• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I really Do Believe Microsoft Have Got Nothing Left?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

After reading MS's E3 presentation I honestly believe they have no ideas left in the tank at all why... I'll tell you.

1) The New Dashboard Is A Wii Rip Off
2) The Avatars Is a Mii Rip Off
3) Fallout 3 is getting exclusive content only for 360, Thats MS pankaing for sales like they did for GTA4.
4) Lips is a SingStar rip off

They've also come up with the same idea as what HOME promises to deliver groups chat with the avatars and straight into games etc. There's also a motion sensor pad I believe thats coming unless that was a rumor I'll give that as well cause Sony did also copy of a Wii idea with Six Axis.

I can't quite understand how that's all exciting whats they've announced I aint even looking forward to PS3's show tommorrow either. I am just going to play Burnout Paradise, Mercs 2 and BioShock because it's being a boring year for PS3 in my eyes too.

Nah, Wii clearly got its idea from the Playstion Eyetoy.:p Is a bit lame, but this is just the way business works. You come out with a product that is noticeable and others will try to clone it. Question is which version will be better.

After reading MS's E3 presentation I honestly believe they have no ideas left in the tank at all why... I'll tell you.

3) Fallout 3 is getting exclusive content only for 360, Thats MS pankaing for sales like they did for GTA4.

They've also come up with the same idea as what HOME promises to deliver groups chat with the avatars and straight into games etc. There's also a motion sensor pad I believe thats coming unless that was a rumor I'll give that as well cause Sony did also copy of a Wii idea with Six Axis.

I can't quite understand how that's all exciting whats they've announced I aint even looking forward to PS3's show tommorrow either. I am just going to play Burnout Paradise, Mercs 2 and BioShock because it's being a boring year for PS3 in my eyes too.

I was impressed with Microsoft's Final Fantasy coup. That was classic one-upsmanship at its finest.

I do think ripping off Nintendo is a bit of a joke though. Everybody knows Microsoft is still the REAL leader in this console race. They should be more worried about getting a bluray player and even bigger hard drives than 60gb than trying to copy Nintendo's mallrat tricks.

I like to see companies pushing the industry FORWARD... not sideways.

But, to me, this year is all about the fours: GTAIV, SCIV, Metal Gear Solid IV, and Street Fighter IV.

Nothing else (besides Fallout 3) really counts.

If nobody knew "exclusive content" was meaningless back when I TOLD EVERYONE it was meaningless... then they know it now that it's three months later, nobody even plays GTA anymore, and that content still hasn't arrived.

The same thing will happen with Fallout. (Not that I care: I'll be getting the PC version anyway. Fallout on a console=EWWWWW!)

The exclusive content is coming to the pc version as well. It's only the ps3 version that got left out.

Oh goody. Then it REALLY doesn't matter. Only someone who never played fallout 1 and 2 would get a console version of Fallout.

I kinda agree with the OP...

Honestly, when you think about it, Its kinda sad when your biggest announcement is a multi-platform game.

While thats great for Microsoft...Is it really that good? When your BEST is a game that was already known to be released on another console.

Then again, we may be seeing a change in the video game industry. More-so, a change in how game developers and publishers think. We are seeing less and less contracts for exclusives, and more games being developed on multiple consoles with contracts to have exclusive content instead.

Developers are now getting out of their exclusive contracts, and getting away from being too devout to a single console. And console makers are getting less power to control the developers ( in a sense ), and have to let the developer do what they want.

There are many less game companies today, than there was 10 years ago. They either go bankrupt, or get bought out by bigger companies. So a company that works largely with microsoft may end up buying a company that works mainly with Sony. With fewer and fewer companies, the console maker can no longer force single platform games. ( yes, there are exceptions to this. It could be fun to talk about it, but i don't want this post to be too long )

Either way, As long as quality doesn't drop, this isn't a bad thing. Its just different. It will be interesting to see how things develop in the next 5 to 10 years. Especially when the next-gen consoles get released. ( and a FYI. the PS3, 360, and Wii are CURRENT-GEN. They have been released, thus next-gen no longer applies. Next is future tense. Current is present tense. i STILL see people and articles apply "Next-gen" to the current generation of consoles ).

