• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5-760 @ 4GHz or FX-8320 @ 4GHz (which one to keep?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
that game probably only uses two threads which intel spanks amd in single thread performance, amd catches up in multi threaded stuff (eg 5+ threads, or in the i3's case 3+).

p.s. im an intel fanboy :)

AES calculations are another thing newer CPUs are good at vs the old ones. I was looking at some aida64 results and it made me want a new computer lol

Just to be clear, I am personally neither a Intel or AMD fan boy. I like whatever is the best, which is what I am trying to work out.

The difference between the i3-3220 stock clock speed and FX-8350 @ 4.5GHz is huge, very sad about the AMD cannot take it out, very much a shame.

If it was like comparing the FX-8320 to Core 2 Duo E6650, there would be no question what is better. Although with these two processors after swapping them around a couple of times each, it is really hard to tell the difference.

I think people under estimate how good the i5-760 is, which overclocks like crazy with little effort, even if a little old, but still very good even by todays standards.
On the other hand the FX-8320 is newer, but seems to have some very poor and obscure benchmarks, which are generally reviewed inconsistent, therefore very hard to tell its true value. The FX-8320 in my case is a bad over clocker, I can sense binning here by AMD if I am not wrong.

Basically I have come to my own conclusion that they are about the same, although I feel the i5-760 clock for clock is stronger than the FX-8320. I am thinking that why I am seeing bad minimum frame rates are due to the FX-8320 not being able to cope.

Still I do not have the answer if the AMD 970 motherboard I have is slowing down my crossfire cards down (or making them choppy) being out of sync with 16x/4x where as the Intel P55 is in sync with true electrically wired x8/x8 slots. Which is better, just maybe the best to run crossfire?

I really find it interesting you put a i5 2400 CPU in a EVO board you said the i5 760 chip was in, Since they are different chipsets! with completely different sockets!, Anyway I have a i5 750 quad exactly identical to the 760 except it's stock speed is set at 2.67ghz and the 760's stock is 2.8ghz, However Both chips overclock exactly the same, And with mine overclocked to 4.0ghz with a R9 270 I am getting the results close to the sandy and ivy CPU's And 8 core AMD CPU's, I thought very hard about getting a 8 core 8320 with a MSI 990FXA-GD65 I like the price $289 for both the CPU and Board, But From what I learned, I will see absolutely no increase in gaming performance. The AMD 8 core in benchmarks actually performs just slightly better in some games and falls behind in others, And the older i5 750 was not too far behind the newer i5 3570 in gaming performance, So if all you do is game a overclocked lynnfield i5 750 or 760 is more than enough, However you can't game very well if you leave it at stock 2.67ghz or the extreme ram profile speed of 3.21ghz, She has to be raised to at'least 3.8ghz, 4.0ghz does not hurt, But it is not necessary.

Also

I am forgetting this, I am sure the 8 core AMD CPU's will eventually jump ahead in gaming once game developers start coding new games for the AMD 8core Xbox one and AMD 8core PS4, Since those consoles will be pushed on people and you know they will, It may take another year or so but it will happen. So I am eventually going to get a FX-8320, I am only 120 dollars shy of getting it. I still feel stupid knowing I will see no gaming increase. But I will have a newer up to date architecture , And I am positive once most games are coded for 8 core CPU's It will walk the dog.

I am forgetting this, I am sure the 8 core AMD CPU's will eventually jump ahead in gaming once game developers start coding new games for the AMD 8core Xbox one and AMD 8core PS4, Since those consoles will be pushed on people and you know they will, It may take another year or so but it will happen. So I am eventually going to get a FX-8320, I am only 120 dollars shy of getting it. I still feel stupid knowing I will see no gaming increase. But I will have a newer up to date architecture , And I am positive once most games are coded for 8 core CPU's It will walk the dog.

