• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i somehow found this - ATi 4890

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich'[ard]

FIRST LINK: (another link below with pics of 4890)
ATi 4890 vs GTX 275 - coming on April 9th.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/radeon-hd-4890-vs-geforce-gtx-275-on-apr-9th/6779.html?doc=6779

for those too lazy to read, this is the article:
Radeon HD 4890 (55nm RV790)

* HD 4890 is slated for launch on April 9th instead of 6th
* Cards have been shipped out to distributors and reviewers already
* 800 stream processors
* 1GB GDDR5 memory on 256-bit memory interface
* Clocks : 850MHz core and 975MHz memory
* Internal benchmarks claim 6% faster than RV770
* Expect to retail at USD$249

GeForce GTX 275 (55nm GT200)

* Expect to launch on April 9th as well
* No card samples yet even for AIC partners
* 240 shader processors
* 896MB GDDR3 memory on 448-bit memory interface
* Clocks : 633MHz core, 1404MHz shader and 1161MHz memory (Not final yet)
* Simulated benchmarks by partners reveals that it is slightly faster than GTX 260
* Expect to retail between US$229-$279

SECOND LINK - "RV790 exposed"

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-radeon-4890-rv790-exposed/6758.html?doc=6758

i haven't read it yet...so i'm about to. hope you guys enjoy

BTW - i don't know if this is real...i hope so though:bang head

EDIT: 4890 will come with stock core speed of 850mhz. extreme edition will come as 950mhz.
Is it just me, or do i smell the core speed breaking 1ghz with this new card :p

Yeah I won't be surprised if a 4890 exceeds 1ghz. But i think it is really just the RV770 core with a higher stock voltage allowing that high stock clock, if that's the case then there won't be much headroom for OCing. I hope i'm wrong though coz i want to see a card OCed to 1ghz+ w/o vmods :) Still, quite disappointed because it looks like they won't increase the number of SPs. All it is basically is an overclocked 4870...

The GTX275 looks more promising with 240 cores. The performance might scale better than the 4890 when overclocked, and seeing the stock clock (though not final), looks like there is some good headroom for overclocking.

I guess we'll find out which one will perform better in a few weeks time. But my bets on the gtx275 this time :)

At least nvidia figured out that $600 isnt a legitimate price point on a video card, of any magnitude.

oh good..i thought it was a faker for a moment.
i hope ATi can keep up the great cards...and i hope even more that they can be quicker to fix thiings on drivers...and better drivers in general :)
ATi FTW!

I have had no issues with drivers other than minor bugs that don't affect anything other than taste. Such as tiny white alias lines next to the water in World At War, which only took them 2 driver sets to fix. They care, a lot more than Nvidia does, about drivers. ;)

Last time I used Nvidia (the 8x series), they couldn't even fix the Vista - stopped responding and has recovered error that caused BSODs.

I have had no issues with drivers other than minor bugs that don't affect anything other than taste. Such as tiny white alias lines next to the water in World At War, which only took them 2 driver sets to fix. They care, a lot more than Nvidia does, about drivers. ;)

Hahahaha such brand loyalty... that made me laugh!!! Nobody cares buddy... thats just a formality they must go through.

Last time I used Nvidia (the 8x series), they couldn't even fix the Vista - stopped responding and has recovered error that caused BSODs.

Never ever got that error for 2 years that I had Vista with my 8800GT.

yeah. that would then tell if it's just an overclocked 4870 or not.
if it uses 9.3 drivers, does that mean us 4850/4870/4870X2 owners can use them as well?

and it seems to have the same temps as a 4870.

Hahahaha such brand loyalty... that made me laugh!!! Nobody cares buddy... thats just a formality they must go through.

Never ever got that error for 2 years that I had Vista with my 8800GT.

You are just as bad in the other direction, only you love Nvidia. Have you gone as far as I have and actually used every series personally from both brands? I have and continually go back to ATI.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=driver+stopped+responding+nvlddmkm

Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean the large majority are as lucky. Look at the first post on the official nvidia forums, over 113 pages.

ATI may necessarily have more bugs, but they tend to be minor. Nvidia has the joy of entire system crashes.

I wonder what will happen if all of a sudden intel releases a GPU 1.5x more powerful than the ati/nvidia offering and sell it 1.5x cheaper. And with near-perfect drivers. It surely will shake things up a bit :D I highly doubt it'll happen though. Or least not sometime soon. :p

You are just as bad in the other direction, only you love Nvidia. Have you gone as far as I have and actually used every series personally from both brands? I have and continually go back to ATI.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=driver+stopped+responding+nvlddmkm

Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean the large majority are as lucky. Look at the first post on the official nvidia forums, over 113 pages.

ATI may necessarily have more bugs, but they tend to be minor. Nvidia has the joy of entire system crashes.
damn straight :beer:

gian84, that would be pretty hilarious :p they'd prob then make their motherboards Intel GPU only. or something like that....something random.

Yeah, to counter the AMD/ATi. Because I don't think intel and nvidia will have a partnership any time soon :D I've read somewhere that intel is indeed developing or at least planning to develop their own gpu. And nvidia, with CUDA, can also make their cpu one day... Hmm things are going to look very interesting when DX11 comes i think... So there might be an intel, ati, and nvidia gpu fanclub, with their cpu counterpart.lol three's a crowd? no way. the more the merrier. Heck, SiS and S3 can even join the threesome for some gang-bangin.lol The forums are gonna be more lively then :)

Last edited:
Back