• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i think i fried it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
oh - its a thermaltake orb (not sure which one), came with my athlon 1 gig. i'll probably need a bigger one huh?

Heavy

Probably not for OC'ing the Duron, but probably for OC'ing a T-Bird.

Just watch your temps and if you get to a point that the temps are getting too high, but you think the chip can do more, stop there and save up for a good HSF.

ok - thanks again Dunga Bee. i think i'm ready to put the hurt on this bad boy. I'll be in touch later to let ya know how it goes.

Heavy

Dunga Bee said:
Probably not for OC'ing the Duron, but probably for OC'ing a T-Bird.

Just watch your temps and if you get to a point that the temps are getting too high, but you think the chip can do more, stop there and save up for a good HSF.

the orb is crap
get a new heatsink

sk6 from thermal something or swiftech or cak38 from globalwin or glaciator

and depending on what rev version your a7v is you might have a chance of having a kt133a chip or a kt133 chip that can do 133fsb
rev 1.04 or higher, check that at between 3th to 4th or 4th to 5th pci slot, don't remember which one

btw my rev 1.05 board is running 135 fsb now

step 1 successful!

closed L1 bridges using a #2 pencil
disabled jumper-free mode
set fsb at 105
set multiplier at 6.5
and all seems well

Internal Clock: 682MHz
External Clock: 105MHz

gonna run 3dmark2001 then if all goes well ill start steppin the fsb up (107, 109, 111, 115....)

see ya in a few :)

Heavy

whats up sky?
its rev 1.02 and it does have a 100 or 133 option and (not sure if this matters) i'm using 2 kingston pc133 128 mb ram sticks. keep in mind tho that im still a newbie ( actually a laid off newbie with alot of time and little $$$) and i kinda gotta make it work with what i got.

Heavy

If you have the KT133 chip and not the KT133A, which I think is what you have, you may be limited to a FSB speed of around 110 or so.

That's from memory, but I recall reading some posts that the original KT133 chipset did not yeild high, stable FSB speeds.

But you can just take it as high as she'll go and stay stable then mess with the multiplier.

Dunga Bee said:
If you have the KT133 chip and not the KT133A, which I think is what you have, you may be limited to a FSB speed of around 110 or so.

this is correct

just raise to max fsb that machine with be stable at then start upping the multiplier

heres whats hapnin.

at 109 x 7 all is well - 763 mhz
at 109 x 7.5 i get a blue screen stop error when i get to the choose os screen.
at 105 x 7.5 win 2k froze on boot and 98 had the missing file thing.
at 100 x 7.5 all is well - 750 mhz

im thinkin maybe my L1 pencil marks arent good enough. Any suggestions?

Heavy

laid it on thick but still no go.
right now im runnin at 105 x 7.5 which is my best so far but i cant run a 3dmark test cuz 3dmark crashes. do ya spose maybe the pencil im using is no good or could it be a voltage thing or something else?

Heavy

900 mhz or bust!

3dmark might be crashing because your vid card might not like the higher FSB speed.

You might try to lower the FSB until you can get 3dmark to run successfully.

Then up the multiplier. You may need to up the vCore with higher multipliers to get it stable, but WATCH YOUR TEMPS. Upping the voltage can cause BIG temp increases.

hey dunga bee,
hows it goin?

now i'm at 95 x 8 which is my highest multiple so far.
3dmark ran fine but i got a pretty low score (2125 - best is 2194 at 109x7).
temperatures are runnin between 47-50.
now im gonna try goin 8.5 x 95. kinda doubt it will go tho. seems like no matter which combination i use, i cant seem to get close to 800.
oh ya - about the voltage, do i need to do somethin to the duron in order to change the voltage (like close the L7 bridge) and if not what voltage would you recommend starting at (its at default now)?

btw - i really appreciate the support :)

Heavy

Going well here. Doing some travelling for work so I don't have constant board access like when I'm at the office.

Your 3dmark score will suffer because you are slowing down the system bus to below stock (95 vs. 100) and that will slow the memory speed, etc, which will slow 3dmark scores. But you will gain MHz so the in game difference may not be noticeable.

Check your BIOS settings for a voltage adjustment. You may be able to up it in there, I'm not sure. My mobo can increase the voltage from 1.75 (stock) up to 1.85. To go higher than 1.85 you have to do the L7 mod. I think the default for a Duron is around 1.5, but whatever it is, you just want to try to bump it up in small steps.

The L7 mod makes your chips default voltage start at a higher number. On a T-Bird, closing those bridges puts you default voltage at 1.85 and then I could up it to 1.95 through my mobo.

To go higher than that, you usually have to mod your mobo.

Your temps are fine for now, although above 50 may limit your overclock. Chips hate high temps when running out of spec. That's why you may be able to run at stock speeds stable at 53C with a crappy HSF, but can't overclock it at all.

broke 800!

just managed to get a successful 3dmark test at 100 x 8 @ 1.7v. (807 mhz) score 2180.

she's gettin a little warm now - 54 degrees after the test (case wide open). thinkin im gonna need a better hsf if i wanna go much further. i'm also thinkin i should get a conductive pen to close my bridges with instead of the pencil marks.

Heavy

900 or bust!

heavy1 said:
broke 800!

just managed to get a successful 3dmark test at 100 x 8 @ 1.7v. (807 mhz) score 2180.

she's gettin a little warm now - 54 degrees after the test (case wide open). thinkin im gonna need a better hsf if i wanna go much further. i'm also thinkin i should get a conductive pen to close my bridges with instead of the pencil marks.

Heavy

900 or bust!

Definitely new HSF to go higher. Can you get any more out at 1.7v ?

Conductive pen might help also.

Nice work...you are addicted ;)

lol

ya - i spose i am addicted. been goin on it non-stop for 3 days now.
scored a new high 3dmark score (2195) at [email protected]. startin to feel the rush! goin for 102 x 8 now.
temperatures hittin 53 ish since i adjusted the voltage. not sure what the default voltage was runnin at but im gettin 1.74 now.

Heavy

900 mhz or bust!

the default voltage for a duron i think it is 1.65v

and good job on your overclock

just another thought but you know the line below where you set your fsb it should also have the same number as the line as above

if it's higher than it will limit your overclock by a lot since that line adjusts your ram speed<--i dunno how to describe this but anyways hope you understand

Back