• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i somehow found this - ATi 4890

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Was said to be on air.

edit:
The first of these changes is that the chip has been given a tune-up to tighten the clock loops and enhance the power distribution. The second change is that the chip can now operate on two distinct power planes; one for the 3D core and one for the memory controller. This provides for greater control of the voltages and allows the chip to run closer to its optimal range. The dual power plane design also means that there is a higher potential top-end frequency and lower idle power consumption, since there is more voltage control over the different parts of the ASIC.

As a result, overclocking potential is off the charts. Reports have been flooding the net about this chip running at and in excess of 1GHz; a feat never before achieved with reference cooling solutions. Couple this with the fact that the memory can also be overclocked near 1.2GHz, and you have a very enthusiast-oriented card that should outperform even the most expensive competing products - and that’s not even the best part. According to our sources, you don’t need to go out and buy a factory-overclocked card to be able to reach 1GHz; mostly all cards based on the reference ATI design should be able to hit this milestone. Sweet.

Looks like the CCC oc in those pics go to 1200 on both the memory and gpu. That would be so sweet, 1.2 ghz gpu and 4.8ghz effective on memory.:drool:

I just may ditch my x2 for 2 or 3 of these for my i7 build. Glad I got the p6t6.

Last edited:
if they really are just overclocked 4870s, they wouldn't be able to reach 1ghz+ speeds right?
hopefully it's actually a different/modded version of the RV770 chip, or w/e the name of the chip in the 4800 is :)

Anyone remember the story of the Radeon 9800XT? Seems like a similar thing. Just the same core tweaked a wee bit for better clocks.

Not bagging on anyone, I just never get why everywhere else on the 'net nobody remembers that yes, ATi has done very subtle changes before. It doesn't always have to be a 1900XT to 1950XT or even the various Radeon 800/850 gpu flavors.
Not a die shrink, not a fundamentally new chip in any way, just one tweaked a little bit to help some clock yields.

Of course, the other long-shot possiblity is that the "tweak" has a bit more to it than anyone has let on yet. I mean basically the old Athlon TbredA and TbredB were the "same" chip too right? :p

I wonder what will happen if all of a sudden intel releases a GPU 1.5x more powerful than the ati/nvidia offering and sell it 1.5x cheaper. And with near-perfect drivers. It surely will shake things up a bit :D I highly doubt it'll happen though. Or least not sometime soon. :p

Yeah that'll NEVER happen. Intel only knows how to make "functional" graphics cards.. and BARELY FUNCTIONAL at that!

Yeah I won't be surprised if a 4890 exceeds 1ghz. But i think it is really just the RV770 core with a higher stock voltage allowing that high stock clock, if that's the case then there won't be much headroom for OCing. I hope i'm wrong though coz i want to see a card OCed to 1ghz+ w/o vmods :) Still, quite disappointed because it looks like they won't increase the number of SPs. All it is basically is an overclocked 4870...

The GTX275 looks more promising with 240 cores. The performance might scale better than the 4890 when overclocked, and seeing the stock clock (though not final), looks like there is some good headroom for overclocking.

I guess we'll find out which one will perform better in a few weeks time. But my bets on the gtx275 this time :)

Well OF COURSE it's just a rebranded 4870... that's why they aren't calling it the 5000 :)

They can't actually get any MONEY for a 4870 now (just like NVIDIA can't get any money for a 260... nobody's buying anything) so they just release the same product again with a higher clock and a different name.

They've been doing it for years now. The 9800GTX is basically just an overclocked 8800GTS.

I'm waiting for NEW NUMBERS.

A 300 series from NVIDIA and a 5000 series from ATI. I don't even want to hear any of this other garbage. I've already conceded that I missed this round of graphics cards.

hey mate, you from Australia? :p

saw it pop up on PCCG last night. sadly, i do not have $489 to burn. that site doesn't even say anything about clocks etc :shrug:

i'm thinking of picking up another 4850 though. are they going to release an updated 4850? if the 4870 updated to a 4890, doesn't that mean the 4850 should update to a 4870? :santa: hehe.

it will be almost as confusing as nVidia's 8 series cards :p jks.

Yeah. I'm not there at the moment though i'll be back there next year hopefully. I miss State of Origin already.lol

Last edited:
You are just as bad in the other direction, only you love Nvidia. Have you gone as far as I have and actually used every series personally from both brands? I have and continually go back to ATI.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=driver+stopped+responding+nvlddmkm

Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean the large majority are as lucky. Look at the first post on the official nvidia forums, over 113 pages.

ATI may necessarily have more bugs, but they tend to be minor. Nvidia has the joy of entire system crashes.