Lol don't get your hopes up :thup:

AMD is way behind the curve, my crusty 4 year old cpu still destroys anything AMD.. And you should know, its not really 8 cores.. its just marketing. It can handle 8 threads.. Just like my cpu is only 6 cores, but can handle 12 threads.

Anyways! Do whatever makes you feel warm and cozy :)

It just seems weird having this CPU for so many years (since late 2009) and not needing a upgrade, I guess I am just afraid if I don't get something new while I can afford it, I may miss out.

I wouldn't think there is much of a difference. Outside of benchmarks, I don't see much of a difference between stock and over clocks. 800mhz 6-6-6, 900mhz 7-7-7, 1000mhz 8-7-8, 1066 9-9-9, 1T 2T, it pretty much all feels the same..

That is because it more or less is. Raised timings take away from speeds.

this is a bit old and could use some updating.
Ram speed vs Ram timings

back in the day people thought i was crazy for sticking with DDR2-800@cas4 vs going higher. since there was no benefit of doing so in my eyes, i stuck with the DDR2-800. As DDR2-1066@cas5 was costing more then the ram i bought, even when it was the best out there. its cause and effect, to go higher speeds we need higher latencies. in turn over all latency for data going back and forth is the same.

just noticed, i overlooked the edit that FCG did. he has the table up to DDR3-2000 speeds, will still give people a good idea of how much they over pay for high speed ram with loose timings vs slightly slower speed with tighter timings.

my personal experience, i sold my 2x2gig ripjaw kit i bought DDR3-1600 [email protected] and went to 2x4gig kit sammy DDR3-1600 [email protected]/1.5v. the 4gig kit i paid nearly double the price for it back when i got my i7 rig. i noticed the sammy ram after some rumblings about ddr3 30nm ic's from them. even at 1.5v at the same timings some people where able to get the ram at ddr3-2000 from what i recall. they may in fact have used 1.65v instead on their i's. needless to say i bought two kits when i found them cheaper at the local frys even with tax vs newegg.com. currently just using one sammy 2x4gig kit, for gaming in Tribes:ascend@1900x1200 fps is the same, load times is the same. with the advent of IMC's on the cpu and people now using SSD's. you will find it very hard(you probably wont notice any difference at all) to feel/see any difference in ram speed for gaming.

also take into account that in the case of intel. pcie lanes are on the cpu so sending any data stored in the ram, any latency is nill. this isnt the day of data request to the cpu then through the chipset then finally to the pcie buss. i cant seem to find it atm but i dont recall if 2nd gen+ i's have sata on the cpu as well. this is another thing that will lower latency when data has to go from hd to either ram or to gpu. today there are so many things that seem to get missed in the overall performance of a system. now if you choked your rig even with the tightest possible timings on DDR3-1333 then you would be effecting your performance, DDR3-1600 is wheres the balance lies, anything over that and your just wasting money.

You have to understand what your looking at though when you bring up benches.

when they test a CPU with some of these benches your seeing total compute power aka all 8 cores vs the compared 2500k @ 4 cores ...

Now thats where some things may get scued here because it depends on what your doing with the pc. if its for compute only then the 8320FX will shine with 8 cores vs 3570k or 2500k..

I have a hard time believing it competes at all with a 3770k so i assume you miss typed that considering the 3770k has 4 cores 4 hyperthreads = 8 cores also and has far more efficiency/performance per core.

That said the 8320FX should do fine for anything compute related or games that use all cores "rare".

It also should OC with a proper cooling platform higher than 4Ghz without much of a fight something the 760 I5 Will likely not do.

If it was me Id get as strong a cooling solution as i could on the 3820FX Try for 4.4-4.5 GHZ or more if i could and be happy with what i have.

perhaps keep the 760I5 around as a spare incase either of your main rigs fail and then you have a pc around while waiting for warranty , Or make a homeserver @ stock if you don't have one.

If this argument was 930/950 vs 8320 It would be alot harder to decide because both would have 8 core use and the Intel memory bandwidth would be alot higher on the X58 platform then the 55.

Back