• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think my rx 580 is running to hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

I read around the internet that factory fan settings are tailored to high heat and low noise. I would have to agree since my stock settings were set to 85c target and 90 max. Even at these settings I was hitting 85 running some benchmarks with fans at 85% or so. I adjusted for 70 target and 90 max. During benching and gaming all night I was running fans at 99% and 74-75c.

Tonight after work I pulled heatsink and reapplied thermal paste with Arctic silver 5. Temps seem to be about 5c lower at idle and load. To me this still seems high. Running a benchmark I am now hitting 75c with fans hitting 95% after a few bench runs.

1425 and 2100 are my current settings. This is the stock OC from XFX. I really want to push this card further but don't like the idea of already hitting 75c.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

About to try undervolting now.

Welcome to AMD RX 580 overclocking. They (that arch) notoriously runs a bit hot. :)

Which specific XFX RX 580 do you have? I don't see it listed in the sig or...

ah, need to update that.

Undervolting lead to instability.

By raising temps to a threshold of 77c instead of 70 and the new paste I can now game at 66-70% fan. And that is way better than 99%.

Will try increasing the voltage to overclock, but it seems I am already having issues with fan noise. Don't see this going far.

Try to overclock RAM another night.

Back