• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some advice with my first WC setup. Quad for 4GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The-Traveler

I'm aiming to watercool my current computer to hit 4GHz. Usually I wouldn't be asking you guys right away before researching what I should buy, however I'm visiting family in Bosnia and Croatia right now so I figured since I'm in Europe I should see if there's anything I should buy here that I cannot get in Canada.

Was originally going to buy everything from NCIX.ca. I'm in Toronto.

Hardware is as follows:

Antec P182 Case
Antec Quattro 850W PSU
EVGA 8800GTX
P5E3 Deluxe WIFI/AP
2GB OCZ DDR3-1800
Intel Q6600 G0

Currently I can run 450x7 stable but at 450x8 it becomes an issue, with temps reaching high 70s / low 80s with the side panel off. The current cooler is the thermalright 120 eXtreme.

I don't think I'll be watercooling the motherboard as there's too much that I need to buy if I replace the crazy heatpipe solution. Won't be watercooling the GPU either, too much effort and money for what, 20MHz extra on the core?

So I know that I want 1/2" tubing because it looks better that 1/4, and I know that I want to mount the radiator outside the case somehow since the case has watercooling holes. Also, I would prefer to have this as quiet as possible.

Can someone please suggest a high end pump/cpu block/radiator combination? How low can my temps go with the Quad, can I keep it under 50 degrees?

I've heard the 120.3 radiator is among the best, oh and size doesn't matter.

I'm aiming to watercool my current computer to hit 4GHz. Usually I wouldn't be asking you guys right away before researching what I should buy, however I'm visiting family in Bosnia and Croatia right now so I figured since I'm in Europe I should see if there's anything I should buy here that I cannot get in Canada.

Was originally going to buy everything from NCIX.ca. I'm in Toronto.

Hardware is as follows:

Antec P182 Case
Antec Quattro 850W PSU
EVGA 8800GTX
P5E3 Deluxe WIFI/AP
2GB OCZ DDR3-1800
Intel Q6600 G0

Currently I can run 450x7 stable but at 450x8 it becomes an issue, with temps reaching high 70s / low 80s with the side panel off. The current cooler is the thermalright 120 eXtreme.

I don't think I'll be watercooling the motherboard as there's too much that I need to buy if I replace the crazy heatpipe solution. Won't be watercooling the GPU either, too much effort and money for what, 20MHz extra on the core?

So I know that I want 1/2" tubing because it looks better that 1/4, and I know that I want to mount the radiator outside the case somehow since the case has watercooling holes. Also, I would prefer to have this as quiet as possible.

Can someone please suggest a high end pump/cpu block/radiator combination? How low can my temps go with the Quad, can I keep it under 50 degrees?

I've heard the 120.3 radiator is among the best, oh and size doesn't matter.

oh i know the owners of thermochill personally, and those rads they make are still the best.

Yes get a TC PA 120.3RAD and a Liang DDC ULTRA pump (with alphacool plexitop) CPU BLOCK D-TEK fusion 1 or 2

Nexus fans are your best bet for the fans.

Of you want bling i.E glowy UV lights and the fluid to glow then use 7/16" ID tubing (musclear) 7/16" offers the same flow as 1/2" id but still takes up less space.

If your not bothered about bling then use the Tygon or clear flex 7/16" tubing

Barbs on the rad will be 3/8" to to half inch id BST thread

pump and res will use g-1/4" thread BST to half inch (you have two choices perfect seal or high-flow)

gilgamesh

Last edited:
I had a grand post, but I closed the window :(, this is the gist...

Canadian prices can actually be cheaper (twelve hundred is $160 (direct Canada) in Canada and $214(Newegg) in the US.) than other places. This is due to the high dollar that is almost equal to the USD.

Basically buying in Canada could end up being cheaper.

You might be able to pick up a Thermochill for cheap. Particularly if you go to Britain, but because you're in Europe, there's a chance you could get one (locally or ship from a British store)

Canadian prices can actually be cheaper (twelve hundred is $160 (direct Canada) in Canada and $214(Newegg) in the US.) than other places. This is due to the high dollar that is almost equal to the USD.

Basically buying in Canada could end up being cheaper.

You might be able to pick up a Thermochill for cheap. Particularly if you go to Britain, but because you're in Europe, there's a chance you could get one (locally or ship from a British store)

hehe why not go direct and they can ship it to you?

www.over-clock.co.uk

(hint they own thermochill)

gilgamesh

hehe why not go direct and they can ship it to you?

That appears to be the way to go as I cant find one "in stock" thermochill rad anywhere!

Is this their popularity vs production volume, or are they just keeping their products close to home??

Thanks for the reply guys, most especially gilgamesh1.

I dont mean to derail my own thread but after I posted this I began looking into phase change systems.

Turns out this watercooling will probably cost me over 400 CAD. With around 1000 I can get a Promethia phase change system that will cool below 0 and wont leak and can be used with future systems.

Are there any advantages to WC as opposed to phase change besides the cost difference? AFAIK WC requires maintenance while PC doesn't.

Anyone?

That appears to be the way to go as I cant find one "in stock" thermochill rad anywhere!

Is this their popularity vs production volume, or are they just keeping their products close to home??

SOOOOOOOOO popular they ship out 32 THOUSAND rads a month!

thats the figure steve at over-clock gave me

gilgamesh

Thanks for the reply guys, most especially gilgamesh1.

I dont mean to derail my own thread but after I posted this I began looking into phase change systems.

Turns out this watercooling will probably cost me over 400 CAD. With around 1000 I can get a Promethia phase change system that will cool below 0 and wont leak and can be used with future systems.

Are there any advantages to WC as opposed to phase change besides the cost difference? AFAIK WC requires maintenance while PC doesn't.

Anyone?

yes elctricity
one of my friends had a phase change

£600 per quaRter for the PHASE change ALONE!

unless you want to pay for additional expnses water is the way to go

gilgamesh

Back