• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some advice on a vga block.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rickey

I have searched the forums and everywhere else to find an answer. I have a GIGABYTE GV-N220OC-1GI GeForce GT 220 1GB video card that I just got from the egg. I also have an Enzotech VGA-IS Forged Copper VGA Waterblock that I purchased from Performance PCs. I got in touch with Enzotech and asked them if this block would work with this card and they said no. They said this block is only compatible with these cards which for the most part are no longer available:

- GeForce™ 200 series (260, 275, 280, 285)
- NVIDIA 9800 GTX
- NVIDIA 8800(G92)GT / GTS series
- NVIDIA 8800(G80)GTX / GTS series
- NVIDIA 6800 / 7800 /7900 / 8600 series

I know some will ask why even bother to water cool this GeForce GT 220, well that is because this is the card I have and this is the water block I have. I don't want to damage the card by putting the wrong water block on it. I just simply need to know if anyone has ever used this block on this card. If this block won't work, would the Swiftech MCW80 work (I don't like full cover waterblocks)? I don't do much overclocking but I still like to know that the cpu and gpu are cooled the best I can.

Thanks, Rickey

Your probably right. Do you know if the Swiftech MCW80 will work? It's supposed to be a universal block and it says it will work on all 200 series cards. I tried to read the forums on Swiftech's new site but the spammers have invaded it severely.

I could I guess buy another card and block if necessary as long as I stay on good terms with my wife. Like I said, I don't do much overclocking but I am a firm believer in water cooling. I have had a water cooled computer for years, starting with one of the old Titan water cooling systems. I do play some war games but I mainly run video editing software.

From the looks of your signature, you know a whole lot more about this than I do, what would you recommend for a decent video card and water block for around $200 total?

if you get something like a 560ti (or ATI's card at the same pricepoint...I'm assuming you can utilize cuda cores though because of video editing, if not go ATi) used and then go universal on it (again used) you can stay under 200

I have been bitten a few times by buying used parts. I don't know which way I will go at this point. I can't afford one of those high end cards and I really don't even think I need one. Newegg still has a few of the old 9800 gt cards, I will probably just order one of those and be done with it. That way the waterblock I have will work.

Back