• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 3570k O/C prime95 crash but system does not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StoneRyno

I'm playing around with O/C my CPU now that I have a lot better understanding of things compared to years ago when I first built this PC. I've run into prime95 crashing after a minute or two of the blend option. Does this mean that I need to up vcore a tiny bit more? Or could it be that having both O/C CPU and tighter timings on the RAM is the problem and I should just stick to O/C the CPU. For reference the RAM without O/C CPU is stable at 2400 9-10-12-14 1T at 1.75v over the stock 2400 10-12-12-31 1T at 1.65v. Thanks.

You should stick to changing one variable at a time. Otherwise, you are left to guess what is causing the crashes. Get the overclock of the CPU stable before you mess with the RAM.

Blend failing is typically a RAM issue. You would want to adjust system agent voltage at this point.

When your just testing the processor overclock with prime95 and leaving memory stock, increase the core voltage when prime95 fails.

As the consensus was on memory being the issue I restored it to stock timings and the prime95 ran fine and completed testing without errors for the over an hour testing I have been doing to find the ceiling. The settings so far are:

100x39 3.9ghz
vcore: 1.025v (LLC set to 1 out of 5)
VTT: 1.104v (auto sets it to 1.141v)
PCH: 1.059v (set on auto)
PLL: 1.832v (set on auto)
VCCSA: 1.016v (auto sets it to 0.925v)

VTT going up is 0.09v increments up to a max setting option of 1.634v
VCCSA has two higher options 1.107v and 1.20v

I've not been able to find much info on VTT and VCCSA so I have been conservative with increasing them and actually didn't realize until now that I decreased VTT from what auto sets it at. So If 1.141v is stock voltage for that then I'm safe going up with it but I'm not sure about VCCSA as I get conflicting information from research with not linking to sources on what the manufacturer specs are for it. And given there are only 3 options to choose from I'm assuming without more info that the normal range this voltage runs at is small. After posting this I'm going to keep the RAM at stock and continue testing to see how far I can go on the CPU. I'll check back for any advice ya'll have given the info I've provided or if you need more details let me know as well.

I've updated my signature with the current settings. Though unless there is another way to test stability I can't be certain how much higher I can go. Mind you I wanted to see what was possible on the stock cooler. So at these settings stress testing is hitting just over 90C while under gaming load is running at just over 60C peak. Any more thoughts at this point? Thanks.

Just wanted to add this but I’ve been running my 3570k at 4.5ghz for almost 4 years straight with just a basic water cooling setup.

Back