• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500k Overclock - How Am I Doing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DoombotBL

Registered
My Specs:
i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz + CoolerMaster Hyper 212 1st gen
ASUS P8Z77-V BIOS v1908
Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600
Sapphire NITRO R9 Fury
ASUS Xonar DGX Sound Card
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
Crucual MX100 250GB SSD (OS)
2x 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM HDD no RAID
DVD-RW Optical Drive
Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Update
HAF 922 Case 1x 200mm Front Intake, 1x 200mm side intake, 1x 200mm top exhaust, 1x 120mm rear exhaust.

MG248Q 1080p Freesync Display 144hz
Logitech G710+ KB
Logitech G502 Mouse
XBOX 360 Controller for Windows

---------------------------------------

44p5JDF.jpg.png

This is what it looks like after 3 hours in Prime95 Blend. My Hyper 212 can keep it from going over 80C so far but I wish it would get cooler. My ambient temps is 80F (26.6C). What do you guys think, is it looking good? Should I start working on turning the vcore down .01 and testing? What other CPU cooler do you think I should start looking at? I was interested in the Cryorig H5/H7 or ID Cooling 240L. I'll need a better cooling solution for next build anyway.
I could also try to re-orient the top 200mm case fan as intake, I've heard that top exhaust sometimes messes with airflow of CPU fan.

Seems fine to me... if anything, it's too much vcore, yeah.

Temps are fine... I dont see a need for another cooler, nor changing the airflow I side of the case.

The object with any overclock is to be stable at the least amount of voltage required for a given clockspeed. If you haven't done that yet, it is what you want to be doing.

Thanks for the advice. I'll get to dropping the vcore now.
What about overclocking my RAM? I was planning on trying for 2133 at 11-13-13-32 1.65v

EDIT: Just wondering, how long should I run Prime95 before dropping vcore another .01?

Last edited:
Start bigger... 4.5ghz should be doable at 1.25V or so. Start there. If that doesn't work, try 1.3V.. then 1.325, etc.

I run small fft for maybe 10 mins, the lower/raise by .025. If you run with .1V you will be doing this forever, lol!

Start bigger... 4.5ghz should be doable at 1.25V or so. Start there. If that doesn't work, try 1.3V.. then 1.325, etc.

I run small fft for maybe 10 mins, the lower/raise by .025. If you run with .1V you will be doing this forever, lol!

Alright I'll try 1.30 next, I'm a bit cautious and want to avoid popping the CMOS battery if 1.25 is too low for this chip. Probably a noob concern

Popping the CMOS battery? Not entirely sure what that means, but from the sounds of it...that isn't possible. :)

Popping the CMOS battery? Not entirely sure what that means, but from the sounds of it...that isn't possible. :)

I mean having to reset the CMOS I guess

Either way 1.30 crashed Windows after a few minutes in blend Prime95. So unlucky me I guess, gonna try to bump it up.

EDIT: Error was called "WHEA Uncorrectable Error"

Interesting way of putting it, LOL!

That board doesn't have a CMOS reset button on it or a jumper?

Interesting way of putting it, LOL!

That board doesn't have a CMOS reset button on it or a jumper?

Probably does! It's just that the battery is another way to do it, the old way. I'm so glad modern boards have these things in button form now.

EDIT: Alright now Win10 is BSODing the WHEA Unccorectable Error at 1.3, 1.31, and 1.32v within a few minutes of running Prime95 Blend. Trying 1.33v now.

Last edited:
Blend? Are we testing memory too or just the CPU? I would stick with Small FFT for the CPU.

What speed and timings is your memory currently at? Please post up pictures (hosted here at the site) of CPUz first tab, Memory, and SPD tab please. :)

Blend? Are we testing memory too or just the CPU? I would stick with Small FFT for the CPU.

What speed and timings is your memory currently at? Please post up pictures (hosted here at the site) of CPUz first tab, Memory, and SPD tab please. :)

I kept memory timings and voltages stock for now. I did not turn of speedstepping and C states though. I chose blend because the guide said so, I'll try Small FFT then.

CPUZ1.jpg CPUZ2.jpg CPUZ3.jpg CPUZ4.jpg

Also, just an FYI, there is BIOS 2104 out there which is a few months newer that 'improves system stability'. You may want to consider starting over at stock and flashing to the new BIOS, then give it a whirl again.

Yeah there is, I've always been afraid of bricking a MOBO with a BIOS update. With my luck that's what will happen.

How did it work out, have you achieved lower Vcore?

Stayed at 1.33v stable. Not sure if turning C states and Speedstepping off would allow lower vcore. But it's fine where it is I guess. Not going over 65C in CPU intensive gaming.

Turing of C states and Speeds stepping wont help with vcore because at load the CPU has to use the same amount of volts to work without fail. My vcore is the same 1.33v 4.5GHz in windows CPU-Z utility under Prime 95 load. I have had my hyper 212 for 5 years it is a great cooler keeps my CPU max temperture at 84c.

Turing of C states and Speeds stepping wont help with vcore because at load the CPU has to use the same amount of volts to work without fail. My vcore is the same 1.33v 4.5GHz in windows CPU-Z utility under Prime 95 load. I have had my hyper 212 for 5 years it is a great cooler keeps my CPU max temperture at 84c.

Oh good to hear, I guess I did alright with my max temp being what it is. Prime getting only around 80C and all. I sort of want a more aesthetic build next time so my cooler can wait to be changed then. Lol

I will probably keep my Hyper 212 till the socket changes, I just like the ease of Processor installation and uninstall when you lay the case down to change the Processor. I also like the auto CPU temp PWM fan so when I play games the temperature is the same as yours 65c with quiet fan speed, then when I listen to music the CPU fan idles. Most CPU heatsink kits come with case fan speed 3pin, it is not automatic to the CPU temperature however it can work off motherboard (UEFI) or a fan controller, I don't like mess with all that and have a fixed fan speed.

Many boards have voltage control by temperature as well. PWM is making its way into into boards in the last few gens.

Back