Microsoft Didn't really "win" FF. SquarEnix said to Sony "give us money or were going to Microsoft", so MS just kinda sat back and gained a epic game, JUST A SINGLE GAME.

The elimination of the blades is the dummest thing they could of done. They have forgotten the serious/hardcore gamer and have moved on to casual gaming. No Halokid2132 is going to care about netflix. But BBallmaster1232 will.

So their new dashboard looks like AppleTV + PS3, and their ideas come from Wii.

Microsoft Didn't really "win" FF. SquarEnix said to Sony "give us money or were going to Microsoft", so MS just kinda sat back and gained a epic game, JUST A SINGLE GAME.

The elimination of the blades is the dummest thing they could of done. They have forgotten the serious/hardcore gamer and have moved on to casual gaming. No Halokid2132 is going to care about netflix. But BBallmaster1232 will.

So their new dashboard looks like AppleTV + PS3, and their ideas come from Wii.

Yeah, but the really tragic part is that the entire industry got sidetracked. The "Next Gen" never happened. I think GTAIV (which was really just 720p GTAIII) was the last straw. Absolutely NOTHING about it was next gen (except for the water... hooray for the water...) Then you've got Nintendo bringing us a step BACKWARDS to the days of Rob the Video Robot back when they were still trying to sell game systems as toys. And then you have Sony taking gaming sideways by emphasizing their bluray player over any combination of it and... well... GAMES.

So of course you have the 360.... just spinning in circles.

I'm really REALLY disappointed with how this console generation turned out.

Who woulda thought? THEY ALL LOST!

Next gen systems turned out pretty cool in my book. Some people are never happy. I played MGS4 at my friends house last weekend and loved it. Can't quite afford to spend $1000-2000 upgrading to a new game system yet though. (need new tv too hence the steep price)

I suppose it depends how you define next Gen.
I just dont see whats different between the Xbox/PS2 and 360/PS3.

Ok, it looks prettier, and?

NES to SNES was a big jump in, if not what consoles could do, what was done with them.
Same goes for MegaDrive/CD/32x to PS1.

But whats fundamentaly different between the PS1 and the PS3? SixAxis?

The question I'd ask is, What do we want?

To shoot a rocket into a wall on GTA4 and make a hole?
Police who investigate murder crimes for more than 3 minutes?

RTS games with hundreds, if not thousands of units, where it makes sense to build them, unlike SupCom which was far less "supreme" than Total Annihilation.

FPS's that have no more enemies on screen than Doom? Multiplayer that has doubled in size in 10 years is just not good enough.

yup, a bad e3 showing, i agree, but no ideas left is a bit much. Avatars is a **** idea but the netflix is great. And honestly, what more do they need. I don't care if my 360 can hook up to my pc and upload my avatar to youtube which hooks up to my phone which sends pics of the video to all my friends which then....

Sadly, bungie's announcement got pulled which was all they had in terms of new news. Still plenty of good games coming out soon

Oh, and I may buy a ps3 for killzone 2 and resistance 2. they look amazing. And god of war 3 should be awesome

I think sony had the best presentation this year. Microsoft had nothing new and when that chick sang it was awkward cause no one knew who she was (assuming that people don;t know duffy, I dont) and she decided to sing different words than on the screen. it was awkward

I suppose it depends how you define next Gen.
I just dont see whats different between the Xbox/PS2 and 360/PS3.

Ok, it looks prettier, and?

NES to SNES was a big jump in, if not what consoles could do, what was done with them.
Same goes for MegaDrive/CD/32x to PS1.

But whats fundamentaly different between the PS1 and the PS3? SixAxis?

The question I'd ask is, What do we want?

To shoot a rocket into a wall on GTA4 and make a hole?
Police who investigate murder crimes for more than 3 minutes?

