• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want a new video card.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamita

Registered
Well simply put my old video card is outdated, I'm not seeing the performance I'd like to. When I look at my friends Comps and compare them to mine all running Farcry I want to crawl into a hole in the ground and die :bang head . I'm sick of it, and since Hl2 is coming out I don't want to be last place in the race to see who's game runs and looks better. I'm willing to spend possibly 200-300$ on my new card. Really I don't even now if, so then how much of a diff. 128 meg of ram makes compared to 256. I may have a bottleneck though, I have an AMD Athlon Xp 2000+ and a Gig of ram. I would just like to get the best card that would run Hl2 (most anticipated game of all time) as best as it can. Thanks. :)

The best card out in that range is the 6800 NU. Runs about 270-300 and performance usually runs between the 9800XT and the 6800GT. Reviews show it doing great in Doom 3. Read the Doom3 review on [H]

Ha, wow you guys are fast. That is the same card I was looking at earlier today but I thought it would be slower because it was only 128 meg.
Thanks for responding so quickly.

The 128M as you can see from the D3 benches dosnt hurt the NU all that badly. I am sure 256 would be better, but then your right at the GT. For the money its a steal. I cant complain about mine at all.

my honest opinion, youre prolly not going to have your cpu using the vidcard to its fullest. getting a 6800 nu might be great if you have a kickass system but, you have an athlonxp 2000+. my old rig was athlon xp 2400+ and i wasnt seeing the results i wanted with a 9800. i suggest getting like a midrange budget card (say a radeon 9600xt or something comparable from nvidia), saving and then getting a new system altogether that would wipe the floor with all your friend's computers. on my old rig i had a 9600 then upped to a 9800. didnt really notice the difference and if the nvidia 6800 is the "9800 killer" then you prolly wont notice that much of a difference either. just get something to get you by at regular 800x600 and then get a nice gaming rig. well thats my $.02

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it, I just bought it cant wait to see the diff. in Farcry and what Hl2 will look better.:)

Back