• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I may need a new PSU for SLI...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

I've been scared away of dual GPU set-ups since a bad one night stand with a 9800GX2 a few years ago. But with the falling prices of used GTX480's (I've seen them as low as $225 :shock:), I'm tempted to try GTX480 SLI out.

Now, one of the biggest trends I've noticed, is people way over estimating PSU requirements. I currently have a 700w Thermaltake Toughpower (the 750w version of the same scored a 9 at JG), and am wondering if that will hold up for GTX480 SLI. I feel that might be pushing the limits though, if advisable at all.

If not, the next PSU I'd get would be a fully modular PSU. Have been looking at the Silverstone Strider 850w, which can be gotten for a pretty decent price, but am open to suggestions as well. But, it needs to be 100% modular, 24pin ATX cable and all.

Many people to do get bigger PSU's then they need, but this is way too low. 2 GTX 480's will consume about 500 watts alone, then you have to take in account your overclocked system on top. I'd say get the 850w as that should be enough and call it that. If you want to think about overclocking the GTX 480's you might want to get 950w. A 4ghz Core i7 860 willuse around 150 watts and you don't want the PSU to be operating at 100% load all the time.

Back