• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I was dumb enough to install mouse software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DiamondEddie

I bought new mouse - redragon pegasus. Its pointer presicion felt really off. So i thought "i should try to install software that comes with this mouse, maybe it will help". Even though i knew its not going to end well. But i said to myself "Whats the worst that can happen, right?". Now i know. It didnt help for the new mouse, but now my old mouse isnt as good as it was too. And its really damn hard to aim cursor now.
Uninstalling software obviously didnt help, changing settings in this software didnt help too.
Attaching screenshot of software's ui. Maybe it can help to figure out what did it break.
Also my OS is Windows 7.

23465543.jpg

Last edited:
In effect there are only 3 settings you need to fiddle with, and find how you use to have it.

Software settings, in Windows as well as that software by the look of it, alter the sensitivity and "enhance pointer precision". Sensitivity is like an amplifier of mouse motion to pointer motion. Higher = faster. The "enhance pointer precision" effect is a love-hate personal thing. With it off, the pointer behaviour is linear. The mouse moves some distance, the pointer moves some distance. They two are related only by distance. When it is on, you get acceleration effects. Move the mouse slowly a fixed distance, the pointer moves a small amount. Move the mouse quickly over the same distance, the point will fly away. I can't stand it, but it is default enabled on Windows, Mac and most Linux too.

As a third wheel, is the hardware DPI. This can be seen as a hardware version of software sensitivity setting. For best precision, I think you want a high hardware setting and a lower software one, but I never really played around with this much.

I recently thought my mouse was going bad, shaky cursor movement when traveling in a straight line. It was caused by dust on the mousepad. Rubbing down the mousepad with a moist cloth fixed the problem.

System Restore is the biggest pos in windows and should never be recommended for this here very reason (I keep it completely disabled right after I install the OS). I would try uninstalling mouse in device manager and rebooting, but, removing all traces of the software in registry and rebooting is also a good idea and then rebooting. A pc without a proper backup and rescue disc is a system reinstall just waiting to happen. Not recommended for mouse troubles. Did you try switching usb ports by the by? Kinda ridiculous to buy some fancy mouse and then have issues actually using it. I do not game (It's a little like tunnel vision which I don't care for) and use a $7 mouse made by Adesso. MS has a few device driver updates I have had issues with as well. One was a mouse driver update that foobar'd itself a few years back. I used my backup image if I recall. Updates now may help however. On 7 though it's a tossup.

I'd uninstall the 3rd party mouse software first - I've even had MS' own Intellimouse software playing havoc in the past. Stay with the Windows default drivers to begin with - but don't allow MS/Windows Update to install hardware drivers, they're another source of confusion/frustration.

It might be that the 3rd party drivers rely on you already having *something like* the IE11 'Platform Update' (aka Devil's Update or similar, don't recall the exact KB#) installed - which, in it's early days was a nightmare for some - if that was buggy, only a clean install would cure it, after that, a fresh install of the Platform Update/IE11 was fine.

System Restore is the biggest pos in windows and should never be recommended for this here very reason
for what here very reason. Nothing borked...it just didnt work. Without knowing, one cant blame restore. For many users, its a savior. Dont hate. :p

If all you use is system restore then you may as well jump off a cliff for all the good it does. It either works or it doesn't and for a billion dollar company to have people rely on something that most of the time fixes nothing is absurd. Don't confuse hate with common sense. Now if all these oem pc's came with windows backup already configured and working, whether it be a parted drive or multiple drives, that would work. To 'go back to a time before "x" was installed' and it fails to fix the problem is a joke. It's like buying something that says it will do x and when you need it to do x it fails lmao.

I agree. System restore should not be relied upon as the sole source for recovering your system (nobody said, inferred, or alluded otherwise). If you want to stay within the windows ecosystem, use the windows backup feature and create system images (different than restore, note...). Its limited too, but is a true backup.

Why restore didnt work for the OP, no idea. But I know it has saved my butt and many others at times. It is not a catch all. That is what real backups are for...but it serves a purpose and doesnt deserve the level of vitriol you seem to have for it. IMO it is always worth a try in situations like this. Ive probably used it over 100 times and not once did it bork the system or do anything but take time. It didnt always accomplish what i wanted, but never did it hurt to try. ;)

Dont confuse common sense with drinking the haterade. :p

Last edited:
Dumb idea that may work, plug the mouse into a different usb port.

If that doesn't work try removing the mouse from device manger and try running USB oblivion.

Some of these periphial driver softwares are more of a bug than a driver, I've tried them too with similar results and had to hose the OS to get it back working again in more than one instance - Never did that again since, if it's working I now leave well enough alone.

Well, tried some other stuff, nothing helped. Guess its time to reinstall windows.
That chinese soft couldnt possibly broke mouse or usb ports, right?

Windows Restore can save your bacon sometimes, particularly when you can't boot into Windows but do have a rescue disk available. But it has often failed me as well. Many Cyber infections will delete the restore points so you can't resort to them.

Windows Restore can save your bacon sometimes, particularly when you can't boot into Windows but do have a rescue disk available. But it has often failed me as well. Many Cyber infections will delete the restore points so you can't resort to them.

And will sometimes root themselves in restore files so the restoration just reinstalls the malware.
OP, have you run sfc /scannow in Safe Mode?

Back