• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 3570K stock HSF "stutter" starts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterShakeJD

I am using the stock hsf with the ASRock Z77 Pro3 board. The fan struggles to spin up after pressing the power button; it does like two intermittent quarter turns, then runs very fast before slowing down to a steady speed. The computer does seem ok though as I installed Windows alright.

However, when plugging the fan into a 3 pin header (instead of the CPU 4 pin header) the fan still acts the same way. I tried a stock intel fan from an old Core2Duo and it starts immediately when connected to either the 3 or 4 pin headers once the power is switched on.

After reasearching online I thought the first stock hsf was bad so I returned the processor. However, the new one acts the same way. Any ideas? Did I get two bad fans? I'd like to just use the stock one instead of buying another one but am not sure this is normal behavior.

Oh, I know the old Core2Duo fan could be used instead but I need that for another system.

Last edited:
Could be a fan detection setting, some boards have different fan detection options, did you check your BIOS?

Yes, but it didn't act any differently. I actually tried the fan on a different older motherboard (only 3 pins) and had the same issue. So, it is the fan itself. Can't understand the luck of getting two bad ones but it looks like I did.

Could be something built into the fan, it doesn't cause any problems, so why worry?

Yeah, I know it would probably be just fine but I rather have it working 100% normally as it is a system for somebody else. I'll probably just use a different HSF instead if for no other reason than piece of mind.

never use the stock heatsink with those cpus anyway. The one that Intel sells with its cpus is not even good for stock clock @ full load. I do not think that the Intel heatsink you got have any defect. Those act like that by design, I strongly believe. Do not compare two very different design in cpu coolers, even from intel. They might not work the same. Everyone of them is "calibrated" (that's a big word actually) to work with the CPU it came with. Usually for normal computing you would have no issues. But for anything more than browsing, e-mail checking, or word processing, you should definetely get a better aftermarket HSF kit.

Any good aftermarket air cooling solution, depending on the use and on space inside the case, will do a better job.

a good heatsink doesn't have to be pricey. Anything between 60-80$ will do a great job. But the guys here on overclockers.com forum might give more info on what to buy according to your pc case and actual build.

Last edited:
Back