• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"mouse jiggler" software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

Morning all.

Now that I'm working remotely from home I need to keep my work pc from disconnecting from my home computer. As long as there is activity it won't disconnect so I am looking for options on how to do this if I step away. With everyone logging in it has become an issue at times. Anyways, I read about some software called a "mouse jiggler" which moves the mouse every once and a while or one called "Caffeine" that presses the F15(?) key every now and then. The websites for some of these look pretty sketchy or are outright blocked by my antivirus so I was hoping some people here have experience with one and can point me in the right direction. Better yet, is there a native way in Windows to do this? Thanks for the help.

Caffeine (or caffeinate) is a command built into macosx to keep it from sleeping.

I saw one clever contraption of putting a mouse on the end of a stick attached to an oscillating fan. That said, how fast does it go to sleep after inactivity? I believe we have a 15 minute timer before it requires signing back on after hitting screensaver

Not sure but it seems longer than 15 minutes. After the initial login chaos from the first day of the office remoting in slows down I'm going to test it out.

Morning all.

Now that I'm working remotely from home I need to keep my work pc from disconnecting from my home computer. As long as there is activity it won't disconnect so I am looking for options on how to do this if I step away. With everyone logging in it has become an issue at times. Anyways, I read about some software called a "mouse jiggler" which moves the mouse every once and a while or one called "Caffeine" that presses the F15(?) key every now and then. The websites for some of these look pretty sketchy or are outright blocked by my antivirus so I was hoping some people here have experience with one and can point me in the right direction. Better yet, is there a native way in Windows to do this? Thanks for the help.

Do you mean logging into the computer at work or the one at home?

Why not just disable sleep through the Windows Power settings?

I'm logging into my work pc and can't change settings there. If it doesn't show activity through the remote connection, like a mouse move it will disconnect the remote session. I'm hoping to find a workaround for that so I don't have to login multiple times a day if I walk away from the pc.

Okay, so you're wanting to create constant mouse activity from your end at home. Sorry, misunderstood.

hahahhah thats great thanks for the laugh. my manager just hounds us on ms teams when he thinks were not working hard enough or active

If you really want to get your manager's goat then remote in and start playing solitaire.

i have recently installed the MouseJiggler application for the same reason where i wanted to stop disconnecting my PC screen.

However, will it be a an additional burden for the PC as it also consumes the PC performance in background?

Last edited by a moderator:
i have recently installed the MouseJiggler application for the same reason where i wanted to stop disconnecting my PC screen.

However, will it be a an additional burden for the PC as it also consumes the PC performance in background?
Sure it uses CPU cycles, but I can't imagine it is much at all. You'll likely not notice it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back