No I do not have the free time and money to waste on every series of cards from both brands, but I have owned several from Nvidia and ATI... and just like you have had better experience with ATI, I have had better experience with Nvidia. Your wording was wrong and suggested fanboism, and you completely missed the sarcasm in mine... for all you know I have changed my mind to getting a 4870 1GB card.

And I don't 'love' any brand. I just haven't had my system crash on me so many others have.

No I do not have the free time and money to waste on every series of cards from both brands, but I have owned several from Nvidia and ATI... and just like you have had better experience with ATI, I have had better experience with Nvidia. Your wording was wrong and suggested fanboism, and you completely missed the sarcasm in mine... for all you know I have changed my mind to getting a 4870 1GB card.

And I don't 'love' any brand. I just haven't had my system crash on me so many others have.
that's the way! :p
ATi till the day i die! (like my poetry skills?)
nah, i'm not ATi fanboy. i might get nVidia card down the line if ATi turns bad.

if you get an Asus 1gb card, there's a few bugs i encounted when i recently built my friends' i7 4870 system.

he installed the Asus Smart Doctor ocing program and WoW kept lagging. he has since unintsalled it, and everything works fine :)

Im not looking for a specific brand... sales are fluctuating for both brands at the moment. And Sapphire 4870 1GB is cheaper right now. I'll wait for 4890 launch and grab 4870 when the prices fall further. :)

Im not looking for a specific brand... sales are fluctuating for both brands at the moment. And Sapphire 4870 1GB is cheaper right now. I'll wait for 4890 launch and grab 4870 when the prices fall further. :)
yeah, sorry. shuodln't have assumed your prices would be the same. here in Australi though, you can get the 1GB 4870 with Asus' own cooler for $5 more than the stock 512MB 4870, and also a lot chaeper than other companies.

Asus is rather expensive here... but I particularly like their custom coolers on ATi cards... I know I loved my x1950 Pro

Now this is a nice card... but 512MB..and at the same price I can get 1GB sapphire 4870

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 479
whooao!!!! that card is SEXY. i'd buy that over an nVidia just cos of the cooler.
k maybe not..but yeh.

i've seen a different one. it's the non-R.O.G edition.

The R700 ISA (Instruction Set Architecture) document mentions in at least one point functional differences between RV770 and RV790, so I wouldn't say both are the same chip...

If you want to see what I'm talking about, download this, go to section 7.3 and look for

Burst memory reads are not supported by the RV770; however, the 710, 730, 740 and 790 do support it.

Just don't collapse when you see the 392 pages technical document :lol:

Anyway, I don't think that changes things so much. In the end, what we get is a little update of the RV770 chip with some tweaks and fixes here and there, including (but not limited to) the ability to clock much higher than the previous version so it can be made more powerful. That's what I expect from a RV770->RV790 or HD4870->HD4890 transition given the names, and that's what I expect because of everything I've already seen around this topic. Given the chip/card names, I think that what we should expect is a slightly improved RV770, and I think that's exactly what they're gonna release...

PS: A RV770 that can be clocked at ~1000MHz at stock cooling, probably well over that with better cooling, isn't so bad anyway, is it?

The R700 ISA (Instruction Set Architecture) document mentions in at least one point functional differences between RV770 and RV790, so I wouldn't say both are the same chip...

If you want to see what I'm talking about, download this, go to section 7.3 and look for

Just don't collapse when you see the 392 pages technical document :lol:

Anyway, I don't think that changes things so much. In the end, what we get is a little update of the RV770 chip with some tweaks and fixes here and there, including (but not limited to) the ability to clock much higher than the previous version so it can be made more powerful. That's what I expect from a RV770->RV790 or HD4870->HD4890 transition given the names, and that's what I expect because of everything I've already seen around this topic. Given the chip/card names, I think that what we should expect is a slightly improved RV770, and I think that's exactly what they're gonna release...

PS: A RV770 that can be clocked at ~1000MHz at stock cooling, probably well over that with better cooling, isn't so bad anyway, is it?
certainly not!
i can now brag to my friends who own nVidia cards why i go with ATi. 1000mhz core ftw!

is this the first gpu to break 1ghz core speed? because i think there was a previous post about the 8600GT reaching near 1ghz core speed.

I know some pplz have the 8600gt/s reach 1ghz before (google will reveal the forums). As for a 4830, i know pplz get to 950mhz stable. The 4870 i have yet to see someone to do 1ghz stable...

I know some pplz have the 8600gt/s reach 1ghz before (google will reveal the forums). As for a 4830, i know pplz get to 950mhz stable. The 4870 i have yet to see someone to do 1ghz stable...

And yet, the 4870 is faster in all of those cases. :screwy:

Back