• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/C G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StoneRyno

I thought I'd play around with the timings this time around. Quite a long time ago with this PC I played around with the CPU and the DRAM frequency and settled back to using stock speeds on both for the duration I've had this PC. For some reason this RAM would never go above the 2400 unless there was something I missed aside from upping the RAM voltage. The settings caps out at 1.8v for RAM. Anyway my results so far for timings: 9-10-12-30 1T (2400) at 1.75v. stock timings are 10-12-12-31 1T at 1.65v. If I change to 8-10-12-31 1T memtest86+ will generate errors beginning at test #8. If I change to 9-9-12-31 1T or 9-10-11-31 1T memtest86+ generates errors within the first few tests. I haven't tried changing the 4th timing number yet and the dozen more settings in DRAM timings section of the settings. I pretty much just use this PC for gaming. And performance wise without O/C anything seems fine so with tweaking stuff I don't know if I can expect any change in the gaming experience. If whatever can be achieved does have an impact on the gaming experience then I'll keep the settings. I know on my previous PC the CPU was significantly different and had an impact on gaming and I don't remember messing with the RAM because it wasn't like this RAM with passive cooling. Thoughts?

To be honest unless you're benchmarking messing with your RAM isn't going to make any difference in gaming. If you really want to make some kind of impact overclock the CPU. You should be able to get 4.2 - 4.5 GHz fairly easily it depends on your cooling but going from a 3.4 base clock you will see a difference

I finished finding how tight i could get the timings with the RAM set at 1.75v the results are 9-10-12-14 1T I was shocked at that last one since the stock timing at 1.65v is 31. Anyway So I began to mess with the CPU while keeping these timings. But if I change BLCK to 102 the RAM generates a lot of errors fast. Which leaves me with a couple options skip the BLCK since if I recall correctly the best I can hope for on that is 105 or 106 or leave the BLCK alone and simply up the multiplier to get as high as possible on the CPU. My thinking if I up the BLCK and drop the RAM back to stock or worse to up the BLCK the tradeoff would mean no actual gains. I could attempt to see what timings I could achieve with 1.8v on the RAM but with research I did in getting some real world results if I were able to get like 8-x-x-x 1T vs the stock timings this would only be about 3% performance gain at best and would only be of any small significance in like one or two games that I have yet to play anyway. I never really went the full distance to find out what the CPU was capable of as I was discouraged upon hearing the whole BLCK thing back years ago when I last messed with the CPU. So now that I have the itch to mess around again I might as well go beyond my cursory messing about from before.

Back