• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 12700k at 5.0/ 1.29 is hitting 80c in games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whats the problem here?
That was my question. :p

Welcome to Alder Lake. They can run hot stock, that's for sure. We need some info/details though!

I'm confused at your 5ghz and 1.29V mention because 5 GHz is stock boost for that chip. So, are you running stock and setting the voltage manually to 1.29V, or is that what you're seeing in gaming by default? If you're at default and this is bothering you (it shouldn't, these are good to well over 100C), run an offset to lower the voltage. if manual, can you lower it?

EDIT: You've had this system for months now... is this behavior new? Details, boss... details....!!!!

Last edited:
Could be your H150 cannot keep up?

I tend to think all AIO are weak with high output CPU's though.

That is a problem with me :)

I tend to think all AIO are weak with high output CPU's though.

That is a problem with me :)
I've run a couple of 3x120mm AIOs and they all perform similarly on these chips............because it's not the AIOs.......it's the chips and how they freely they use voltage on default settings. A vast majority of boards cannot even run a simple AIDA stress test (CPU/FPU/Cache with AVX, not 512) without thermally throttling these Alder Lake chips. I can overclock the 12900K to 5.1(all core, not boost)/4.1 GHz with a 3x120mm AIO.... because I use less voltage there overclocked than the system does at stock. I can set 1.25V for those clocks where at stock, I've seen 1.4V on turbo.

Yeah. stock basically. I have it at 1.29v. I think I need to reseat the cooler. I ordered a thermalright CPU contact frame, won't be here until the 13th. In the meantime I'll reseat it, maybe use the spread method instead of the long pea method I used.

Do you know what 5 looks like on a die (dice)? I put a larger blob in the center, and four smaller ones at the corner for Alder Lake. Works like a charm.... done it over 30 times between B660 and Z690.

Basically....nice. So.....to be clear, you didn't touch the clock speed/it's at default, but manually set the voltage to 1.29V, right? My 12900K needs 1.25V for 5.1/4.1 GHz... you can probably lower your voltage (and thus, temps). Reseating and repaste may help, but it feels like a lot of voltage for the clocks. Lower the voltage or maybe even leave it at stock. I think my 12900K hits ~70C in gaming at default.

I'll do that 5 dice thing (I know what you mean) and see if that helps. I'll also lower the voltage to 1.25 or around that and see if it is stable. Thanks again ED!

Honestly, if you're at stock (didn't touch the clockspeed), use a negative offset instead of static. If you set it as static, the voltage won't drop on idle.

Compare the two and see what you like. When I overclock, I like to set it static. But if it's stock and you're trying to save some degrees, use an offset. :)

My 12700K run with multi core enhancement with an offset voltage of -.055. Running Cinebench R23 for 10minute loops will not reacy 80C with an EK 280 AIO for cooling

Dependson how your board bends your chip. If you're chasing after every degree and overclocking heavily, why not. Otherwise, why? FTR, I don't use on... but run mostly at stock (or can run 5.2/4.1 all c/t).

I received the Thermalright contact frame early. Installed it and used the spread method that Jayz 2 Cents and DerBauer uses. The temps have dropped from 92c max to 82c max in Cinebench R23. Haven't tried in games yet though. I'll let ya's know. Still going up to 75c in games. Who knows....

Last edited:
Temps have gone up again, back into low 90's at 5.1 and 1.295 vcore override set. It gets even hotter if I use offset or adaptive. Screw it, good I have a warranty. Guess this cpu bracket thing isn't really doing much of anything.

I just got my 12700k on sunday paired with a Asus TUFF z690 Pro D4 wifi and cooling is nzxt x53 (240mm AIO). I manually set my oc to 5ghz syncd on all P cores, 4.1ghz syncd on all e-cores, LLC at5, vcore at static 1.3, RAM at 3600 XMP, ring disabled, cache at 4.1. In games I only see 58c, but Cr23 i see 89c. You shouldn't be seeing that high of temp in games.

I switched the bracket on my nzxt X53 today to a true 1700 LGA bracket, WOW the difference! I was honestly expecting very low change if at all. Temps in CR23 is now peaks at 81. Thats 8 deg difference just by using the correct LGA 1700 bracket. If anyone is using an asus board and stuck with their LGA1200 bracket, make the jump to the LGA1700 bracket, you wont be dissapointed.

Last edited:
I bought the 1700 standoffs before I bought the mobo.
You're talking the mounting backplate, right? Standoffs are the brass things the motherboard sits on.

Also, unless you two were playing the same game... not sure that dataset is terribly relevant. Temperatures can vary quite a bit depending on the title, and even settings of the game. ;)

Back