• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

adding a 16gb kit to Ryzen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hello all, sig is in the rig.

After seeing the various videos on Youtube all claiming that indeed having 4 sticks of ram may actually improve, rather than hamper, performance, I really want to just add 2x16GB of ram.

It's easy to get an identical ram as the Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 is the most popular ram out there. I do need the 16GB extra but initially I was convinced that even my new X570 and 3600x may not want to play nice, so I was just going to bite the bullet and get 2x16GB 3600MHz kit and call it a day, maybe selling the old kit.

But now I'm actually excited about the prospect of having 4x8GB.

So, any problems with this? I know it's preferable to get a kit, but why would two 2x8gb kits not work together at an advertised speed? I don't need them overclocked, but I do want the whole thing to work with XMP, CL16 3200MHz to be specific.

Oh, and a second question, the 3600MHz CL18 kits are actually cheaper, can I assume that any Corsair LPX 3600MHz CL18 kit will automatically work at 3200MHz CL16 or is something else going on and it's not that simple?

and get 2x16GB 3600MHz kit and call it a day, maybe selling the old kit.
there you go.

You can go dual rank sticms amd get the same minor performance bump with 2x16gb in dual rank.

As far as the lower cl kit...likely, but it isn't a given.

Back