• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want better ram but I can't find anything thats a real upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsxrme

Registered
Short story. I have a intel i7 2600k and got really lucky because its been stable running 5.1Ghz @ 1.5v now for well over a year without any lockups or what not. Of course its water cooled. 3/4ths piped and DangerDen goodies.

Anyways, My ram is also a little over the top and they are currently discontinued Gskill 2200Mhz Cas7 DDR3 2x2GB kit

Gskill was having to many issues with people not understanding that if you want to really run them at 2200Mhz the bus needs to be set to 103Mhz

So here's my problem. The system is fast do doubt but games such as Crysis 3 and soon to be Battlefield 4 are requiring at least 8GB of ram to run smoothly, if not shuttering can and will happen under extreme settings.

So i did a AIDA64 and I'm 27394 MB/s read/Write

I really really want the Gskill F3-2133C9D-16GTX (2x8GB) kit but i think ill loose in transfer rate. Which I'm not down.

Can someone find or know of anyone with the Gskill F3-2133C9D-16GTX kit and its performance? I'm dieing here!

:comp: Tommy :comp:

How do you know what BF4 system requirements for memory are they have not been released yet.

@gsxrme, You probably won't see any difference in memory timings as new kits have usually faster sub timings what often gives more than main timings on newer platforms.
Yesterday I saw 4.5GB RAM used by system while running windows update on the pc at work so I think that at least 8GB is already good idea.

Thank you all, im just going to order the F3-2400C10D-16GTX and downclock it to 2200Mhz and reduce the timings alittle. The Gskill Tech I just spoke to said the F3-2133C9D-16GTX is slower but has more ram to offer.

I think I can squeeze cas8 or maybe cas 7 out of this ram @ 2200Mhz 1.65v

I will post my results as soon as I get it.

How do you know what BF4 system requirements for memory are they have not been released yet.

I don't really know anything but EA just released Crysis 3 and I'm sure on a requirement standpoint BF4 will be very similar.

Thank you all, im just going to order the F3-2400C10D-16GTX and downclock it to 2200Mhz and reduce the timings alittle. The Gskill Tech I just spoke to said the F3-2133C9D-16GTX is slower but has more ram to offer.

I think I can squeeze cas8 or maybe cas 7 out of this ram @ 2200Mhz 1.65v

I will post my results as soon as I get it.

Nope, you'll never EVER get cas7 with those 8gb sticks man.
2400mhz cl10 (xmp) should be fast enough for your needs.
Compare it with maxxmem preview, 2133mhz cl9 is good, 2400mhz cl9 would be ideal if achievable. (Probably not with such high density sticks)

EDIT: You got a 2600k...ok, 2200mhz cl9-10-10-28-1t with tight sub timings might be doable and good for your system.

On an IB or a Llano, on Dry Ice cooling or better, with Dry Ice on the RAM as well, you might see CAS7.
On a sustained, daily, basis? Forget it.

On SB, don't expect anything much over 2133 to function. Not a very good IMC for RAM overclocking. I'd guess 2133-9-11-11, maybe 2200-9-11-11.
2400 is very unlikely to happen on SB.

Just got the ram inn from Newegg today and did a quick timing setup and here's what I got so far.

2200Mhz 9-11-11-27 @ 1.65v

My Maximus VI extreme board does have a 1866/2133/2400 option for memory multiplier but i haven't even bothered yet. All i know is if 1.65v isn't enough well i'm not pushing more. Can't risk frying ram over voltages.

Picture is below

I will post an update in the next day or so with hopefully a 2400Mhz picture

overclock.4.24.13.png

Feel free to touch VCCIO/VCCSA, there's no reason at all not to.
I suggest staying under 1.2v and 1.07v respectively.

2200Mhz 9-11-11-27 @ 1.65v seems to be the bottleneck. I'm 49x103 and pushing to bus higher and lowering the multi makes things hella unstable. lowering the cas just one point on any of the values will cause errors

Plus side of everything is, my old ram was causing double posting issues where the new kit doesn't seem to cause any problems. Memory is slower, I was 29130 MB/s Copy and now I'm 26304 MB/s

Balls, I don't know how that happened. but my Bus was 100 when I benched the test and not 103, Let me finish this Blu-ray rip and ill bench again and post Memtweakit shot.

150Mhz on CPU and 66Mhz ram can make that difference

I've been backing up all my DVDs and Blu-rays to my media server >_> of course I'm not sharing nor abusing redbox

ya it was the bus *facepalm*

My Tweakit score is 30724.

I had to disable XMP entirely and just manually put the Frequency, voltage and primary timings inn.

Now WTF am I going to do with 16GB? rams so damn cheap it was hard to not spend the few extra for 16GB vs 8GB

Back