• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I really Do Believe Microsoft Have Got Nothing Left?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Rainless, since before the Nes, consoles were playered with a controller you held with two hands.
Your left hand controlled movement, your right pressed buttons.

The Wii Controller changed that significantly. I'd thats a 2d to 3d change.

Shiggity, everyone I know who has Vista on their new lap top thinks its a gift from God and I'm yet to even hear of a business that doesnt use MSOffice

Well not to get to into Microsoft debating, their resent sales figured over the past few years have killed previous numbers. They are very far from any trouble in a financial view.

The Wii remote is a nice toy for some. Though I personally just think they got the idea from the EyeToy so it's not like Nintendo is revolutionizing much either.

Maybe microsoft will answer my wishes. For next gen i want Johnny Mnemonic gloves and glasses etc. to play games and use the web with.

E3 on a whole hasn't been too impresive this year. I'd just like to take this moment to thanks all of you saps who bought consoles though, no offense. I'll admit that there is some fun to be had but not enough to outweigh the poor longevity and high cost of this generation's consoles. I'm thankful that I've had people who went out and bought these things and let me try them because it saved me a whole lot of money and disapointment. I'd agree with the comments that this generation hasn't moved us forward. It's a chronic problem that games are suffering from these days, remakes of the same content with better graphics. That's all MGS4 is, more of the same, just better looking. Graphics are not the focal point of gaming and until that changes I have a feeling that we'll keep seeing the same old crap. But hey, if that entertains you then it's a justified purchase, congrats.

Rainless, since before the Nes, consoles were playered with a controller you held with two hands.

Shiggity, everyone I know who has Vista on their new lap top thinks its a gift from God and I'm yet to even hear of a business that doesnt use MSOffice

Must be a very special group of friends you have. Most of my friends think that its a demon child sent from hell. In fact, one of my friends had to roll back to XP for his family business because they ran into too many issues.
The market speaks for itself. Computer manufacturers are offering XP OS as an option because a lot of people still want them. Dell was 100% vista for a short while and had to start offering XP again eventually. Its MS that is forcing the whole industry to move to Vista next year because they announced they will discontinued XP. Yes, MS is no where near financial trouble, because they are a monopoly in the PC OS industry. You either have to get XP or Vista. One way or the other, they get your money.

How many people actually use linux?

Actually a computer MOUSE did that long before the damned Wiimote. There are toys down at the mall that will let you play a game of tennis with plastic tennis rackets... but that didn't push the industry forward... they just gave some 15 year old kid $1.50 commission for every 15 bucks he managed to sell.

Microsoft is at that point where they are so massive, they are just trying to stay afloat.

I wouldn't call enjoying some of the biggest profit margins of any major business in any industry just trying to stay afloat.

okay, so what would be new to announce that you would want to see added to a console to make it better?

okay, so what would be new to announce that you would want to see added to a console to make it better?

Something that hasn't already been announced/out already like I said in my OP what MS have announced is whats out now with a new sort of face.

The expectation that any of the console producers would be unveiling major changes or improvements at an E3 is kinda weird to me. When has any console ever changed its functionality post-launch in a big, meaningful way? There are several that could have been, but weren't, like Sega CD and such add-on hardware that eventually proved to be irrelevant. The ONLY one I can think of off-hand in the last 20 years is MS adding Xbox Live to the Xbox1. That changed the console in a broad and meaningful way.

E3 introductions have always been gimicks and minor tweaks at best - why would there be any expectation for something bigger?

At least some of MS's gimicks and minor tweaks appear to be somewhat useful ones, like 16:10 resolutions support and Netflix queue checking.

The real E3 news midstream is always about games. What are the new games coming? How good do they look? In this case, MS delivered on merit of the Final Fantasy announcement even by itself. One can try to discount it by calling it multiplatform and talking about how Sony has it, too. Of course a Japanese console has Final Fantasy; that's not news. In truth, it is a historic landmark in gaming. The flagship of proud Japanese made gaming just landed on an AMERICAN console. Every development house in Japan is taking notice. The gaping chasm in MS's game lineup across two platforms just got filled. Yes, it is just one game. But, if competition in the console industry were a real war, this announcement would be Gettysburg.

Kebnshrio, they're just normal people, who use £500 laptops for checking their email, they think Vista is great.
WE all KNOW it sucks, but we arent everyone, we arent even most people.

Rainless, a COMPUTER mouse did, but a console didnt, and the computer mouse goes back a long way, it weasnt until the Wiimote that someone thought, maybe we can control console games in a different way.
Its startling obvious, we were all screaming since the PS1 that FPS's needed a keyboard and mouse, but Nintendo were the first to even try it.

JohnG
Its turned from E3 was bad to wtf happened this generation.

wtf happened this generation.

I notice three main factors that seem to be contributing to that perception...

One, steadily increasing cost and time of development continues to take its toll. Back in the NES and SNES days, there were tons and tons of cheaply made games cranked out. Even the big titles were cheaply made by today's standards. Some managed fun gameplay in some form. Games were typically pretty short, too. Large investments tend to make companies apprehensive of taking a gamble on a "new" game with no name recognition or track record, and instead we get the big franchises recycled a lot. So, we mostly get a bunch of retread big name sequels widely spaced apart. Fresh settings and ideas to explore on a regular basis (whether they are actually good or not) are somewhat lacking.

Two, there is no dominant platform yet. Competition has merit, but so does standardization. There's no single big money maker platform for developers to jump onto for safe and sizable profit. Which helps lead to no solid stream of games on a certain platform to make lots of people want to go out and buy that console - or to feel confident in the choice they do make...which feeds back to no dominant install base. More games end up being multi-platform...which takes more time and money to initially produce. The market is split too evenly this time around.

Three, we probably see things differently, now. Are these games really that bad? Were the old game lineups really that much better? Kids and young people still seem to have as much fun playing these things as some of us older people did back then. I know I'm a lot pickier and critical. At one time, I used to want to play virtually every game in existance, but just prioritized as best I could considering my limited resources. Now, I do not want to play most games and only want to play the ones I like best. It's a whole lot harder to feel like I have tons of games available to play when I only want to bother picking up the controller for 20% of them instead of 80% of them. It is not that I enjoy games less, it is more about knowing what I want.

Kebnshrio, they're just normal people, who use £500 laptops for checking their email, they think Vista is great.
WE all KNOW it sucks, but we arent everyone, we arent even most people.

Please don't turn this into a VISTA bashing thread. I for one like VISTA and have it installed rather than XP on my primary computer.

Also when is Fable II coming out? Will it be exclusive to the Xbox 360?

It seems like the so call exclusive titles are more like timed exclusive.

So far, I think only games that are published by MS and Sony themselves are guaranteed to be exclusive.

Back