• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think is blew my GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kr7777

I was installing my kraken x62 aio on my 980ti installation went smooth but when I booted my computer it started fine but when I launched a game my display went to power saving mode ( please check video cable or adapter).
now when I disassembled my g12 bracket I saw only 30% of the cold plate was in contact with GPU die at that moment I was sure that I burned it.
now here comes the twisted part I had an old GPU gt640 I installed it to make sure that my GPU is gone or not but it did the same thing.
Now I don't know the problem, please help.
Also my onboard display out works.

I am not supper good at computers and others here might give a better advise. However, could it be that your additional part, kraken, adds to the power draw over the limit of your power supply?

I would also have you consider that maybe the Kraken x62 is not working properly.

Did you have good contact on the GT640 between the chip and the cooler cold plate or did the TIM pattern suggest the same problem?

I would also have you consider that maybe the Kraken x62 is not working properly.

Did you have good contact on the GT640 between the chip and the cooler cold plate or did the TIM pattern suggest the same problem?

I did installed it again and it had 100% contact the second time. But the problem is my GPU fails to send any video output my computer boots fine without GPU but not with GPU.
same with gt640i was working before now it's not.

I also switched the system to verify my gt640 same it goes to power saving mode (couldn't do the same for my 980ti as I don't have any friends who have decent PSU).

Have you tried a different PCIe slot? I'm wondering if you may have had a short of some kind and damaged that slot on the motherboard

Use the jumper and reset the CMOS (or you can remove the CMOS battery). Make sure the computer is unplugged from the wall before doing this.

Make sure that in bios you have IGP set to initialize as primary display unless there is PCI-e card present.

Also, make sure the monitor input is configured correctly, whether HDMI, DVI, Display Port or whatever kind of cable you are using. Most monitors will cycle through the options automatically until they find the correct one but sometimes that doesn't work right. Use the buttons to change the input manually.

Last edited:
Use the jumper and reset the CMOS (or you can remove the CMOS battery). Make sure the computer is unplugged from the wall before doing this.

Make sure that in bios you have IGP set to initialize as primary display unless there is PCI-e card present.

Also, make sure the monitor input is configured correctly, whether HDMI, DVI, Display Port or whatever kind of cable you are using. Most monitors will cycle through the options automatically until they find the correct one but sometimes that doesn't work right.

I have reset the CMOS nothing changed.
also, monitor input is configured correctly.
Let me check IGP is set to initialize as primary display. now what shoud i do

Last edited:
Have you tried a known working video card with stock cooler? As I said earlier, it could be that the AIO is not working. And have you tried either of those two video cards in another computer since trying to modify the cooling? Do you still have the stock coolers for the cards that you can slap back on to do that?

Have you tried a known working video card with stock cooler? As I said earlier, it could be that the AIO is not working. And have you tried either of those two video cards in another computer since trying to modify the cooling? Do you still have the stock coolers for the cards that you can slap back on to do that?

yes, I tried both cards with there stock coolers. AIO is working fine as I checked it on my CPU. GT640 was on my old OEM system and it worked fine before but when I installed it on my main system when my 980ti failed to display any signal same thing happened to gt640.
and yes I do have both stock coolers.

Try both cards in the OEM system to make sure they still work since this issue surfaced. At this point it looks like for some reason the motherboard is not switching between IGP and PCI-e but you need to eliminate the other possibilities. In other words, make sure all the other components (video cards) are working.

Just for clarity, when a video card is installed in the PCI-e slot, does the IGP still give a video signal? If so, it is not switching - as long as the video cards are viable, that is.

Please don't be insulted by this, but here's a basic question. You did have the power leads (6/8 pin) from the PSU connected to the cards didn't you?

Just for clarity, when a video card is installed in the PCI-e slot, does the IGP still give a video signal?
yes, but isn't it because I set primary video to IGP.
Also, power cables are connected.
I tried gt640 on oem same problem as my main rig no video output. ill check my 980ti an update soon

Whether or not the IGP and a PCI-e video card will both put out signals at the same time when a card is installed will vary from motherboard to motherboard as well as what you have the bios set to do.

If the gt640 worked before on the OEM and now does not that points to fried video card.

when i checked 980ti properties in device manager
In general tab it says; a driver (service) for this device has been disabled. (Code 32)
and in resources it says the device isn't using any resource because it has a problem.

Doesn't bode well for the video card. Do you have a multimeter to be able to check the 12v+ rail on your PSU that feeds the video card?

Doesn't bode well for the video card. Do you have a multimeter to be able to check the 12v+ rail on your PSU that feeds the video card?

sorry didn't get the first part (do u mean not good news for GPU ). no, I don't have a multimeter.

I have a s775 oem board that won't post video when my Intel SSD is hooked up to it. (just recently acquired from a thrift store.)

Start removing parts and narrow it down.
Removed HDD SSDs.
Remove case fans from the board.
Try a new PSU.

checked my 980ti on OEM pc doesn't work.
cant install any GPU on my board, my GPU looks like its gone. time for a new build I guess:-/

"Bode" = to indicate or be a sign of.

Yes, time for a new build as it seems now you are chasing your tail (an American colloquialism) trying to find out which component is frying the others. Start with all good stuff and be careful when you install the GPU water cooling cold plate to make sure it's making good contact.

Back