year plus another year with the local distributor. (I have also heard that RMA-ing with G Skill is a long & tedious process).

So please tell me what you think as to which RAM brand I should go for... (between the 2 listed above). Thanks!

Other info: My processor is a Core 2 Duo E6550 2.3Ghz 1333FSB with 4MB cache, and will be using a Sapphire HD 5570 1GB DDR3 video card. Storage will be 2 SATA HDDs (80GB & 1TB) and will also be using an old BenQ ODD. My PSU is an old "true-rated" Great Wall 450 watts.

if the motherboard supports overclocking you should get higher speed ram so it doesn't limit you max cpu speed.

if your motherboard doesn't allow overclocking then you can just set the ram at the standard lower frequency.

either way i recommend getting at least a 1600 MHz kit, as it won't cost much more and will be able to run at 1333Mhz easily.

if the motherboard supports overclocking you should get higher speed ram so it doesn't limit you max cpu speed.

if your motherboard doesn't allow overclocking then you can just set the ram at the standard lower frequency.

either way i recommend getting at least a 1600 MHz kit, as it won't cost much more and will be able to run at 1333Mhz easily.

Yes, the motherboard supports overclocking. It's an Asrock P45TS based on the Intel Chipset P45, and supports both DDR2 and DDR3 (up to 1333 only). This is what it says at the Asrock Product Page: "Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1333/1066 (2 x DIMM slots) with max. capacity up to 8GB"

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P45TS-R

Do you mean to tell me that I can use a DDR3 1600 RAM chip on it and set it to 1333 Mhz? I was afraid that it may not recognize the 1600 RAM chip.

Last edited:
there will be standard bios options to set the ram to either 800, 1067, or 1333MHz. faster ram speed than this can only be achieved with overclocking.

however, overclocking the cpu is done by increasing the speed of all components on the motherboard at the same time.

if your ram is rated at 1333Mhz you will only be able to increase the system speed until you reach just over 1333Mhz ram speed.

advertised ram speed is just a quality rating, the higher the rated speed the higher quality ram. compatibility is not an issue with ram speed, lower speed ram will limit max overclocking on that motherboard.

1600Mhz should be sufficient to take your cpu to its max overclock.

From looking at the internet it all points to DDR3 1333 CL9 Ram for your Mobo, as i am no ram Guru here i still could be wrong! The other most important question which has been overlooked is whats your OS and is it 32 Bit or 64 Bit? As this will limit the amount of ram your system will be able to use! AJ.

Okay... so i take it that my board will accept a DDR3 1600 RAM chip if I set it to 1333 Mhz at the BIOS?

I would just like to confirm this because it says at the Asrock website that the P45TS "Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1333/1066 (2 x DIMM slots) with max. capacity up to 8GB". There is no mention of support for DDR 1600 RAM chips...

From looking at the internet it all points to DDR3 1333 CL9 Ram for your Mobo, as i am no ram Guru here i still could be wrong! The other most important question which has been overlooked is whats your OS and is it 32 Bit or 64 Bit? As this will limit the amount of ram your system will be able to use! AJ.

My OS will be a Dual boot of Windows 7 & Windows 8, both 64-bit.

As for my motherboard, I would like to know if it is possible to insert a DDR3 1600 RAM chip on it even though it says at the Asrock website that the P45TS: "Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1333/1066 (2 x DIMM slots) with max. capacity up to 8GB"

My OS will be a Dual boot of Windows 7 & Windows 8, both 64-bit.

As for my motherboard, I would like to know if it is possible to insert a DDR3 1600 RAM chip on it even though it says at the Asrock website that the P45TS: "Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1333/1066 (2 x DIMM slots) with max. capacity up to 8GB"

yes

I don't think it does. According to the manual...
CAUTION!
1. Some CPU you adopt may be overclocked to FSB2000 MHz, in this situation, please adopt DDR3 1333 memory modules on this motherboard. This motherboard supports native FSB1600/1333/1066/800 MHz. For normal operation, you do no need to adjust the jumper settings. For special overclocking mode, please refer to page 22 for proper jumper settings.
The board has jumpers which reflect the different straps available (200, 266, 333, and 400), and the board allows for overclocking, but as far as the max. supported frequency of the DDR3 DIMM slots, from what I gather DDR3-1333 is the max. frequency allowable.

redduc thanks my friend that's what i read as well, but i was not 100% sure on it. Regards AJ.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THAT!!!

So now, which brand/model of DDR3 1600 will I get? I have a choice between these 2 that are similarly priced...

- G Skill Ares 8GB - 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CL9 (F3 1600C9D 8GAB)

- G skill Ripjaws X 8GB - 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CL9

I don't think it does. According to the manual...

The board has jumpers which reflect the different straps available (200, 266, 333, and 400), and the board allows for overclocking, but as far as the max. supported frequency of the DDR3 DIMM slots, from what I gather DDR3-1333 is the max. frequency allowable.

Uh-oh... so what now???

1600mhz rated ram will run at 1333MHz, 1333Mhz rated ram will not run at 1600Mhz.

so given that there is a $1 difference, you can't go wrong will higher rated ram. get the 1600Mhz.

Okay... so basically you're saying that if a board can run DDR3, then I can use any DDR3 chip on it.

This is an old board (around 2008 I think...) and it's possible that DDR3 1333Mhz was the fastest chip at that time and may very well be the reason why it just indicates support for up to DDR 1333 Mhz only at the Asrock website & also at the User Manual.

THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!

Correct as i have spent time reading the PDF Manuel and looking at the overclock settings. So try it and also to cover your self ask if this does not work, can i bring them back to exchange? Best of luck my friend salamat gid.

Back