• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i wonder how many people got ripped off.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twump

i started up steam last night and got a popup to preorder cs:cz.

it got me thinking. this game was supposed to be out like 2 years ago. and you've been able to preorder it for well over a year. the game obviously isn't coming out, or if it does it will be so ridiculously outdated it won't be worth playing. i wonder how many people actually fell for it and preordered the game thats probably never going to come out. i'm suprised noone has filed a lawsuit since valve is essentially selling a non-existant game.

isn't valve breaking a couple laws by accepting money for a game that is at least 2 years past due with absolutely no proof that the game has even been worked on since the first screens came out. the game isn't hi-tech, it isn't incorperating anything new, its not runing any new engine. its supposed to be single player cs and thats it. how long does it take to make a couple maps, some skins and some sounds? i've seen sparetimers prgram games faster. so as far as i can tell the game is a hoax and valve is milking it while they can.

any opinions?

I take it you did absolutely no research before posting, also that is nothing compared to the people that preordered TF2 back in 1998.

Agent_Mull said:
And also when you preorder, im pretty sure the retailer takes the money, not valve or the manufacturer.

Yep. Also the retailer usually doesn't charge until they ship the game.

Edit: Then again you are talking about Steam, which kills the retailer, no? Therefore... I have no idea.

Well, I know Valve lost A LOT of customers, such as myself for such a long wait. I would've bought CS:CZ when I was in my CS craze all last year and the year before, but now I've calmed down, and haven't played in soo long and seeing how theres nothing really new, I won't get it. And seeing how all these very good games are coming out this year which are all supposedly "groundbreaking" I see no reason why I should buy a game that's pretty much 5 years old.

I personally don't preorder anything, its not like there aren't a bazillion copies being made. It won't be hard to walk into Target or EB games and pick up a copy at retail price. Even fancy little pewter figures and "exclusive content" doesn't thrill me...I dunno, pre-ordering just never made sense to me.

My friend pre-orders EVERYTHING he buys...me? I walk in with him, he gets his pre-order, I get one off the shelf. Never had a problem.

The Beta version of it was leaked MONTHS ago, I played it. Then a newer multiplayer beta was leaked maybe 2 months ago, with new multiplayer maps 'n skins. It will come out, just very delayed.

i've never played cs, never really wanted to, but the whole concept kinda makes me wonder anyways.

people play cs because its a tight multiplayer experience, right? one of the best multiplayer games ever, or so i've heard.

if someone wanted to play single player counter strike, couldn't they just play half life? (hey jeff, we want the whole terrorist/anti-terrorist thing) well, why not fire up one of the million different rainbow six games, or even just play one of the million other better fps games that are out?

maximum pc has a review of the game in their new issue, and it pretty much sums it up as far as i can see: marring the name of one of their favorite multiplayer games forever by mediocrity on an already aged engine.

sorry if i offend anyone with this, but it just seems like there is so much better out there, and if anyone buys it, it will just be because its counter strike, and for no reason other than that.

jeff

gravitywell said:
I personally don't preorder anything, its not like there aren't a bazillion copies being made. It won't be hard to walk into Target or EB games and pick up a copy at retail price. Even fancy little pewter figures and "exclusive content" doesn't thrill me...I dunno, pre-ordering just never made sense to me.

My friend pre-orders EVERYTHING he buys...me? I walk in with him, he gets his pre-order, I get one off the shelf. Never had a problem.

Yeah, I've never preordered anything either. Anything I ever wanted there was always a copy available when I went to buy it. And if that store didn't have a copy for some reason...I'd just buy it off some internet company for maybe a couple bucks more or less. EB or gamestop or whatever isn't going to NOT have any copies out when I want to buy it. Unless they're stupid and LIKE losing business to an online retailer.

I think CS is finally starting to die off. CS:CZ might be the final nail in the casket. It'll be when people realize: Hey, CS:CZ is just CS w/ the Realism mod.

It'll be nice to see it pass, so newer, better games can take it's place.

Oni said:
I think CS is finally starting to die off. CS:CZ might be the final nail in the casket. It'll be when people realize: Hey, CS:CZ is just CS w/ the Realism mod.

It'll be nice to see it pass, so newer, better games can take it's place.

CS is far from dying. No game has more servers than CS. Lots of people only play on LAN which the servers don't show up on the internet.

Sure we'd like to have newer games based on the newer graphic engines, but valve needs fund to make the new ones. Valve made too little profit compare to others. All we need is a copy of the original Half-Life or a copy of retail CS from 5~6 years ago, the CD key from it will let us play all the MODs which can be downloaded for free. It's like buying one game to play all the rest games from the same company. They could sell every of them seperatly for more profit. Look at other companies sell a whole bunch of "new" games which aren't that much different at all.

Back