• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 12700k at 5.0/ 1.29 is hitting 80c in games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Those are good for a few C according to some reviews. Between that and the new spread, seems about right.
^ I’m still using the older intels. On those, the IMC speed also adds temps into the mix. <- just a thought (y)

Ok... I am a little disappointed. My cpu is spiking up to 82c in some games. It doesn't stay there long but damn man, I paid $340 for this new mobo, (Asus ROG Strix-F). I set the BIOS to use AI to OC since I don't know crap about these new chips. It got up to 47% OC but with these temps pisses me off. I don't know how to manually OC on this board and can't find anything online. I was playing Forza Horizon 5 and the game shut down after awhile. It didn't freeze or bsod but it kicked me off the game, right when I was winning too!
Can you guys help me out here.... Yes again... : (

Ok... I am a little disappointed. My cpu is spiking up to 82c in some games. It doesn't stay there long but damn man, I paid $340 for this new mobo, (Asus ROG Strix-F). I set the BIOS to use AI to OC since I don't know crap about these new chips. It got up to 47% OC but with these temps pisses me off. I don't know how to manually OC on this board and can't find anything online. I was playing Forza Horizon 5 and the game shut down after awhile. It didn't freeze or bsod but it kicked me off the game, right when I was winning too!
Can you guys help me out here.... Yes again... : (
First thing, I wouldn't use any auto OC for anything. They are notorious for overvolting it doesn't matter who makes it. Also, if you're using AISuite and have it open during gaming, don't! That software could be the root of many of your issues. Also, don't use multiple monitoring software simultaneously, as they conflict with each other.
Overclocking is relatively the same no matter the board; some terms are a bit different, but that isn't going to matter for a casual overclocker. On top of that, the process is still the same, make some changes and test it.
I would suggest, as has been said previously, leaving the CPU at stock for now and testing with a negative offset for the voltage, keep lowering it until Cinebench crashes, then come back up a bit. You should be able to make that machine run a bit cooler. For quick stability/ temp testing, CB R23 works quite well.
As for Forza crashing, that doesn't sound like a CPU/heat issue. Sounds more like a RAM issue or background software interference.

Ok, I turned off the AI optimized OC. I am now using XTU because I don't understand all the BIOS mumbo jumbo they changed with this chip. Also you said something about AI Suite not being good for gaming. Does that include Asus Studio for sound? I like using that because it makes the sound much better, but if it is also bad, I will turn it off too.

Great... Now I have static on my games. Only when I have chrome open though. I'm seriously thinking of selling this shitshow. How do I include a video?

I have no idea how the ASUS Studio interacts with the system. Personally, I won't install any software that isn't necessary, but that's me. Instead, I'd install the Realtek ALC 4080 drivers from Realtek rather than ASUS' bloated software. I'm not sure if it's still available, but AISuite was so intrusive ASUS used to offer a removal program since simply uninstalling it wouldn't remove it.
XTU will work, but I can see issues already. XTU and AISuite will start with Windows, and both pieces of software need low-level access to your hardware, which can cause instability and inaccurate readings since they both access the same sensors.
I'm adding a BIOS shot here from an ASUS Z690 board, not yours but ASUS BIOS is pretty standard. It shows the voltage option you need to change. Once you select it you should be given options to switch it to either manual or adaptive or offset. Then select a negative setting for the offset then input a value such as 0.05 and test if that works then try 0.08 and test.

z690 BIOS voltage.jpg

Ok... I am a little disappointed. My cpu is spiking up to 82c in some games. It doesn't stay there long but damn man, I paid $340 for this new mobo, (Asus ROG Strix-F). I set the BIOS to use AI to OC since I don't know crap about these new chips. It got up to 47% OC but with these temps pisses me off.
So if you're hitting 82C in gaming using auto overclocking... it makes sense. This is nothing new (CPU behavior) and something we've talked about with you in the past. :)

Maybe you're better off with a pre-built and paid support for your machine? Looking from the outside in, it seems like every time you touch something it messes your system up and even after all these years here, basic troubleshooting seems foreign.

Heya! I'm running a 12700k as well. ASUS Micro ITX motherboard.

5.0 GHz all P Core - 4.0 E Core - 4.8 Ring
1.33 Vcore set
1.27 Vcore get (during full load)
LLC- Level 5

L2 Cache Voltage: 1.24
VCCSA: 1.25
IMC Voltage: 1.25

My cooler is an H100i Elite Capellix, so much smaller than your H150.
The temperatures you're receiving are definitely abnormal, and are what I receive during stress testing - not gaming.

What is your LLC set to? I don't recommend above level 5 for ASUS Z690 boards

Have you made a custom fan curve in iCUE? (Mine hits 75% at 60 C and stays there)

What is your pump speed set to in iCUE? (I have it set to balanced - silent WILL increase your temperatures drastically).

And lastly, what thermal paste are you using? I'm using Thermal Grizzly.

I also have the contact frame, and applied it via GamersNexus instructional video.

My temperatures during gaming never go above 60 C - even in the most intensive titles.

Edit: I just read that you're using AI Overclocking - in which case, that's probably the culprit, as stated above.

Back