RTS games with hundreds, if not thousands of units, where it makes sense to build them, unlike SupCom which was far less "supreme" than Total Annihilation.

FPS's that have no more enemies on screen than Doom? Multiplayer that has doubled in size in 10 years is just not good enough.

All of the above and more would've been nice. What the hell was up with GTA and NO DESTRUCTIBLE ENVIRONMENTS?!?! They had that in Max Payne! The first one!

I can think of about twenty ways combat in Max Payne was better. But my big concern is they wasted just about ALL of the technical power at their disposal.

But even the menus and whatnot were childish. If they were going for a cartoony look then they certainly didn't succeed on the level of TF2. And if it was a style thing they didn't succeed on the level of Bioshock. (And neither of THOSE games received "10" reviews.)

I agree with you: The SNES moved the industry FORWARD. (I still remember my mother bought me Final Fantasy II on SNES and my best friend and I were like "Awwww... not an RPG..." then the strings kicked in and our jaws dropped...) Disc-based games moved the industry FORWARD.

And I expected a hell of a lot more from this console generation. Making a "Core System" was a step backwards for Microsoft. (In the previous generation every Xbox had a hard drive.) Not making a system that competed on a technical level with the competition was a step backwards for Nintendo. And I really expected more out of Sony's bluray drive. Maybe I'll still get it. I mean I'm not purchasing another console this generation... so who knows?

Although not much by way of technical improvement, the Wii is a huge step in what gaming is, even if the implementation is somewhat, rubbish.

hmmm put this as nice as possible OP.

ARE YOUR INSANE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Microsoft was pretty good i think Sony stole the show by far, but nintendo......
I just sold my gaming pc got a wii for my son and I (he's 4) we watched the live feed for nintendos conference he was bouncing around all happy about wii sports resort (which i think is kool also). Then they awakened a ancient dark evil.....
Wii Music....
Even my kid looked disappointed lol. I kinda scratched my head in disbelief.
Does nintendo think were all a bunch of idiots?

All's i have to say i just got back into consoles basicly my last machine was a dreamcast, and even then i only played that for PSO and PSOv.2.

I enter back into the console market and i already got my sights on buying a new console PS3 because sony seems to be heading in the right direction for old and young alike content wise.

It's a sad sad day for me i remember loving my snes. Loving almost every game they released they were all awesome. Now after wii music lol i'm almost scared to admit to having a wii.

Nintendo has the great idea for gaming that gets you off your A and gets you moving. They just need to realize people do have IQ's higher then dog's and cat's (least most people do lol).

I think for exclusive titles, the company that has the exclusive titles has to pay for the profit lost by the software company for not selling in multi-platform. In simple English, if I can make $100 by selling via both PS3 and Xbox360, and one of these companys request to have exclusive rights. I can only make $60 because of the exclusive rights contract. How am I going to be make up for the remaining $40? I suppose the company that has the exclusive rights has to make sure I can make $100, by compensating the $40 to me. It used to be simple between the PS2 and original Xbox. The ratio between these 2 is insanely huge. As of right now, Xbox360 is definitely stronger when compare to the PS3. However, this may not be the case in 5 years, or even just 2 years from now. Unless the software company is "own" by either company, we will see less and less exclusive titles.

By the way, does MS own Bungie?? I'm really hoping Gears of War will go to PS3.

I believe bungie left microsoft and are thier own company again.

That said...Gears of war was developed by Epic,

I agree with rainless that I don't see how anyone who played fallout/fallout 2 could get fallout 3 for console.

Microsoft is at that point where they are so massive, they are just trying to stay afloat.

They have 0 innovation and been at the top for too long.

Their crash is imminent.

Microsoft office is losing big time, zune is doing poorly, the general population hates Vista, Microsoft kind of doesn't care about PC gaming as much now that they have a console, DX10 was a let down.

List goes on.

I for one will be very happy the day that Microsoft crashes, maybe then some real competition will come up to challenge them and they'll have to go back to square one and start making some innovative stuff again.

Back