• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need info on Gigabyte bios and 6 core functionality

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eyecan'tcode

Registered
I'm building a new rig and now I'm leaning towards AMD due to the boards have more than 2 sata 6Gb/s connections. Usually I'd choose Intel for a build, and although I really like the sound of the i7, I'd prefer more than 2 sata 6Gb/s. Besides If I'm ever gonna try AMD, what better time than now with there 6 core pcu so cheap. Which leads me to my questions. What Mobo manufacture actually makes a board that works properly with the 6 core pcu. I've been eyeing Gigabyte's boards, but have heard lots of bios issues. Everything from RAM not being seen correctly to Only 4 of the 6 cores being recognized. I was thinking of the GA-890FXA-UD5, but really concerned about the forementioned issues. I have never been a OCer, but I believe I'll give it a go this time around, so the board would have to be friendly to OCing. The board would also have to be as bios buggy free as possible. Max price would be $250.

Any suggestions?

PS If there was an intel based board out there that had 3+ sata 6Gb/s, Then my choice would already be made. I'll ask this in the intel section.

$250 covers every AMD board made so budget isn't an issue. The Gigabyte UD7 is also an option as are the two ASUS 890FX boards. Since all these boards are new there are occasional BIOS issues but, so far, ASUS and Gigabyte have been on top of it coming out with new BIOS updates quickly and as needed. If there were recognition problems with the number of cores or RAM they are looooong gone.

Note that every good board made has a QVL (qualified vendors lists) for RAM. As long as your RAM is on there it shouldn't be a problem - and most RAM that isn't on there runs fine as well ...

QVL really doesn't matter anymore, at least with ASUS. They got a button thats called Mem OK! Pretty much hardlines the Memory into the BIOS saying that what you have works. Although your OCing will be a bit limited with the RAM, you can at least run them.

My suggestion is to Get UD5, M4A89TD PRO or UD7. Those are good for the money and will work great for you.

Hey Dolk, I see you're running a 1090T; Did you have any issues at all with the 6 core bios setup?

Back