• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500k Overclock - How Am I Doing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, by CPU temp on CPU header. Many boards have this.

My ASUS in fact I can base any sensor of several sensors off a single header. That is pretty unique I think but, not controlling a fan by CPU temp from the motherboard header. :)

I was talking about a 4 pin PWM fan that a lot of the heatsink fan kits don't have. I know boards come with a 4 pin CPU headers I'm using it with my hyper 212.:)

Just saying 3 pin fan works with system temperature header.

Not sure you are getting it...let me try again.

*3-pin or 4-pin headers on motherboards can use CPU temperatures to control their speed (typically on the CPU header). This is not true on ALL boards, but many have that ability to use CPU temp on the CPU header to be controlled either by 3 pin (voltage) or 4 pin (PWM).

Some may only be PWM or only voltage, others both (Today we are seeing a lot of both on the boards ). It simply depends on the the board and BIOS as to how a fan header can control fan speeds (voltage/pwm). Typically the CPU sensor works off of CPU temps. Again, it will vary wildly by board. In fact, my ASUS board has the ability to control fan speed with 3 or 4 pin AND the ability to select which sensor to monitor to 'control' it (includes CPU, board, VRM, etc) on each headers. This setup is not common however.

If you use 3 pin fan instead of a 4 pin (PWM) fan on the CPU header, the 3 pin fan will running at a fixed rate of speed on that header.:)

ATX standard

CPU_FAN:
Pin No. Definition
1 GND
2 +12V
3 Sense
4 Speed Control

SYS_FAN1/2/3:
Pin No. Definition
1 GND
2 Speed Control
3 Sense
4 VCC

A picture is worth a thousand words. :)

160913205817.jpg

Here is the other one (shows DC/PWM and I can change sensors):
160912215124-1.jpg 160912215129-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.:) My motherboard does not support CPU 3 pin DC mode fan control, I was looking at Gigabyte motherboards ATX Z-170s and I found only 3 supported that option, It is a nice option when you need it.

Back