• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think IÂ’m bottlenecked with CPU and GPU, which is more beneficial for now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vibatrex

Registered
My build is listed below, but IÂ’ve been diving into heavier video and photo editing. During any big renders or exports, my RAM is always fine, but it seems my others are topping out. I know price tags are horrendous right now, but what should I look towards shopping? Suggestions would be tremendous as well!

If it's CPU heavy, you can step up to a 5000 series processor with more cores (and a lot better IPC) like the 5900x. Otherwise, if it's GPU heavy, focus the upgrade there... but as you've said, it's a terrible (read: expensive) time for the latter.

If you can find a local store that does not scalp you like me then a GPU upgrade is easy. My local microcenter has 3060ti for under $600 after tax out the door. Then sell your 5500 xt on ebay or something for $400. For about $200 you get your upgrade.

If you think of it that way its not much better or worse than upgrading to a 5900x and selling 3600

You mentioned you "think" one or both components are bottlenecks. Bring up task manager and see if cpu or gpu or both are near 100% usage. Then you will know which to upgrade.

Glad you have a great mobo, will be an easy upgrade to 5 series processor. Don't forget and update bios for 5 series.

Back